12th July 1690 - It was old but it was beautiful.....

I just don't get the culture thing. Run on the lines of Rosknowlagh or the big flagship country parade. (Where the OO sent a letter explaining what was going on to every house on that parade route. That's smacks of clever thinking)
Belfast lodge just seems to want to fight everyone and lose. I have no connection with the order but it seems as if they elect the terminally stupid to positions of authority, leaving the full time officers to do a lot of panic stricken firefighting.
As I said I feel this weekend will follow an unsurprising and predictable course. Which is why the city centre will be largely empty.
And no I'm not an admirer of republican revisionism, Belfast Feile or the Ardoyne fleadh (sticky on bits are available)
As for the pride thing I did go for a pint or three in the city centre, on Sunday, wearing a rather fetching pink and blue checked shirt. One compliment, and no offers.
Correct.
There are basically 2 Orders nowadays: a city one that is as you describe (or at least with a 'Militant Tendency' that are far too present), and a country one which is the traditional suit, bowlers, and a largely temperance day.
One is respected, the other other reviled.

You're a bad man. But the demographics tell the tale. Orange lodges have the elderly and very young. The bands tend to be 'blood and thunder' flute bands. And yesterday's Belfast parade was very strung out.
A serious lack of interest.
Yet if you get a chance, go to a rural parade. Or Rosnowlagh in Donegal the Saturday before the 12th and it's an entirely different ballgame.
Rural doesn't include Portadown it's a hole.
a serious lack of interest ?? Really ?? You can't have been in Belfast for the 12th in 2014 as I was.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
2014. You must be new there. Even the Orange Order will tell you numbers are down. Way down in Belfast.
Actually I've checked we were in Donegal Place catching up with the tail end of the parade. The one thing which doesn't seem to be diminishing is the amount of rubbish generated.
On numbers, 2008 to present, there were loads of gaps in the parade and the time taken for the parade to pass was nothing like it used to be.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
There is just as much difference between the two as there is between being a Nationalist and being a Republican.

One of the most annoying things to have emerged in recent years is the use of the phrase 'PUL Community' (Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist) as I very much object to people taking the fact that I don't particularly want NI to become part of the Republic as meaning I am 'on the same side' as the LPMs and those that support them.
Can't do likes, so have two since I'm going to all this effort

2014. You must be new there. Even the Orange Order will tell you numbers are down. Way down in Belfast.
Actually I've checked we were in Donegal Place catching up with the tail end of the parade. The one thing which doesn't seem to be diminishing is the amount of rubbish generated.
On numbers, 2008 to present, there were loads of gaps in the parade and the time taken for the parade to pass was nothing like it used to be.
New or not, to describe there being a 'serious lack of interest' is wrong, there were thousands upon thousands watching the parade .

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
New or not, to describe there being a 'serious lack of interest' is wrong, there were thousands upon thousands watching the parade .
Nothing like there used to be, rain or shine.
Plan B. Level of support for Drumcree, and yes folks it's still going, just about nonexistent. Barely made the radio news. No sign of it on telly.
Return Ardoyne parade. Lodge most involved and one reliabily thought to have to scuppered a compromise deal left standing on its own at the end of the day.
Brethren left them to it. They can't afford to lose anymore parade routes.
And unless there's a sea change they will.
If they get a compromise, one parade only in Ardoyne. The next ones under pressure will be Donegal Street, Carrick hill in Belfast. Outside the city Rasharkin and Crumlin.