12th of July Festival in NI

With the twelth of July Orange Day celebrations imminant I did some reading into the history books, in order to better understand what it's all about. Here's some fun facts I discovered :

Fun fact #1 : William of Orange the 3rd married his 15 year old cousin Mary Stuart when he was 27 because she was heir to the English throne.

Fun fact #2 : the Catholic king James he deposed in England was his catholic uncle/ father in law.

Fun fact #3 : From his wife's death In 1694 to his own demise in 1702 he had no female companion yet several male associates. These relationships with male friends, and his apparent lack of mistresses, led William's enemies to suggest that he might prefer homosexual relationships. Some scholars suggest his saucy letters could add support to this claim.

Fun fact 4#: Due to a mistake in calculations, In 1752 the change to the Gregorian calendar necessitated a re-calculation of all historical anniversaries. The Battle of the Boyne was actually on 1st July. Additionally many people mix up the day of the Williamite Wars, the Battle of Aughrim which was fought on July 12th, 1691.

Fun fact #5, : It's not about protestant or catholic at all. William of Orange had the support of the Pope and there where catholics fighting on both sides, as were protestants. It was all about politics in the end - with a few supporters even merrily switching sides during the war. After the death of his wife William actually changed his religion to anglican, the denomination of his opponent James before he converted to catholicism in 1668. For most people It was actually about supporting an absolutist or a parliamentary monarchy.

Fun fact #6: The Battle Wasn't About Ireland at All. Ultimately the battle was about an Englishman an and a Dutchman slugging it out over the English crown on a foreign field. Irish issues were never really raised and Irish freedom wasn't even mentioned.

Fun Fact #7: It wasn't a battle about the Irish against the English, either. A majority of James' troops were Irish with the support of French troops. William's force was even more diverse, with Dutch, German, French Huguenot and even Danish soldiers marching for him as part of the Grand Alliance. In simplistic terms It was the Grand Alliance vs France.

Fun fact #8: The quasi masonic association of Orange Order lodges did not always celebrate the Battle Of The Boyne. It has only done so since its creation in 1795, some 105 years after the battle occurred.

Fun fact #9: Scholars state its highly unlikely he rode a white horse despite very emotional claims from your granda Jim.

Fun fact #10 : In March 1690, 4000 Grand Alliance troops arrived at Belfast to aid William, because they wanted William to get back to leading the war in Europe. At the same time, Louis 14th of France sent troops to aid James. He wanted to prolong the war in Ireland, so that William's attention would be diverted away from France for longer. Battle of the boyne was a proxy battle and a tactical distraction frrom the European one.

Final fact : The "glorious twelth" actually refers to the glorious revolution which refers to the November 1688 deposition and subsequent replacement of James 2nd by Mary Stuart and William of orange which is celibrated on the 11th July with lighting of bonfires. The true "glorious twelth" is the twelfth day of August, marking the start of the shooting season for red grouse .

So in summary the glorious twelth is the celibration of a dutchman who married his cousin, deposed his uncle/father in law and took the English crown . Who then went to Ireland supported by foreign troops from the grand alliance to thwart his uncles comeback supported by French troops. The battle of the boyne was a proxy battle fought on foreign soil as part of the nine years war.

And now I'm really confused what this 329 year old battle has to do with the somme, the ulster volunteer force, the IRA, the tricolour and Sinn Fein ‍♂.
Irish history, much like Scottish history has been re written and interpreted by both sides for hundreds of years. It's like the old joke says. What do you get if you have two Irishmen/Scotsmen in a bar?....

.....A fight.

I wear the flag of Britian on my right arm, do you?
If you wear the Union flag on your right arm, then it is the flag of Britain and Northern Ireland.
The boss said so on her coronation.

estwist

Old-Salt
This post was put up to gauge the opinion of current soldiers and former soldiers with open minds, that was my mistake. I'll be withdrawing from this thread as it hasn't brought out the most intelligent among you. Just the mong's and the old washed up senile pricks, which I shouldn't be surprised as this website is full of them and they all seem to be on this post. Which doesn't shock me as i'm sure many of you served in NI and love the orange men. Probably even sucked a few of them off while on deployment.

Now I was serious all of you with your views of Irish people the way they are, you'll be dead soon and your opinions will be invalid and not carried on through your mongo lineage. I'm confident ill climb the ranks and I'll make sure no one else in my section, platoon/regiment has that view that you guys share. And anyone I have encountered in real life has been real quick to change their tone about it. I know many of you mongs will have forgot about the real world, but so would I have if I was a wrinkly old racist prick

No wonder your warned against this website in training as I was in 2016, my screws shared the above views.

Hahahha okay bud, you washed up internet folk should know my nationality, come and ill prove it to you in PM pal bud guy senile?
Is this some kind of clever crossword clue?
I'm trying to make a word out of your anagram, pal bud guy senile.

estwist

Old-Salt
Is this some kind of clever crossword clue?
I'm trying to make a word out of your anagram, pal bud guy senile.
Good description of yourself there mate thanks for confirming it, read above you mong.

I may have read somewhere you were Irish or perhaps assuming because Murphy, but of course youve lost your identity, or your northern.

This post was put up to gauge the opinion of current soldiers and former soldiers with open minds, that was my mistake. I'll be withdrawing from this thread as it hasn't brought out the most intelligent among you. Just the mong's and the old washed up senile pricks, which I shouldn't be surprised as this website is full of them and they all seem to be on this post. Which doesn't shock me as i'm sure many of you served in NI and love the orange men. Probably even sucked a few of them off while on deployment.

Now I was serious all of you with your views of Irish people the way they are, you'll be dead soon and your opinions will be invalid and not carried on through your mongo lineage. I'm confident ill climb the ranks and I'll make sure no one else in my section, platoon/regiment has that view that you guys share. And anyone I have encountered in real life has been real quick to change their tone about it. I know many of you mongs will have forgot about the real world, but so would I have if I was a wrinkly old racist prick

No wonder your warned against this website in training as I was in 2016, my screws shared the above views.
Someone sounds angry.

If you wear the Union flag on your right arm, then it is the flag of Britain and Northern Ireland.
The boss said so on her coronation.
If its on a uniform.........mines is on the left.

Are you Irish guards or Royal Irish ?

Latest Threads