13 year old Girl Dies In London Police Pursuit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cavemandave, Jan 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A 13-year-old girl has died in a crash involving a car which was being pursued by police in south east London.

The teenager was travelling with her mother, father and brother in Ilderton Road, New Cross, on Sunday when their Volkswagen Polo and a Peugeot 308 that was being chased by a marked police car collided.

The girl, who was in the rear of the car, died at the scene from her injuries, Scotland Yard said.

More follows...

Girl Dies In Police Pursuit Crash

2. Having just been involved in a RTA which rolled my car with the whole family inside, I could not imagine the horror when asking if everone was allright and not hearing both my children reply.

• Like Like x 1
  3. This happens too many times, and it isn't the Policecars fault (99.9% of ht etime). No doubt there will be cretins yelling that Police should stop pursuits, and issue 'requests' for the perps to come in to the Police station (in a safe manner) for a chat.

Why hasn't the law been changed? If a Police car persues you for more than 1km you are going to get a fine for every meter you've avoided the law, car crushed, licence revoked for ever.
  4. What a nightmare for this family. Rest in Peace to their child and my condolences to them.

Is there a case for a manslaughter prosecution against the cretin driving the speeding car?

As far as I'm aware, there are guidelines for high speed car chases. I would hope the officers involved were following them but I expect they are more than upset by the tragic death of this young girl. I hope they are ok.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

You assume that it's their car and they have licences, mate. My mate's mother was hit in something similar, but happily walked away from it. The bastard driving the stolen car was screaming abuse at her for 'getting in the way' from inside the upside-down car he was in. Quite shook up a woman in her late sixties.

The police at the scene told her that they knew the other driver - very well, in fact. He didn't get a custodial sentence, though, and an innocent party's nearly-new car was completely written off (and, of course, the insurance money never quite stretches to a like-for-like replacement...).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. A tragic incident that again highlights the total disregard and lack of respect for any authority by the minority of young people in this country. They are well aware that the courts will had out some paltry "punishment" and if the worst does come to the worst, they will be imprisoned in a facility that will cater for their every need. Sadly the victims will long be forgotten whilst these shitbags are rehabilitated using the tax that those poor people are probably paying. Disgusting.
  7. As much as I have sympathy with the victim in this, the blame lies squarely with the driver of the car involved. If you decide to run then expect to be chased, if he had stopped he would have been made to walk, his car seized etc. and the kid would still be alive.

The poor coppers who will now probably be suspended while an internal investigation is carried out. It is not as though the police are armed and likely to shoot you.
  8. I've had to bury two of my kids, one of them was killed in an RTA, I know where the parent s are now, gubbed for life.

I can't blame the police though, they should pursue, it's just a shame that our legal system doesn't allow fuckwitted criminal's hats to be nailed on in such cases.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. A sad loss, but the blame sits squarely on the shoulders of the driver of the car being chased, and the injured were all in the car being chased if I read the report correctly, sparse as it is. What moron 'fails to stop' with his own kids in the car? It'd be bad enough if it was just some scrote and his mates.

I predict a long and thorough investigation of the police involved in the incident, the scrote getting off because of his tragic loss and him slagging off the police and the way they 'murdered his baby', over every 'state funded' pint he has in the future. He'll probably drive home afterwards as well.
  10. The law does allow the driver of the (non-police) vehicle to be held liable in these circumstances, but more likely as a charge of Death by Dangerous Driving rather than Manslaughter. The sentence is likely to be similar, whichever offence is preferred.

These incidents are always tragic, and I have seen several in my career. I cannot imagine how I would feel if it was my child. However, if we don't pursue vehicles, every single scumbag in a stolen vehicle, bootload of drugs, etc, will *always* make off. The risk assessment criteria for vehicle pursuits are so stringent, far more are called off than are actually followed through - road conditions, vehicles involved, likelihood of pedestrians - even the safety of the pursued driver is considered (however rightly or wrongly). The drivers involved in these pursuits are also more highly trained than the standard response drivers, who in turn are more highly trained than the basic drivers. We try and try to mitigate the likelihood of these collisions happening and the almost inevitable fatalities and serious injuries that result when they do, but they do still happen.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. My bold. I'm sure your mate's mother didn't find it so funny at the time, but I would have paid good money to watch that.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. rgjb, the offence is "causing death by negligent driving". A custodial would be unlikely unless the driver was impaired or had previous.
  13. Try Dangerous driving

Dangerous Driving: Fact Sheets: News Centre: The Crown Prosecution Service

I'd agrue that racing, going too fast, or driving aggressively, ignoring traffic lights, road signs or warnings from passengers and overtaking dangerously. All considered by the Courts already as dangerous driving, which should apply in this case. Gets you 1 to 14 years in nick if convicted of Causing death by dangerous driving
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

You've misread the report, PP. The teenager was in a second car, hit by the one being chased.