120mm BAT in the Falklands.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dingerr, Dec 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just watching a program about medics in the Falklands and it showed a picture of Para Regt training with 120mm BAT on the deck of the Canberra.

I didn't realise it had deployed to the Falklands (probably in the same consignment as chocolate fire guards), was it ever fired in anger?

I know the Argies had tracked vehicles on the FI, but I can't remember seeing anything sufficiently armoured to defeat 66mm LAW.

The program itself is very interesting and features Surgeon Commander Rick Jolly, who also wrote a great book - The red and green life machine.

2. I've just read Robert Fox's book (Eyewitness Falklands) and I'm sure there is a reference to it somewhere. Can't find it now of course...

Don't imagine anybody walked across the island carrying one however!

3. Would an inappropriate response be that Tropper fired one whilst down there?

4. I don't know about the 120 mm, but wasn't a Milan used to ease a sniper out of of a hole in some rocks? 120mm could have been similarly "misused".

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bonnacon's link indicates Milan wasn't in the FI.

6. They were used down the Falklands in '82' and were known as 'Bunker Busters' for wait for it....taking bunkers out ! your source is wrong !!!

7. I always thought that they'd taken Wombats with them, but offloaded them at Ascension?

8. I remember reading one account of the Falklands; it mentioned that MILAN was used during the attack on Wireless Ridge. IIRC, they had just been brought into service before the war but didn't have MIRA yet.

9. It's in Italy isn't it? :p

I thought FI was the first outing for MILAN?

Why 'Weapon Of Magnesium' in WOMBAT?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I always thought the use of the Milan as a 40k a pop bunker buster was common knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
  11. msr

msr LE

From 'Not mentioned in Despatches', p.8 2PARA Gp "3x Milan MRATGW detachments"

12. The J103 was only £8000
    The K115 £10500

13. You have to take into account the squaddie rumour mill and related inflation.

I think the 40k figure possibly came from the cost of going out and doing the live fire package once a year.

14. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

BF 2 Para Anti tanks, where all retrained in 79 on Milan, so not that many wombat men left in the Bn in 82 im not sure about 3 Para.