14-18 Now - When the arts do The Great War

Still now sure what to make of this.
I imagine it will trump all other school activities aimed at teaching about the conflict since it appears to focus on Women, millions of africans, draft dodgers, spanish flu and Communists!

Has anybody seen the film that is on the site?

Season 2018 - 14-18 NOW

We all know how much "artists" extort their clients.......I wonder how much they fleeced the taxpayer for those exhibits interpretations of the war?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
its all very surreal
oddly there is a section devoted to African Porters and carriers who served during the war
but nothing about the Chinese, many of whom got far closer to the battle and were killed in their hundreds

Still now sure what to make of this.
I imagine it will trump all other school activities aimed at teaching about the conflict since it appears to focus on Women, millions of africans, draft dodgers, spanish flu and Communists!

Has anybody seen the film that is on the site?

Season 2018 - 14-18 NOW

We all know how much "artists" extort their clients.......I wonder how much they fleeced the taxpayer for those exhibits interpretations of the war?
A powerful tribute to the millions of darkies and wimmin who perished in the trenches fighting over who had the best pigeons. Worth every penny!

FFS! If they want to do the ethnic side of things why don't they highlight the hundreds of thousands of Indians who fought and died in all theatres of war. Or the Askaris fighting von Lettow-Vorbeck in Southern Africa? Its not as if they're lacking for subject matter - it was a World war after all! Fought by the whole of the British Empire.

Last edited:
FFS! If they want to do the ethnic side of things why don't they highlight the hundreds of thousands of Indians who fought and died in all theatres of war. Or the Askaris fighting von Lettow-Vorbeck in Southern Africa? Its not as if they're lacking for subjects - it was a World war after all! Fought by the whole of the British Empire.
East Africa. Famous for HMS Mimi and Toutou. A very overlooked campaign for any involved.

Things have improved somewhat in Canada since Norm Christie did his 6-part "For King and Empire" series nearly 20 years ago, but when I was growing up all the documentaries about WWI that I was exposed to in school dealt with either the internment of enemy aliens, the conscription crisis of 1918 (and how Quebec was such a victim), or worst of all, "The Kid Who Couldn't Miss", a National Film Board "docudrama" that portrayed Billy Bishop, VC, CB, DSO & Bar as a liar and a fraud.

This popped up in a news feed of mine about 1418now, and I'm certainly impressed enough by the preview that I'd definitely watch the finished product.