13 Signal Regiment

I assume that they'll still be practising offensive cyber, in order to learn how to defend against it. Both of which can be done by amateurs and professionals alike.
If you are talking small scale hacking using open source tools perhaps but given the make up of the regiment and the roles of each Sqn there is little scope for that. All defensive cyber is commercial best practice and off the shelf tools and lots and lots of patching and auditing.

Take the prowler guard in a barracks, they are there to make sure the fence is intact, secure buildings are secure and there is no unexplained damage and to make sure unknown and/or suspicious individuals are challenged.

Network security is little different and mainly achieved by automated tools, but put the word cyber in front of security and the participants suddenly start to think they are a cross between Einstein and James Bond.

Last edited:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
If you are talking small scale hacking using open source tools perhaps but given the make up of the regiment and the roles of each Sqn there is little scope for that. All defensive cyber is commercial best practice and off the shelf tools and lots and lots of patching and auditing.

Take the prowler guard in a barracks, they are there to make sure the fence is intact, secure buildings are secure and there is no unexplained damage and to make sure unknown and/or suspicious individuals are challenged.

Network security is little different and mainly achieved by automated tools, but put the word cyber in front of security and the participants suddenly start to think they are a cross between Einstein and James Bond.
Well, there's a little more to it than that, but, certainly, I don't see 13 Sig Regt doing real-world offensive cyber any time soon; in fact, I'd be amazed if the military *ever* did it, except under very tight national-level control and probably only then by supplying the resources to allow it to happen.

I'm not sure what you're getting at but this the potential to be a good stepping stone for other more interesting posts. I have no doubt that we will do our best to **** it up but the good lads will shine through (as long as they sit on the right part of the bell curve).

I'm not sure what you're getting at but this the potential to be a good stepping stone for other more interesting posts. I have no doubt that we will do our best to **** it up but the good lads will shine through (as long as they sit on the right part of the bell curve).
I don't doubt that and don't disagree I am simply challenging those who thing it is something that it is not. What it is though is very important

I'll engage with the witty remark - in a total fusion concept the DCO team must have access and be in the same building as the OCO team.
What on earth are you wittering on about? What total fusion concept would this be?

You are simply full of fantasy
Why am I full of fantasy - so can OCO and DCO be done in isolation? Do they need to feed into one another along with C5ISR and be part of the intelligence cycle? Or as you say the OCO team just sit in the Joint CySoc in isolation? I'm interested as to which part of my fantasy is untrue.

Well, there's a little more to it than that, but, certainly, I don't see 13 Sig Regt doing real-world offensive cyber any time soon; in fact, I'd be amazed if the military *ever* did it, except under very tight national-level control and probably only then by supplying the resources to allow it to happen.
You are correct OCO are an act of war. The OCO capability doesn't reside with the military per se. This is an interesting subject but not really for discussion on here

Latest Threads