12 Sites to close, being announced in Parliment at 15:00 apparently

Thanks mate, someone will be getting a backhander, the ground here will be worth a bloody fortune
That's got to be listed, surely? Cant see the RB of Richmond allowing that to be knocked down, so a developer is going to be forced to do a "sympathetic conversion" - going to cost, that.

Do you think the band school might go to Worthy Down?

HMS Nelson Wardroom. Makes perfect sense, what with the abundance of Officer accommodation in the Portsmouth area.
I suspect Collingwood & Sultans wardroom's may see an usage increase?

It'll be interesting to see if our 'international visitors' be given priority over others due to economic interests factor.

Surprised to see Kneller Hall going, although it's hardly new news as its been threaten for closure for quite a while.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The MOD, bless them, gifted Ebrington and Ballykelly. Ballykelly was to be turned over to the Dept of Ag and the civil servants all shifted out of Belfast.
Everyone else just sat and wondered just how stuffed full of asbestos both barracks were. There was a lot of work to be done on Ebrington to get it up to standard and even yet no one seems keen on relocating to Ballykelly. It looks like it's going to be a very expensive gift.

a lot makes sense but very surprised to see Nelson is going. not sure what you could really do with it given its listed status and work needed to make it into a usable hotel.
One might suspect it's all about retreating behind the dockyard wall and being seen to offer up "something". They're struggling to find takers for any of the "historic" bits in the base, so can't reduce the footprint that way. Difficult to justify four wardrooms in the area (Nelson/Excellent/Collingwood/Sultan), so one has to go. Harder to justify Nelson now NCHQ is established and Sultan is staying. Shame, as it is (or was) a fantastic building.

Can't quite see the joyous commute from Collingrad / Sultan being the solution to excess capacity though......

Can only hope the endless trend towards more student accommodation doesn't swallow it up.

jim30

LE
Gods - the idea of a commute from Sultan daily is too depressing for words - perhaps the MOD needs a water taxi to make it easier to get to NCHQ?

That said, the rooms in the mess are old, in dire need of refurb and frankly with smaller than ever numbers of officers, it would make sense to just build a second vanguard block and be done with it.

jim30

LE
The hysteria from the RN brigade on Twitter about Nelson is just utterly pathetic. Its an old building, its clapped out, its horrible to live in, the sooner it goes the better in my eyes.

a lot makes sense but very surprised to see Nelson is going. not sure what you could really do with it given its listed status and work needed to make it into a usable hotel.
Portsmouth is simply planning ahead for when the Germans get really fed up.

Those pampered officers can simply double up in the wardroom at HMS Excellent down the road at Whale Island.

The RN Divisional School used to be at Whale Island. The CO once refused to accept any students who were living in the wardroom due to the state of the place. No doors on some of the cabins apparently. Couldn't have our newcomers putting up with that.

Still, it'll be a shame for the Nelson wardroom to see the port being passed the wrong way for the first time since Queen Victoria got pi$$ed at the inaugural mess dinner in 1899.

Surprised to see Feltham go. The Hotine Building is a very expensive bit of kit.

Was at Molesworth a few years back involved in quite a large project. It seems there are endangered newts or lizard people on the land so you have to go to ludicrous lengths to ensure they are not harmed.
Surely that might give developers a bit of a problem with planning permission?

Was at Molesworth a few years back involved in quite a large project. It seems there are endangered newts or lizard people on the land so you have to go to ludicrous lengths to ensure they are not harmed.
Surely that might give developers a bit of a problem with planning permission?
wouldn't they just pay someone to "accidentally" drop turps in the water, say sorry, pay the fine and save money ?

£500m for all 12 sites & with planning permission for housing?

Someone somewhere stands to trouser an absolutely enormous bung.
Yet try and get an acre for yourself............

Gods - the idea of a commute from Sultan daily is too depressing for words - perhaps the MOD needs a water taxi to make it easier to get to NCHQ?

That said, the rooms in the mess are old, in dire need of refurb and frankly with smaller than ever numbers of officers, it would make sense to just build a second vanguard block and be done with it.
@jim30

I'd have thought Fleet HQ would have overflow accommodation planned at nearby Horsea Island, I'm aware it's now a 'Tri-Service dive school' however it does have the land capacity.

Notice Craigiehall is being sold off, checked things out on t'interweb and was surprised to find that Dreghorn and Redford Barracks are also being vacated.

Dreghorn was used for the Castle Guard Bn.
Redford an Inf Bn and also accommodated the Tattoo performers.
Craigiehall was HQ 2Div, which I understand will move to Aldershot, but it also accommodated a Signals Unit (252?) and Edinburgh Troop, 11EOD.

Anyone got any more info? I'm particularly interested in Edinburgh Troop as its not easy to relocate an EOD Tp.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Notice Craigiehall is being sold off, checked things out on t'interweb and was surprised to find that Dreghorn and Redford Barracks are also being vacated.

Craigiehall was HQ 2Div, which I understand will move to Aldershot, but it also accommodated a Signals Unit (252?) and Edinburgh Troop, 11EOD.

Anyone got any more info? I'm particularly interested in Edinburgh Troop as its not easy to relocate an EOD Tp.

I understand that HQ 51 Bde is moving from Craigiehall to Redford Bks, along with the elements of HQ 51 Bde currently in Stirling.

@dingerr

Calvary Bks (next to Redford Bks is IIRC the admin base for the tattoo) I have fond involvement memories back in 96.

I understand that an English Inf Regt (2 rifles?) was located at Redford with HQ Scot to share the Bks (post Craighall departure).

I know a EOD det has been at Dreghorn for years however I wasn't aware Dregorn was closing as its occupied mate. If that's true they'll just relocate down the hill between Calvary & Redford.

Are you sure the EOD Tp has been at Dreghorn? It's just that I've been there many times and there's no room.

The trouble is that you need sufficient space for an explosive licence to accommodate an EOD garage (as the trucks are bombed up) and a compartmented ammo store, both as HD1.1. There was loads if space at Craigiehall, but Dreghorn is rather hemmed in.

Are you sure the EOD Tp has been at Dreghorn? It's just that I've been there many times and there's no room.

The trouble is that you need sufficient space for an explosive licence to accommodate an EOD garage (as the trucks are bombed up) and a compartmented ammo store, both as HD1.1. There was loads if space at Craigiehall, but Dreghorn is rather hemmed in.
They had wagons (2) based there in the mid 90's when I was there, admitingly not in MT or garaged as that area was small.

Unless it was just to park/store the vehicles for deployment?

Craigiehall yes as it had space, unsure of up to date info as not revisited in years however Cavalry & Redford Bks will be a busy location.

I was edinburgh tp 2000-2004, it was located at Craigiehall and has been for many years.

I wonder what the wagons at Dreghorn were doing. The only thing I can think of is when we went from Sherpas to Daf 45s and the garages had to be rebuilt.

CC_TA

LE
Both Molesworth and Alconbury have had a lot of money pumped into them over the past few years, presumably by the Yanks, but a lot of the infrastructure is in pretty good nick at both.
IIRC the Yank infrastructure comes with the problems of Yank electrics? Expensive.

As for Alconbury getting the chop; does that mean RAF Welford will go or just be 'Given back'?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I wonder if this will be one of those 'savings' that actually sees an enormous SSSA bill generated that eventually costs significantly more than just updating the original building?

Latest Threads