13,000 homeless ex-soldiers

What about a load of hungry men who know how to use a knife to penetrate a lung?
And women.

Although, if pushed, I'd probably use a letter opener.

First of all, ELCAS is only available on certain courses at certain times, for example, if you are a infantryman, you can only use ECLAS associates with the infantry. Going through resettlement, again the restrictions on ELCAS are laughable. Why do you think thousands of soldiers are learning fiber optic cabling? Because their isn't much else to study. Same restrictions apply with the SLC. Secondly, a starting wage is 18k a year? Not going to get much of a mortgage on that, even if you do utilize the forces help to buy. Have I missed anything?
North of the Watford Gap, there are plenty of areas where homes are affordable and with a 50k mortgage you can have a home, sometimes less in some areas

I'm quite mixed on the whole subject of "PTSD", I'm sure the best way to let it go is to simply stop obsessing over the whole subject of "I served my country"... people can get on with life, it's not like people in the Police and Ambulance service don't go through traumatic events either is it? I found the best way to let go of the Army was simply to focus on something else on a day to day basis
Just for the record, most PTSD sufferers are civvies who's closest brush with the military is that they saw a war film once.

Echo On

On ROPS
On ROPs
North of the Watford Gap, there are plenty of areas where homes are affordable and with a 50k mortgage you can have a home, sometimes less in some areas
A lot of servicemen go into the forces with problems at home, they put them to one side and when they leave those problems have been sitting festering for an age resurface. The military only now addresses the service related mental health problems.

North of the Gap, the councils have plenty of civilians who have been on lists for a period, only in the very worst areas, miles away from anything, are the cheapest housing, all the civilian agencies and charities are focused on particular special interest groups and ex-squaddies are more likely to be drinkers than druggies and that addiction is frowned upon, rather than supported.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just for the record, most PTSD sufferers are civvies who's closest brush with the military is that they saw a war film once.
Or accidentally logged on to Arrse.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I met an ex-bootie in a pub years ago (in his 30's), had been making his way round the country and still had his id et all, He didn't seem bothered by his routine which consisted of scraping enough wedge together for some scran during the day then and a bottle of wine in the pub for the night, while charging his phone on the pub's leccy. The only thing he was complaining about was his back while sleeping rough, and a piss free bush to sleep under. He said the wine helped to knock him out and numb his back issues.

I often wonder if he found what he was looking for, Hopefully, he passed a fiver on to someone less fortunate than him if he has settled.

Echo On

On ROPS
On ROPs
I met an ex-bootie in a pub years ago (in his 30's), had been making his way round the country and still had his id et all, He didn't seem bothered by his routine which consisted of scraping enough wedge together for some scran during the day then and a bottle of wine in the pub for the night, while charging his phone on the pub's leccy. The only thing he was complaining about was his back while sleeping rough, and a piss free bush to sleep under. He said the wine helped to knock him out and numb his back issues.

I often wonder if he found what he was looking for, Hopefully, he passed a fiver on to someone less fortunate than him if he has settled.
Its really sad, did he give a cogent reason for his wanderings or still lying to himself about the reasons ?

Its really sad, did he give a cogent reason for his wanderings or still lying to himself about the reasons ?
No, he didn't, per say. He sparked the convo when he eyeballed my surname/SN on my daysack (Tuesday night 1/4 day), I got the impression it was something personal & didn't ask too many questions apart from his travels. I did mention he should get in touch with the associations or Sally Ann (that's when his ID came out), He winced at the latter iirc.

Still, I wonder.

Oh yeah, He didn't ask me for anything, I gave him a fiver as I left the pub.

Echo On

On ROPS
On ROPs
No, he didn't, per say. He sparked the convo when he eyeballed my surname/SN on my daysack (Tuesday night 1/4 day), I got the impression it was something personal & didn't ask too many questions apart from his travels. I did mention he should get in touch with the associations or Sally Ann (that's when his ID came out), He winced at the latter iirc.

Still, I wonder.

Oh yeah, He didn't ask me for anything, I gave him a fiver as I left the pub.
Hopefully he will find the proverbial end of his wanders and enjoy whats left of his life.