12 Sites to close, being announced in Parliment at 15:00 apparently

I surmise they had to build an Officers mess across the road then...........or are they in tentage down by Hawley lake?
They've built a new Officers Mess where the Sgts Mess used to be and a new Sgts Mess further down the hill ala Travelodge style Z type and all that. A lot of other infrastructure improvements all round as part of the PPP, run by Holdfast.

I understand that HQ 51 Bde is moving from Craigiehall to Redford Bks, along with the elements of HQ 51 Bde currently in Stirling.
The Bde HQ is in Stirling. There are elements currently in Craigiehall.

@dingerr

Calvary Bks (next to Redford Bks is IIRC the admin base for the tattoo) I have fond involvement memories back in 96.

I understand that an English Inf Regt (2 rifles?) was located at Redford with HQ Scot to share the Bks (post Craighall departure).

I know a EOD det has been at Dreghorn for years however I wasn't aware Dregorn was closing as its occupied mate. If that's true they'll just relocate down the hill between Calvary & Redford.
3 Rifles are at Dreghorn (relocated from Redford), following 1 SCOTS departure.

Redford isnt closing as far as I'm aware (I've been told the Bde HQ are moving there).

@dingerr The EOD team are still at Craigiehall, and I believe are holding up the closure of said camp due to their re-location having to be within certain time/distances between Edinburgh and Glasgow airports.

Last edited:
RAF Barnham even more so. All sorts of nasties waiting to be dug up there.
Like Monty Lines in Aldershot. We were the last unit to move from there in 2008 (Arnhem Bks) and the intention was to sell it off for housing. Just before we left a survey team came around and started drilling for soil samples. About six months later the word went round that the developer had pulled out because the ground was too contaminated. What with I don't know. Last time I went through The Shot in 2015 it was still there but sealed up.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The site I was involved with was absolutely riddled with the nasty types of asbestos.
Sounds like Berengaria MSQ patch in Limassol. All the quarters were made off asbestos sheeting. The area was handed back to the locals 15 years ago and is still empty.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If Officer numbers continue to decline then Then Sandhursts future must be scrutinised. In fact having closed down Camberley and decamped to Watchfield then a centralised Officers training centre must now be a possibility
Similar to a story I experienced way back.

New housing development on Army land that had been a US Camp during WW2. After a while the walls on these houses strted to crack. The local authority contacted the Army to find out of there was an obvious reason like underground water courses. No one knew so back to the LA with a shrug of the shoulders.

A short while later, one of the SO2's suggested we "ask Albert". He was an old duffer that hung around the HQ doing Employer Liasion and draining the Officer's Mess whiskey supply every lunchtime. Harmless old boy given free reign and an office to do "stuff" because he had been on the staff of famous Division in WW2 and no one, not even the Commander, had the nerve to kick him out.

When asked, he grinned, braced up a little, twitched his moustache and said something like " They built houses on an Artillery range ....... bloody fools!".

Turns out when the land was surveyed for sale and the background usage investigated, all that turned up was barracks use and small arms ranges. If there ever was documentation that high calibre arty natures were fired, it was long gone or in a storage box deep in the US Army archives. No records, only the memory of a man in his 70's.

The theory was that the stuff was quite deep and if any had gone off during initial foundation laying, it may not have been noticed, but as the development was (IIRC) ten years old at the time, that ground disturbances and tree roots had set one or two off. I'm not even sure if this is technically feasible, be great to see what some of the EOD boys on here think.

Can't recall what the outcome was.
No doubt we will hear, bit like the poor French farmer parked on the top of a 1917 mine that didn't go off. One day!

Minley Manor - training nights wandering around lost in rhododendron thickets. Ah, what fun.
When I was a little kid in the late 1950s I lived in MQ in Cove and us kids used to spend hours wandering around those rhododendron bushes collecting spent cartridge cases.

Great fun was had getting them to float in those foul static water tanks in the barracks, which they would do if you got the right amount of water in them.

Even as a little kid I realised that only the Army could paint water black.

In terms of officer training, we should just build a Tri-service officer academy near the sea and with an airfield, not too far away from an army training area. Sell the rest off, We are then sorted for the future and officers get used to a tri-service environment from day 1. The RAF Regt can also do their Basic training at Catterick and 2 Sqn could do P Coy and be properly airbourne qualified! So many ways in which we could save money!

I am not convinced the objective is just to save money.

I think it is more about diverting state spending, resources and assets to the right people

In terms of officer training, we should just build a Tri-service officer academy near the sea and with an airfield, not too far away from an army training area. Sell the rest off, We are then sorted for the future and officers get used to a tri-service environment from day 1. The RAF Regt can also do their Basic training at Catterick and 2 Sqn could do P Coy and be properly airbourne qualified! So many ways in which we could save money!
How many of 2Sqn would pass? You naughty person you.

We live about 4 miles across the motorway from Hullavington (we're south of junction 17). We have pretty decent countryside on the drive to Cirencester, via Malmesbury passing by Hullavington and then Kemble. To be honest we like the old cadet gliders (some are historic so a home will have to be found in some museum as a pile of pieces rather than flying). We even say hello to the Loggies from Hullavington when we see them - even the ones who struggle with English. However, 1,500 houses, school, shops etc will kill Hullavington village and make a new town. Further up, Kemble is privately owned now and has put in for development for 1,500 houses, school, shops etc. Gloucester and Wiltshire councils have solved most of their housing targets overnight at the cost of squeezing Malmesbury and pretty much filling the gaps between Cirencester and Chippenham There is the argument that the airfields would have been farmland and possibly sold off before now, however I somehow doubt it.

As Tedsson says, due to global changes in society we now have to supply lots of new homes for lots of new people and when you move up the food chain the money to provide those homes comes from the one purse....and we fill that purse.

As mentioned already Nelson Wardroom is, fortunately, Grade II Listed and there are other problems facing anyone trying to 'develop' it.

Quite apart from the distinguished Edwardian exterior, there are, for instance, the Wylie murals in the main mess (another set in Dolphin Wardroom).

Interesting to know he current occupancy rate during the week.

I have a feeling we have been round this buoy before.

I'm a member of Fort Blockhouse Mess (HMS Dolphin as was). The building has not been well maintained, which will surprise no-one. Some of the Wylie murals have been water damaged after leaks were not repaired quickly. The accommodation is dreadful; a colleague stayed there and was rudely awakened by a large piece of plaster falling from the ceiling, apparently not an unusual state of affairs.

Not sure what the occupancy is, but there is one major unit, and it's also used as overflow for Sultan & Collingwood from time to time.

When the MDHU moved from there it was 'about to close', and that seems to be the excuse that is always given for not looking after it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm a member of Fort Blockhouse Mess (HMS Dolphin as was). The building has not been well maintained, which will surprise no-one. Some of the Wylie murals have been water damaged after leaks were not repaired quickly. The accommodation is dreadful; a colleague stayed there and was rudely awakened by a large piece of plaster falling from the ceiling, apparently not an unusual state of affairs.

Not sure what the occupancy is, but there is one major unit, and it's also used as overflow for Sultan & Collingwood from time to time.

When the MDHU moved from there it was 'about to close', and that seems to be the excuse that is always given for not looking after it.
You will know it is definitely to close when they spend millions on a refurb!

@dingerr The EOD team are still at Craigiehall, and I believe are holding up the closure of said camp due to their re-location having to be within certain time/distances between Edinburgh and Glasgow airports.
Its quite a big problem

The Tp has to cover the population band of Edinburgh/Glasgow, they can't be located North of the Forth.

They are dependent on other units for much if their admin (Accommodation/security etc), so only a regular unit will do.

Very few units can be licensed to hold 1.1, neither Redford nor Dreghorn are. Glencourse has a compartmented store to 1.1 that would suffice, but that still requires garages. Glencourse has poor road links.

Any relocation would require a major rebuild, an EOD Tp no longer fits entirely in existing accommodation.

I just can't think of any location suitable in the required area. This is probably what is causing the Craigiehall issue.

Subsunk

War Hero
Book Reviewer

I was there for a year. Dolphin Wardroom, in its day, was an awesome place to live, with the view across the harbour and the Solent. Now it's been run as far into the ground as possible without the buildings actually being pulled down. Heartbreaking.

I was there for a year. Dolphin Wardroom, in its day, was an awesome place to live, with the view across the harbour and the Solent. Now it's been run as far into the ground as possible without the buildings actually being pulled down. Heartbreaking.
It's still an awesome place for functions, and the staff are wonderful. It's such a shame to see it falling to bits.