131 Indep Cdo Sqn

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Zac110571, Jan 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello ARRSE,
    After some deliberation on rejoining TA after 11 years (age 38 now) I have decided to enquire at 131 Indep Cdo Sqn (301 Troop). Seems a good choice for me as I wanted AACC training and engineer skills would be a bonus. I was interested in RMR but found their upper age limit is 32 but CAN give an age waiver. I decided they may be a lot of younger recruits and may feel 'out of it'.
    Just wondered if anyone has any info regarding older recruits joining 131 Indep Cdo Sqn and what the selection process is like..i.e..how long , same phys as RMR ? Thanks.

2. You do phase 1 and then get sent off to AACC when they think youre fit enough to do so. I would suggest being able to run sub 9.30 PFT and being able to comfortably do 60 push ups in two mins and 70 sit ups in the same time before presenting yourself at their TAC. First impressions and all that. As long as you are fit and keen, there is no good reason why they wouldnt take you on. Good luck.

3. Thanks for that. The fitness seems a high standard for recruit. I will be honest and say I run once or twice a week doing 2k in an easy 15-20 mins. I also do a daily 30 situps and 10 pull uops before work with a small amount of dumbell work. My job makes it easy to gain weight as there's no physical involved. I may need to wait a while and get my fitness up a level or two but thanks.

4. Considering that a PFT is 2.4km, you may need to knock a few minutes off of your time.

5. Seeing as neither of the above replies to your question are particularly useful and/or accurate, the best thing you can do is get yourself along there on a Tuesday evening and speak to them yourself.

They will advise you on fitness standards that need to be achieved at certain points in training. Just going along for a look doesn't commit you to anything and if you want to leave it a couple of months to get your fizz up, that is up to you.

Don't leave it too long, though - it is possible to pass the course as an old basta*d but the older you are the harder it gets.

It is worth noting that 131 get more passes (percentage of those attempting the RFCC) than any other unit.

6. Thanks Gangrene, I was just grateful for a reply so I don't hold it against them :D . The run I do I just found out is 1.4 miles in 15-20 easy jog but still need to improve. I will take your advice and go and see them on Tuesday or Wednesday I think. Thanks.