120mm BAT in the Falklands.

I'm just watching a program about medics in the Falklands and it showed a picture of Para Regt training with 120mm BAT on the deck of the Canberra.

I didn't realise it had deployed to the Falklands (probably in the same consignment as chocolate fire guards), was it ever fired in anger?

I know the Argies had tracked vehicles on the FI, but I can't remember seeing anything sufficiently armoured to defeat 66mm LAW.

The program itself is very interesting and features Surgeon Commander Rick Jolly, who also wrote a great book - The red and green life machine.

I've just read Robert Fox's book (Eyewitness Falklands) and I'm sure there is a reference to it somewhere. Can't find it now of course...

Don't imagine anybody walked across the island carrying one however!

Would an inappropriate response be that Tropper fired one whilst down there?

I don't know about the 120 mm, but wasn't a Milan used to ease a sniper out of of a hole in some rocks? 120mm could have been similarly "misused".

Bonnacon's link indicates Milan wasn't in the FI.

Bonnacon's link indicates Milan wasn't in the FI.
They were used down the Falklands in '82' and were known as 'Bunker Busters' for wait for it....taking bunkers out ! your source is wrong !!!

I always thought that they'd taken Wombats with them, but offloaded them at Ascension?

I remember reading one account of the Falklands; it mentioned that MILAN was used during the attack on Wireless Ridge. IIRC, they had just been brought into service before the war but didn't have MIRA yet.

From 'Not mentioned in Despatches', p.8 2PARA Gp "3x Milan MRATGW detachments"

You have to take into account the squaddie rumour mill and related inflation.

I think the 40k figure possibly came from the cost of going out and doing the live fire package once a year.

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
I always thought that they'd taken Wombats with them, but offloaded them at Ascension?

BF 2 Para Anti tanks, where all retrained in 79 on Milan, so not that many wombat men left in the Bn in 82 im not sure about 3 Para.

10 Para, (support coy) were training with wombats mounted on Land Rovers from 1981- 1982 and I dare say before that but I didn't see it. Or have I missed the point and you were referring to whether or not the wombat was deployed during Corporate?

Could the Atlantic Conveyor be involved?

I think the 40k figure comes from squaddies making it up as they go along.

I think the 40k figure comes from squaddies making it up as they go along.
When I was commanding a MILAN Pl (early 90s) it was always £60k or "the price of a new BMW". Actually you would have got quite a lot of BMW for £60k back then so it never made a lot of sense :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ronin(GE) RAC 53
Far_King_L Infantry 269
S RAC 10