125 Years of Felixstowe Port

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by oldbaldy, May 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

It's been some time since hordes of the off duty rushed to Zeebrugge to catch the ferry to Felixstowe. There are no passenger services there now. The port continues to grow though. Currently the Port of Felixstowe deals with over 40 per cent of the country’s container cargo with around £60bn of imports and exports passing through Felixstowe each year. The expansion of the port could add a further £20bn to this figure. Berths 8&9 are the only ones in the UK capable of handling the largest container ships currently on order and the new facility will be equipped with seven of the largest container cranes in the world. Each crane is able to manage ships with containers stowed 24-wide on deck.

Felixstowe 125
  2. ob,

Thanks for that - Having spent my formative years in Suffolk, I remember the crossing well (last time I think was '89). I also know quite a few of the folk who did the 8/9 development so will pass it on.
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I used to be staioned in felixstowe. At the old seaplane base, brilliant posting and hordes of ex jackets live there now. We have a grand time at Ladies nights around 17th March at Elizabeth orwell hotel.
    Just saying!