12 year old punished for being brutally honest

One of my grandchildren was given a detention for presenting what must be one of the shortest essays known.
She was tasked by the English teacher to write about what she thought of her town. I quote the essay in full;

"Newark is shit"

To put in context E is on the autistic spectrum and also has a few other alphabet soup issues to deal with. It seems the issue was primarily with the use of the word shit. When asked to write more it seems she replied "That's all there is to it sir".
She got a big hug from me.

Just wait until she is old enough to start dating....

"Will you come to the prom with me?"
"Eff off, you're fat, have bad breath and spots"

Sorted.

Newark, somewhere to pass through rapidly when you're on the way to somewhere else.
Pass through rapidly?

You have obviously never driven on the A46 past Newark. It usually looks like this...

_123380033_mediaitem83177732.jpg

With a static Vulcan.
My old boss flew that in from Waddington when Vulcan was retired. The Newark by-pass was being built across one end of the airfield at the time, but they held off until the Vulcan had landed and as he described it, the bulldozers were already chewing up the tarmac before he'd taxied over to the museum.

JAD

LE
One of my grandchildren was given a detention for presenting what must be one of the shortest essays known.
She was tasked by the English teacher to write about what she thought of her town. I quote the essay in full;

"Newark is shit"

To put in context E is on the autistic spectrum and also has a few other alphabet soup issues to deal with. It seems the issue was primarily with the use of the word shit. When asked to write more it seems she replied "That's all there is to it sir".
This is post of the year and we're not 3 months in to 2022.

I hope to see 50 'excellent' stars below your dit before the end of the day. btw big up to all kids that are brutely honest like your grandaughter, just not enough folk allowed to express their feelings these days. Brilliant @CplFoodspoiler.

"Newark is shit"

I hope her Mum and Dad kindly told the school to go **** themselves over the detention?

Both of mine are Autistic.. whilst the choice of wording is a liitle outside of the standard in King Lear. You can hardly hold it against someone who has issues moderating how they percieve the world in a manner acceptable to society.

Autism is after all a lack of social communication skills.

JAD

LE
With a static Vulcan.
My abiding memory of Newark from the late 80's (from my weekly drive and visit to Grantham Commcen and telephone exchange from Colchester), is just off to the side of the southbound A1, a very sorry English Electric Lightning parked up. Not been past in 30 years, I surmise its well scrapped by now.

What was saddest for me, was I was briefly stationed on RAF Binbrook when needing accomodation near to a NATO forward scatter station near Louth, was there were still some very loud and impressive Lightnings. They still in service before retirement in about 1988 and a move to Tornadoes at RAF Coningsby, which were quite tame on taxi and runway dash in comparison.

My abiding memory of Newark from the late 80's (from my weekly drive and visit to Grantham Commcen and telephone exchange from Colchester), is just off to the side of the southbound A1, a very sorry English Electric Lightning parked up. Not been past in 30 years, I surmise its well scrapped by now......
Yup, it vanished a few years ago. It had been well and truly vandalised. A F2a ex-92Sqn Gutersloh.

TamH70

MIA
Pass through rapidly?

You have obviously never driven on the A46 past Newark. It usually looks like this...

_123380033_mediaitem83177732.jpg

Last time I saw a traffic jam like that on my 't telly box, it were on fire and bodies were lying everywhere.

Mind you that was footage of the Highway of Death during Granby. What's afflicted those poor souls?

Last time I saw a traffic jam like that on my 't telly box, it were on fire and bodies were lying everywhere.

Mind you that was footage of the Highway of Death during Granby. What's afflicted those poor souls?

Don't know. I have attended a trade show at Newark every year for the past 7-8 years. We tip up early Friday afternoon to set up and the A46 has been like that every time. It takes 20-30 minutes to get through the last 2-3 miles to the venue. As soon as you get past Newark though the traffic disappears.

The A46 has three major roundabouts within a cuple of miles. Trafficpiles into the bottleneck faster than it can get through so it just backs up. No alternate route round the town.

Just a thought, could that be part of the problem? Seems to affect a lot of places on the main north/south routes.
I did wonder... I've noticed that members of that august culture do tend to cast a certain pall over their long term environs.
I live 12 miles away and just work there, have moved from Cambridge, so a bit of a culture shock.
I'm still feeling my way, BUT, that said, I feel that my particular workplace (car workshop) at least the atmosphere is a bit toxic?

Latest Threads