13 South African soldiers killed in CAR

Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by whitecity, Mar 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Jacob Zuma - 13 South African soldiers killed in CAR

Thirteen South African soldiers were killed in the Central African Republic as rebels seized the capital, Bangui, over the weekend, President Jacob Zuma has said.

Mr Zuma said South Africa was "proud" of the soldiers who had fought against the "bandits".

South Africa had about 200 troops stationed in Bangui to block Seleka rebels from seizing power.

Cont/...

BBC News - Jacob Zuma - 13 South African soldiers killed in CAR

2. Similar to this is the amazing figure that during a deliberate attack to clear rebels in Mogadishu about 12-18 months ago, the Burundians lost 80 or so, yes 80, soldiers in one day.

3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Did they sell them their rifles prior to the attack?

4. So nothing to do with protecting the ANC regime's cronies and their mining interests then...?

5. Not surprised with the Burundian figures. During my time there, nasty rumours were going around of having to get them likkered up before they'd go into a firefight. The Prez would also sleep in an armoured car due to the number of attacks on his residence.

6. Just a quick question to the SAffers out there.

How good/bad is the Army and Airforce,Navy for that matter thses days?

Still got the tanks, oliphant , aircraft, and subs?

7. Very little of it working, aircraft mothballed due to not enough crews, subs aground on a mountain of empty bean cans in dock, standards verging on the ridiculous. See the African Infantryman thread for more.

8. Christ, things really have gone downhill then?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

9. I would hazard a guess that the SA Army is a pale (or darker) imitation of the way it was pre ANC

10. I read a piece in the Telegraph about 6 months ago regarding this. Apparently, once the ANC settled in they started a policy of 'Prizes for All' in both the Military and the Police. Suffice to say, standards are not what they once where.

11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Lets put it this way. - everyone is very lucky that the Zimbo's are even more screwed up otherwise Bob could make a move and take the place over.

12. I had a kiddie from Zim on a course with me around 6 or years ago and he reckoned that SA was going to go the way Zim had gone within 10 - 15 years.

I used to chat to the biltong bloke (well hung meat shop) in MK he used to tell me that there were around 500,000 Safi's in the UK, I keep meeting them here in the US too. Seems like everyone who could get out and make a living fecked off PDQ.

Here's a question for you: I had a Safi ask me if i knew where he could get a subdued Safi flag patch ..... as he put it "not the feckin new amtrak design, the old one". Any ideas?

13. Yes everyone who can make a living has gone. All of them. Every single one.

14. Lots of Saffas in Sydney, not living in the cheaper areas for the most part. Good on 'em for getting out.

15. Some years ago I was on a course run by a freshly-emigrated saffa. During a break someone asked him if the crime problem in RSA was really as bad as it was made out to be. His reply was WTTE that it's actually worse, since some of the really horrific cases aren't publicised. No idea if it's true or not, but he seemed quite sincere, and very glad to be here.