12th of July Festival in NI

Most Irish I've come across have been humourless, chippy gobshytes. The other half of the family are pretty ok though.

sore knees

Old-Salt
Some people,who live in places where there isn't a march on the 12th, find it so upsetting that they have no choice but to pack themselves into busses and travel to places where they are happening to be offended by it there. Once they get there it apparently offends them so much that they have no choice but to riot about it.

Not much 'imagining' needed.

View attachment 489172
Built on what looks like a slip road.
Only they would do that and nothing happens to them.
Nail head hammer, yup, driving miles to be offended.

While the pandemic has severely restricted the marching season I believe technology has saved the day:

1594581358150.png

Rossnowlagh is probably a unique parade in that the participants and their off-parade enemies have been warned to be good by two police forces....the rioting at the Love Ulster parade was started by Shinner scum and added to by the contents of two dodgy pubs (celtic jerseys to the fore, rent a mob brought in by the Shinners as well as a few local enthusiasts). The gardai took a lot of hits that day but paid it back in spades by jailing a serious amount of the scum involved, over the next few years....as for fleeing the 12th, I assure you that the temporary diaspora to avoid it goes far and wide. The people we met in the campsite and on the beach were quite afraid to be anywhere near the parades at home and in Rossnowlagh, a destination picked for convenience as it's easily reached from anywhere in NI. I've met people from NI much further South,getting away from the marching season,not just the Twelfth.

Interesting is not the word I would use.
Interesting is a bit of an understatement.
With the twelth of July Orange Day celebrations imminant I did some reading into the history books, in order to better understand what it's all about. Here's some fun facts I discovered :

Fun fact #1 : William of Orange the 3rd married his 15 year old cousin Mary Stuart when he was 27 because she was heir to the English throne.

Fun fact #2 : the Catholic king James he deposed in England was his catholic uncle/ father in law.

Fun fact #3 : From his wife's death In 1694 to his own demise in 1702 he had no female companion yet several male associates. These relationships with male friends, and his apparent lack of mistresses, led William's enemies to suggest that he might prefer homosexual relationships. Some scholars suggest his saucy letters could add support to this claim.

Fun fact 4#: Due to a mistake in calculations, In 1752 the change to the Gregorian calendar necessitated a re-calculation of all historical anniversaries. The Battle of the Boyne was actually on 1st July. Additionally many people mix up the day of the Williamite Wars, the Battle of Aughrim which was fought on July 12th, 1691.

Fun fact #5, : It's not about protestant or catholic at all. William of Orange had the support of the Pope and there where catholics fighting on both sides, as were protestants. It was all about politics in the end - with a few supporters even merrily switching sides during the war. After the death of his wife William actually changed his religion to anglican, the denomination of his opponent James before he converted to catholicism in 1668. For most people It was actually about supporting an absolutist or a parliamentary monarchy.

Fun fact #6: The Battle Wasn't About Ireland at All. Ultimately the battle was about an Englishman an and a Dutchman slugging it out over the English crown on a foreign field. Irish issues were never really raised and Irish freedom wasn't even mentioned.

Fun Fact #7: It wasn't a battle about the Irish against the English, either. A majority of James' troops were Irish with the support of French troops. William's force was even more diverse, with Dutch, German, French Huguenot and even Danish soldiers marching for him as part of the Grand Alliance. In simplistic terms It was the Grand Alliance vs France.

Fun fact #8: The quasi masonic association of Orange Order lodges did not always celebrate the Battle Of The Boyne. It has only done so since its creation in 1795, some 105 years after the battle occurred.

Fun fact #9: Scholars state its highly unlikely he rode a white horse despite very emotional claims from your granda Jim.

Fun fact #10 : In March 1690, 4000 Grand Alliance troops arrived at Belfast to aid William, because they wanted William to get back to leading the war in Europe. At the same time, Louis 14th of France sent troops to aid James. He wanted to prolong the war in Ireland, so that William's attention would be diverted away from France for longer. Battle of the boyne was a proxy battle and a tactical distraction frrom the European one.

Final fact : The "glorious twelth" actually refers to the glorious revolution which refers to the November 1688 deposition and subsequent replacement of James 2nd by Mary Stuart and William of orange which is celibrated on the 11th July with lighting of bonfires. The true "glorious twelth" is the twelfth day of August, marking the start of the shooting season for red grouse .

So in summary the glorious twelth is the celibration of a dutchman who married his cousin, deposed his uncle/father in law and took the English crown . Who then went to Ireland supported by foreign troops from the grand alliance to thwart his uncles comeback supported by French troops. The battle of the boyne was a proxy battle fought on foreign soil as part of the nine years war.

And now I'm really confused what this 329 year old battle has to do with the somme, the ulster volunteer force, the IRA, the tricolour and Sinn Fein ‍♂.
Two things were always guaranteed to get my mate Billy blowing steam out of his ears back in the day.
  • Reminding him that he was born in Berwick and therefore English.
  • Reminding him that King Billy was a homosexual sponsored by the pope.
Had to get your timing right otherwise he'd start swinging.

Rossnowlagh is probably a unique parade in that the participants and their off-parade enemies have been warned to be good by two police forces....the rioting at the Love Ulster parade was started by Shinner scum and added to by the contents of two dodgy pubs (celtic jerseys to the fore, rent a mob brought in by the Shinners as well as a few local enthusiasts). The gardai took a lot of hits that day but paid it back in spades by jailing a serious amount of the scum involved, over the next few years....as for fleeing the 12th, I assure you that the temporary diaspora to avoid it goes far and wide. The people we met in the campsite and on the beach were quite afraid to be anywhere near the parades at home and in Rossnowlagh, a destination picked for convenience as it's easily reached from anywhere in NI. I've met people from NI much further South,getting away from the marching season,not just the Twelfth.
I can't say how prevalent it is East of the Bann where the savages live, but in nearly 30 years of living in Tyrone and Fermanagh I have never heard of anyone leaving NI to avoid parades.

In the same way as I responded to your opening post, people of different races and religions can live under the same flag so it's not a racist thing. What it is is a symbolic way of attacking someone's identity in order to wind them up and piss them off.

It's not racism but if anything I would say it is tribalism. It's the same mentality that you see at football matches.
It’s sectarianism

Your kind of gunning for a reaction mate, but naaaah i still get love everywhere I go, and am proud of my nation and heritage. Can you say the same? But any who I wont give you what you want, in the sense of a response, I appreciated your last opinion as much as this one but at least your last opinion wasn't just a saaaalty response pal. Sounds like you dont like the Irish people, let alone have love for them. But your probably one of the senile old gits who drank in the "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish" pubs. Hahah. Enjoy your Sunday.

Irish are loved by everyone for our wit and humor, seems like you could use some.

Slainte pal.
I’ll read the rest in a bit, but I think we all have roughly the same heritage. That is, we are largely neck and neck Homo sapiens wise. Nobody can really claIm an advance here. Whatever that may mean.

These aren't "Gypsies", they are diddicoys, pikeys, Irish Travellers, but not Gypsies. What's my generation? You have no idea of how old I am, so try not to generalise because someone has a diferent opinion to you, we're not all SJW snowflakes! (and it's brush, not stick)
Hi Joker, not hijacking your thread, but just want to say:
Me and Mrs R live in south England. Mrs R has worked in local government for years and been working with travellers.
They can be split into two camps: the travellers, many of whom are settled, and the twats in vans. We all know them.
And they are dying out, and becoming like the first group. They know it, but like making any group a bogeyman, they play up.
Their kids are connected, and left out of their immediate culture, and local. In the same way a youth in Afghanistan wants to come here and make a life.
In due course, these people may be your neighbours. Just not now for some of you, but it will happen. If you think about it, it already has.

Fenians, but I don't think so. I wouldn't consider myself a fenian as I don't carry on my ancestry hate of the British, (as the marchers on the 12th do against the Irish Republic) hence my service, and current service in the British Forces but I do have a problem with people burning flags of my nation etc, could you imagine if the Irish people burned British flags once a year, wouldn't be the same. Appreciate your opinion though bud.
12 July is nothing to do with RoI leaving UK

The Tricolour burning is because IRA and their supporters (in RoI and UK) adopted RoI flag as their flag and fly it in UK to flout their hatred of UK. If they flew a horizontal version, that is what would be burned

View attachment 489135

Here are some black member of the Orange Order. Quite a few lodges in Africa. Some even fly across to the UK for the marches.
12 July - The Glorious Revolution Victory Day

Hope you had a glorious day.

I was in Belfast for 12 July 1990, stayed in Aunt & her 2 Para Sgt hubby's house. Parade included all colours from all world inc Red Indian Orange lodges

It's celebrating British History and King William winning the 1688-1690 war with unwanted King James

EIIR led mass celebrations in GB in 1988 to commemorate William's arrival in England.

Denigrating patriotic NI celebrations is Left anti-British treachery same as their hate of English Flag; thus in their terms 'racism'

estwist

On ROPS
On ROPs
12 July - The Glorious Revolution Victory Day

Hope you had a glorious day.

I was in Belfast for 12 July 1990, stayed in Aunt & her 2 Para Sgt hubby's house. Parade included all colours from all world inc Red Indian Orange lodges

It's celebrating British History and King William winning the 1688-1690 war with unwanted King James

EIIR led mass celebrations in GB in 1988 to commemorate William's arrival in England.

Denigrating patriotic NI celebrations is Left anti-British treachery same as their hate of English Flag; thus in their terms 'racism'
"Their" you mean me? I wear the flag of Britian on my right arm, do you?

Fenians, but I don't think so. I wouldn't consider myself a fenian as I don't carry on my ancestry hate of the British, (as the marchers on the 12th do against the Irish Republic) hence my service, and current service in the British Forces but I do have a problem with people burning flags of my nation etc, could you imagine if the Irish people burned British flags once a year, wouldn't be the same. Appreciate your opinion though bud.
Before I get any further down the thread I am going to predict our chum is an Irish-American and rapidly loses his veneer of reasonableness.

Last edited:
Looking for opinions,

The 12th of July festival in NI has been considered racist and has a long time been a day of sectarian violence. Should this festival be allowed to continue? Every year I worry about deaths of innocent people who don't wish to engage in resentful traditions. It's hardly done any good for peace progress.
Racist? Fuçk off you bell end.

Places like Larkhall are interesting this time of year
Places like Larkhall are never interesting. Christ, you'll be saying Coatbridge is picturesque next!

Latest Threads