13Jul09 Defence Parliamentary Question - Very Disappointing.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Jul 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've just watched Defence Parliamentary Questions. It was very disappointing. Ainsworth was dire but frankly the Tories did not press him much.

Tom Watson (Lab) West Brom E. Asked a question about kit and numbers. Aisnworth ignored the q about numbers and bleeted the mantra about how wonderful the kit is.

Nadine Dorries (Con) Mid Beds asked whether the Generals were wrong when they say we don't have enough troops. Ainsworth said that the military commanders are not saying that to him and went back to blleting about how great kit is.

Ainsworth said repeatedly that opposition MPs who question the Government are not supporting the troops and are playing politics at this critical time. Rather along the line of what they accused commanders who speak out. This seems to be a standard ZaNU Labour tactic. If you question them you are playing politics.

I can only conclude that on a day when several front pages of newspapers are highlighting government lies the lack of robust holding to account by the Tories is because they intend to continue the same policy of cutting the Defence budget and cutting back the numbers of the Armed Forces.

2. BA, sounds like normal drills from the politicos then :evil: :evil:

3. The opposition were hopeless. It was like Ainsworth was being savaged by damp teddy bear. No one challenged his 60% increase in helicopters bit at all, although someone did draw parallels with the number of airframes the similar sized force the spams have available, but then didn't press the point. :(

4. Most of them are too busy working out how to fiddle their expenses or second homes allowances to care about poor old Tommy Atkins.

5. BuggerAll

Quite.

He was followed by Brown (an idiot) who is blathering about the G8 conference (Bam Bam this Bam Bam that Bam Bam says I'm wonderful...) but started of with a statement about Afghanistan.

Actually it started as a good speech. He appeared to have some grasp of the issues and even talked about strategy. Unfortunately it didn't last. When he got onto specifics he started lying as usual. According to Brown (an idiot) his shower have provided everything that military leaders have asked for and all leaders are completely satisfied. Nobody wants more troops on the ground - unless they are from our allies and 2010 or 2011 (OK 2013) is plenty of time to send over a few more choppers, there not really needed now anyway.

6. The Tories no longer have the forces interests at heart, they kept quiet because they know they don't have any answers themselves.

We have all taken a bite out of a giant s**t sandwhich, in Afghanstan.

7. Excuse me for being a bit of a thickie, but are politicians supposed to be playing politics ?

8. [quote="BuggerAll] send over a few more choppers.....[/quote]

Plenty of them in the HoC during today's session :roll:

9. Maybe they thought it was bad form to taunt a retard?

10. BuggerAll

Doesn't usually stop them having a pop at the retard in chief.

11. [quote="..... and 2010 or 2011 (OK 2013) is plenty of time to send over a few more choppers, there not really needed now anyway.[/quote]

Ever time I've heard mention of extra helicopters it has not been stated definitely that there would be more machines. The suggestion was that we would get "hours" from our allies or that flying hours have been increased. Subtle use of the English language.

12. BuggerAll

Ever time I've heard mention of extra helicopters it has not been stated definitely that there would be more machines. The suggestion was that we would get "hours" from our allies or that flying hours have been increased. Subtle use of the English language.[/quote]

No we've already got those. 80% increase in hours - according to Ainsworth so it must be true (triumph of hope over experience) but we're getting lots of luverly merlins 2nd hand off the Danes and we taking the 8 Chinooks out of the hangers they were being stored in (Odiham) and fixing them and were buying a new thing something cat.... and fixing the Merlins that had years of abuse in Iraq.

Don't get me wrong all these things are desperately needed but they were desperately needed years ago. Oh sorry they weren't becasue ZaNU Labour says so. If you say otherwise you are playing politics.

13. Not sure I agree with you CK, with the current Gov pissing the cash up the wall as if there is no tomorrow a new Gov is going to be hardpressed to put recruits through basic let alone fund a war. Sorry the longer these muppets run the asylum the bigger the shock we are going to have when they have to hand over the cash book as Brown is booted into touch along with his reserve team! :evil:

14. The government is too appalling to comment upon. Sadly, the 'Opposition' seem to be competing with New Labour for the 'Hopeless and Non-Effective Prize'.

PS: I belong to the Tory Party!

15. Please don't think the newspapers are doing this for our sake! They're doing it because a weak government and dead soldiers are good copy - nothing else. These ******* will drop the Services (the Army in particular) as soon as something more potent comes along. I'm afraid we're just the anti-Brown weapon of choice right now. Just wait until the election run up and they start getting aboard health, education and the rest of the welfare state. - we'll have been royally forgotten by then because Defence doesn't win votes and never will.

The 'lack of robust holding to account' by Tories is because, like Labour, there ain't many soldiers in their ranks. I worked with Patrick Mercer in NI and frankly I'm surpised he hasn't been harder on them. Or am I?