Figures 120mm Machine Gunner, 3 Para, Falkland Islands 1982 by Smeggers

D

Deleted 136127

Complete? When did you start completing?

I've finished two Skyraiders in the last 12 months I will have you know!!!! I'm a bit shit on the Wokka - its no secret!! and evert time I start a model, Smeggers and Helm start a new Group build before I'm finished. I cant keep up with Sprocket!!

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Can't speak for the others I usually have a few on the go at once and do what takes my fancy.
Ditto that. I've got a 79th Highlander Officer (1809)almost done; An 1805 Royal Marine Officer in action and in parts; A 39th (Dorsetshire) Foot, C/Sgt 1813 in conversion stage; A soldier of 24th Regt, Rorke's Drift undercoated; several WW2 vehicles in various stages of completion plus The Monty Set. Not enough hours in the day and too many demands on my time.

Chef

LE
I've finished two Skyraiders in the last 12 months I will have you know!!!! I'm a bit shit on the Wokka - its no secret!! and evert time I start a model, Smeggers and Helm start a new Group build before I'm finished. I cant keep up with Sprocket!!
I think I've found some of @SPROCKET321's relatives. It looks like it runs in the family:

don't matter mate, it's not a race, quality over speed, and we all like viewing your intricate builds.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Its a SAS bergan - they literally lean out from the body. The pack part stretches away from the metal frame, which in turn has centre-mounted strap points that cannot be pulled into the shoulder.

The leverage on shoulders and small of the back normally makes a bloke's head hang forward to compensate. If he is standing upright with a straight back, then it s PTI with a couple of pillows to bulk out the bergan...
Interesting - IIRC there were three versions of the nylon Bergan that was issued in the late 70s early 80s. A smaller patrol version and two much larger which were marked GS or SAS. They all seemed to be identical in design.

4(T)

LE
Interesting - IIRC there were three versions of the nylon Bergan that was issued in the late 70s early 80s. A smaller patrol version and two much larger which were marked GS or SAS. They all seemed to be identical in design.

I only remember the GS and SAS.

As I recall, the GS was the smaller one, and not really useful - small capacity but needlessly bulky because of the frame. I don't recall anyone ever using one.

IIRC GS was supposed to be 75 litre, and the SAS 120 litre, although I'd guess that was more like 50 and 80 litres in practice, given that the pockets and pouches were not that flexible.

Lol, I do recall that - in one of my units -the hard white plastic card/sheet in the back of the SAS bergan was a starred G1098 item. We used the sheets in lieu of map boards and sigs pads for Bde para tac and arty tac cps, when coming into action on a DZ.

Edit: heres a comparison:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I only remember the GS and SAS.

As I recall, the GS was the smaller one, and not really useful - small capacity but needlessly bulky because of the frame. I don't recall anyone ever using one.

IIRC GS was supposed to be 75 litre, and the SAS 120 litre, although I'd guess that was more like 50 and 80 litres in practice, given that the pockets and pouches were not that flexible.

Lol, I do recall that - in one of my units -the hard white plastic card/sheet in the back of the SAS bergan was a starred G1098 item. We used the sheets in lieu of map boards and sigs pads for Bde para tac and arty tac cps, when coming into action on a DZ.

Edit: heres a comparison:

I have the little one in the garage and have an SAS and a GS version somewhere else! Pretty sure that the SAS/GS were identical and that the small one is indeed a GS but definitely small - I was issued one on Rowallan Company in 1979 but it was taken off me as soon as I went to SMC. Got it with the white plastic sheet - much sought after,

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The Marines had their own version with a long frame designed to be used with kidney pouches removed. I believe it was issued to Army units outside 3 CDO Brigade as well who were on AMF or Falklands tours. Doss bag was carried below the main compartment.
1626258528120.png

One of the surplus/military kit companies (SASS?) in the 80s/90s was selling them with the top part of the frame cut off so it could be worn above pouches (probably not kidney though if you're a short arrse like me). I always used a SAS/PARA bergen even after we got the PLCE ones because we only seemed to be issued the longer size of bergen which would perch on the rear pouches and push the whole belt kit down, I found them more stable when tabbing, and the thing wasn't so close to the back of my head when fully packed.

Oh yeah, and it looked ally.

"120mm machine gunner"? I thought they were 7.62? ;)

Excellent work.
Yeah, I too was expecting to see a tom serving some mechanical behemoth: the mythical belt-fed Wombat.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
120mm Machine Gunner, 3 Para, Falkland Islands 1982 by Smeggers.

Modelled by D.J.Parkins (David J Parkins)

View attachment 560738

A different figure for a change, moving away from Napoleonics and Trucks, I thought I would complete a model from a conflict I was actually involved in. D.J.Parkins have been on the model scene since 1976, producing model railway accessories; and branching into figures, vehicles, ships and planes from 1990.Within the company they have four ranges of products:

Flightpath - a range of kits, detail sets, weapons sets, ground support equipment, buildings and diorama accessories for the scale aircraft modeller in 1:72nd, 1:48th, 1:32nd and 1:24th scales, with particular accent on RAF and USAF/US Navy subjects. Flightpath includes the 'Gunsmoke' range of highly-detailed 1:32nd scale modern USAF/US Navy detail and weapons sets.

Firing Line - a range of mainly British Army vehicle kits in both 1:76th and 1:35th scales, together with British and US Army figures in 1:35th and a dedicated range of British forces figures, weapons sets and accessories in 120mm/1:15th scale.

Great Little Ships - a range of 1:72nd scale kits and sets devoted to Royal Navy and Allied WW2 small ship subjects - corvettes downwards, with the accent on Coastal Forces vessels.

Modern Motive Power - a range of mainly BR-Period British 'O' Gauge/7mm scale railway locomotive, wagon and Mk.1 coach kits + detail packs, buildings and lineside accessories.

They are also sold stockists for the excellent Dartmoor Military Models range of 1:48th and 1:32nd aviation figures and 1:48th military figures.

The Machine Gunner came in at £43.51 including vat but not postage.
The kit arrives in a very smart little presentation box containing torso and legs, separate arms, head wearing para lid complete with scrim net and foliage, Bergen rucksack, L7A2 GPMG, bipod in two parts, carrying handle and a sheet of PE parts which include a nice little plaque for the model.

My model (hopefully) shows an NCO from 3 Para's machine gun platoon having a brew. I have tried to make his smock and over-trousers look as though they are wet, as we all were for most of the time. A little artistic license has been added with the ground scenery, modelling it from my own recollections. If you look carefully in the ground cover, you may well find some sheep-shit, it seemed to be everywhere!
View attachment 560732

View attachment 560733

View attachment 560734

View attachment 560735

I strongly recommend D.J.Parkins to forum members, whatever your chosen genre, they will have something for you. Their prices are pretty reasonable too.

Smeggers out.
A personal note, my mat (roll) was bungeed to the bottom of my bergan
I only copied the rest of my oppos, they seemed a bit sensible.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
A personal note, my mat (roll) was bungeed to the bottom of my bergan
I only copied the rest of my oppos, they seemed a bit sensible.
Absolutely, but the model came moulded that way and I couldn't be arrsed to change it.