12 Week Vicars & Tarts Course

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Outstanding, Jan 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are they putting into this course that makes it 12 weeks long?
  2. I would have thought looking the part (moulding berets),and marching in a straight line would take up at least two weeks!
  3. Which leaves 10 weeks for ironing and bulling!!
  4. Given 'they' managed to make the commissioning course 52 weeks, I'm sure 'they' found something relevant to fill another 4 weeks :)
  5. Just seems like a little bit of overkill.
  6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Used to be a 4 week course in the 70s.
  7. think that is abit short, but these are Doctors, Lawyers and Clergy, whilst they must understand the background to the UK military and be able to react in Tactical situations - they will never be routinely expected to plan or execute in these areas. Are we just wasting valuable training resources and potentially damaging (through overtraining) much needed, high calibre capabilities.
  8. PQOs now do 10 weeks at RMAS on entry, equivalent to first term. They then go on to complete their Special to Arm trg.
  9. I wonder what that is for a doctor / lawyer or vicar?
  10. These people are commanders and Officers first, as all Officers are. Therefore, it is important they have have a solid basic understanding of military training. Many of these will go on to command Sqns and Regiments (which in my view is a joke, but that's a different argument) and therefore should have a good solid grounding to begin with.
  11. The Chaplain-General might take a different view. My understanding was that Padres are, first and foremost, Clerks in Holy Orders.
  12. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Technically speaking, only the Anglicans are clerks in Holy Orders. I'm not quite sure what the standing of the others are in legal terms...

But you are quite right - they do not command and their Commission is of a different type and even worded slightly differently. The only orders they should be issuing are in the bar...
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

They are, but giving them several weeks of orders and estimate training is a waste of time. If the MO or a Lawyer is doing a combat estimate, something has gone horribly wrong.
  14. So back then to the start of this thread. Why and what on earth do they do at RMAS for 12 weeks then. Surely a month at a push is all they need to be able to look, and talk the part.

As said, if they need to plan and execute a platoon attack we are in the brown and smelly!
  15. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

As far as I can recall when the change happened, it was driven by the Medics who wanted a crunchier course since their lads and lasses might find themselves in deepest, darkest Helmand quickly after the course.

Quite what the beefed up course consists of, I don't know. Is it bespoke or basically a cut and paste from the First Term in its new incarnation? If it is the latter then I can see why it might need looking at again.