12 Sites to close, being announced in Parliment at 15:00 apparently

DITA

MIA
Its quite a big problem

The Tp has to cover the population band of Edinburgh/Glasgow, they can't be located North of the Forth.

They are dependent on other units for much if their admin (Accommodation/security etc), so only a regular unit will do.

Very few units can be licensed to hold 1.1, neither Redford nor Dreghorn are. Glencourse has a compartmented store to 1.1 that would suffice, but that still requires garages. Glencourse has poor road links.

Any relocation would require a major rebuild, an EOD Tp no longer fits entirely in existing accommodation.

I just can't think of any location suitable in the required area. This is probably what is causing the Craigiehall issue.
Thats pretty much what I have heard, without going to deep into the politics of Scotland.

I was at Glencorse for 3 years before my current place (also in Scotland, and earmarked to move to Redford ;) ), I can tell you that without a major land grab outside the wire, or the closure and relocation of the Recruit Selection Centre, the EOD Tp won't/can't move there. There just physically isnt enough space.

Thats pretty much what I have heard, without going to deep into the politics of Scotland.

I was at Glencorse for 3 years before my current place (also in Scotland, and earmarked to move to Redford ;) ), I can tell you that without a major land grab outside the wire, or the closure and relocation of the Recruit Selection Centre, the EOD Tp won't/can't move there. There just physically isnt enough space.
The road is awful as well, it's a good 20minutes to hit the A720 and it's very dangerous in winter, nor is it a priority to be cleared in snowfall. The DAFs are awful in the snow, even with snow chains.

The road is awful as well, it's a good 20minutes to hit the A720 and it's very dangerous in winter, nor is it a priority to be cleared in snowfall. The DAFs are awful in the snow, even with snow chains.
Is it not possible to go purple at HMS Caledonia or whatever it is called these days

Caledonia is the wrong side of the Forth Bridges and does not have the accommodation free especially with an aircraft carrier's crew to find bed spaces for! The problem is the massive cost to rebuild the EOD's garage eslewhere, nobody has the spare £M or so to rebuild.

Is it not possible to go purple at HMS Caledonia or whatever it is called these days
Might be the only option, solves most problems, but it's North of the bridge which was always a big no no, but contingency planning could sort things if the bridge closes.

Caledonia is the wrong side of the Forth Bridges and does not have the accommodation free especially with an aircraft carrier's crew to find bed spaces for! The problem is the massive cost to rebuild the EOD's garage eslewhere, nobody has the spare £M or so to rebuild.
Trouble is the garages have to be built regardless as they are leaving Craigiehall.

DITA

MIA
Not just the cost, but the real estate too.

In terms of officer training, we should just build a Tri-service officer academy near the sea and with an airfield, not too far away from an army training area. Sell the rest off, We are then sorted for the future and officers get used to a tri-service environment from day 1. The RAF Regt can also do their Basic training at Catterick and 2 Sqn could do P Coy and be properly airbourne qualified! So many ways in which we could save money!
You don't need the airfield; the majority of mongs going through RAFC Cranwell don't need to know one end of an aircraft from the other.
Therefore I'd vote for BRNC!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Dartmoor yawns before you. Endless opportunity to be miserably cold and uncomfortable. Lucky chaps.

P2000

LE
Dartmoor yawns before you. Endless opportunity to be miserably cold and uncomfortable. Lucky chaps.
Lots of growlers. And not the good kind.

You don't need the airfield; the majority of mongs going through RAFC Cranwell don't need to know one end of an aircraft from the other.
Therefore I'd vote for BRNC!
no need the law acording to arrs:rolleyes:e is,come 01/04/2018,whirley things go to AAC,fast things go to RNAS and slow transport things go to virgin

4(T)

LE
Is this all being flogged off because CMD will soon need another soundbite about "building new houses for hardworking familes"?

Is this all being flogged off because CMD will soon need another soundbite about "building new houses for hardworking familes"?
alas no,its being flogged off because everything else has already been flogged off often at mates rates to mates.
by both sets of political parties over the years.

. . . The Tp has to cover the population band of Edinburgh/Glasgow, they can't be located North of the Forth.

They are dependent on other units for much if their admin (Accommodation/security etc), so only a regular unit will do . . .

Any relocation would require a major rebuild, an EOD Tp no longer fits entirely in existing accommodation.

I just can't think of any location suitable in the required area. This is probably what is causing the Craigiehall issue.
Dedicated new-build, half way along the M8 . . . :smile:

Latest Threads