13,000 homeless ex-soldiers

Councilling from ex rock apes might help as they manfully reject homelessness as 'it's a bit nippy out' and shouting at pigeons is 'needlessly combative'.

You don't seem to see many homeless ex-sailors knocking about on the streets do you?

There is a reason for that.

We did better at school ;)
Or they are accustomed to selling their bodies for enough cash to keep the roof overhead.:p

Gents is any ex serviceman 'Civilian' normal on leaving the old mob ?
Given the chance we associate with former members and still 30 years later talk of and remember the old times when we young and up for it.
As several football mangers have said 'Everyone played a good game'.
Some guys fall by the wayside, mental problems or just not being able to make it in a society where most just look after themselves and F the rest.
I did 20 odd years in civvy street, detested it for there was little in the way of Comradeship and Loyalty to ones workmates, or perhaps I was just unlucky with my choice of jobs.
Now I am lucky to live where I have been able to make friends and settle down for first time since I left the Army.
I am genuinely sorry for those who cannot find a place in life now that they have given their best years to the service of their Country.

john

Gents is any ex iserviceman 'Civilian' normal on leaving the old mob ?
Given the chance we associate with former members and still 30 years later talk of and remember the old times when we young and up for it.
Some guys fall by the wayside, mental problems or just not being able to make it in a society where most just look after themselves and F the rest.
I did 20 odd years in civvy street, detested it for there was little in the way of Comradeship and Loyalty to ones workmates, or perhaps I was just unlucky with my choice of jobs.
Now I am lucky to live where I have been able to make friends and settle down for first time since I left the Army.
I am genuinely sorry for those who cannot find a place in life now that they have given their best years to the service of their Country.

john
I have met many guys who have 'served' that do not know what a MOD90 is

I'm quite mixed on the whole subject of "PTSD", I'm sure the best way to let it go is to simply stop obsessing over the whole subject of "I served my country"... people can get on with life, it's not like people in the Police and Ambulance service don't go through traumatic events either is it? I found the best way to let go of the Army was simply to focus on something else on a day to day basis

One wonders if we had labour running the country and had the disgrace of huge numbers of tramps lining the streets {ex forces or not}, I prefer the word tramps/vagrants to describe them, in fact I would arrest them all for vagrancy,if there isn't a vagrancy act right now I would bring one in. . But my point is, it seems to me, as we have a conservative in just name government running the show that critcism on this site is a little stifled. The new tory party bears no relation to the one of old, and it was clear when we had the disgusting david cameron digging up his dead sons corpse whenever anyone dared to question his attack on the sick and disabled.

I despise both labour and the tory party in equal measure but it seems to me, the tories don't get the abject hatred they ought to get for their part in turning this country into a third world toilet, especially with their current leader who is bending over backward right now to take in even more syrian 'children' to satisfy the whims of the snowflakes in the media, who will despise her whatever she does. And if she had any balls, she would instead of blaming the NHS crisis just on the elderly {most of whom paid taxes all their lives} tell a few home truths about the strain our 'guests' cause the NHS, and just what the increase in population size has done. also. Iam sick of the british born elderly getting it in the neck from the media of all sides And frankly, if we still had cottage hospitals, rehab hospitals and social care worth a damn,which governments of all sides of fucked up, maybe we wouldn't have the problems the grey brigade cause now.

Sorry but I almost just have to walk out the front door to see the damage done by the current government, street dwellers sleeping in doorways, some ranting at people going to work.What a disgrace, what a shameful image for what many fought for. Politicians of all parties should be hung for it.

, I prefer the word tramps/vagrants to describe them, in fact I would arrest them all for vagrancy,if there isn't a vagrancy act right now I would bring one in.
What sentence could a court (or magistrate) impose? A fine (they have no money)? Community Work? Tagging? Prison perhaps, which costs us (taxpayers) a very large sum of money.

Gents is any ex serviceman 'Civilian' normal on leaving the old mob ?

john
What are you, a Chelsea pensioner?

this problem is going to explode. Very dangerous situation,
Really? I don't think a load of drunken ex-squaddies windmilling outside offies will be considered dangerous.

In the years to come, with many squaddies unable to afford a home whilst serving never mind when they are out, lack of decent education for civilian qualifications and the worst military pension in recent memory, this problem is going to explode. Very dangerous situation, the nation is going to have a lot of men skilled in violence, sleeping rough, going hungry and very pissed off
There are plenty of cheap houses around to get on the mortgage ladder early on in a career, LSAP has been dropped to those joining now, Loads of education opportunities available - including the ELCAS £6000 and £175 per year. Some people need to look at themselves and prepare for outside live, not living on a disposable income, going on the razz constantly - so the above statement doesn't follow

What about a load of hungry men who know how to use a knife to penetrate a lung?
Whatever you do, don't drink your turps and then light a fag.

Or do.

Research from the University of York highlights how some vulnerable former Servicemen and women slip through the net and end up homeless after leaving the Armed Forces. Funded by various charities.

https://s22009.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/REPORT-ON-HOUSING-FOR-SINGLE-VETERANS.pdf

The problem isn't as huge as some would have us believe. Also worth noting is how many people accessing these services have served less than a year. One org claims something like 75% of clients identified their rank as recruit.
Affording Veteran status to everybody who served has skewed statistics. I fail to see how that helps anything.

I was homeless in London for ten months late 90's and didn't meet any ex forces that I knew of. That was the same time someone told Prince Charles crazy amounts of homeless were ex forces, something like 68%, although the figure seemed to vary. Money was made available which funnily enough got me off the street. There was never that amount of ex Forces living rough though, in my opinion.

D

Deleted 155007

Research from the University of York highlights how some vulnerable former Servicemen and women slip through the net and end up homeless after leaving the Armed Forces. Funded by various charities.

https://s22009.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/REPORT-ON-HOUSING-FOR-SINGLE-VETERANS.pdf

The problem isn't as huge as some would have us believe. Also worth noting is how many people accessing these services have served less than a year. One org claims something like 75% of clients identified their rank as recruit.
Affording Veteran status to everybody who served has skewed statistics. I fail to see how that helps anything.

I was homeless in London for ten months late 90's and didn't meet any ex forces that I knew of. That was the same time someone told Prince Charles crazy amounts of homeless were ex forces, something like 68%, although the figure seemed to vary. Money was made available which funnily enough got me off the street. There was never that amount of ex Forces living rough though, in my opinion.
They really shouldn't be classed as a veteran until at least one operational tour

In the years to come, with many squaddies unable to afford a home whilst serving never mind when they are out, lack of decent education for civilian qualifications and the worst military pension in recent memory, this problem is going to explode. Very dangerous situation, the nation is going to have a lot of men skilled in violence, sleeping rough, going hungry and very pissed off
Why are they unable to afford a home whilst serving?

Squaddies can start a private pension, just like anyone else.

Squaddies are well trained, employers find their service invaluable, there are resettlement packages available as well as higher education funding.

The nation will undoubtedly have some service people sleeping tough, it’ll also have more that pretend they served.

First of all, ELCAS is only available on certain courses at certain times, for example, if you are a infantryman, you can only use ECLAS associates with the infantry. Going through resettlement, again the restrictions on ELCAS are laughable. Why do you think thousands of soldiers are learning fiber optic cabling? Because their isn't much else to study. Same restrictions apply with the SLC. Secondly, a starting wage is 18k a year? Not going to get much of a mortgage on that, even if you do utilize the forces help to buy. Have I missed anything?
FHTB is a separate Item (New properties) can claim WITH LSAP

You get 50% (LSAP) of your Yearly Salary so a £18k a year can get £9k

look up North on Righmove invest in property - don't have to live their during week (still get the £300 per month GYH). LINKY

ECLAS can be annoying (in the best interests of the Army) I know, just have to term it in the right wording to get around, but its available to do.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Really? I don't think a load of drunken ex-squaddies windmilling outside offies will be considered dangerous.
They were bloody dangerous in 'Munster!'