12 Sites to close, being announced in Parliment at 15:00 apparently

bluenosewrx

Old-Salt
As title, we were told at 14:55 that our site would close (Kneller Hall) and move elswhere, yet to be disclosed, probably Minley or Chatham i would guess.

I cant find anything on the news websites, would like to know the other 11, no move before 2018 was said

anyone hear anything else???

£500m for all 12 sites & with planning permission for housing?

Someone somewhere stands to trouser an absolutely enormous bung.

£500m for all 12 sites & with planning permission for housing?

Someone somewhere stands to trouser an absolutely enormous bung.
Follow the money...................

Bear in mind that sites like Mildenhall will need to be cleared and decontaminated at the buyer's expense. I took part in the selling off of a site and though the headline figure seemed very low, it was clearly demonstrated that the price paid was the MARKET value for that type of land. Ask too much and no one will buy it.

Bear in mind that sites like Mildenhall will need to be cleared and decontaminated at the buyer's expense. I took part in the selling off of a site and though the headline figure seemed very low, it was clearly demonstrated that the price paid was the MARKET value for that type of land. Ask too much and no one will buy it.
RAF Barnham even more so. All sorts of nasties waiting to be dug up there.

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Lodge Hill Rochester Kent, was going to be smothered in much needed housing, until the RSPB got an injunction. 20 pairs of some bird got priority over thousands of new homes for Joe public-even if they do now have eastern european or west african accents.

So yet more selling the family silver then......
I wonder what will happen when there is nowt more left to sell? RAF sharing Luton airport?

When Bramley was sold off we ended up going back in and clearing it of all the very nasty stuff that was forgotten about. Then after that a civi company went in and did it properly.

The site I was involved with was absolutely riddled with the nasty types of asbestos.

bluenosewrx

Old-Salt
Kneller Hall is grade 2 listed and also has a chapel with ashes in it, Feltham is huge and has over 300 civil servants, we only have about 30 here.

handy for the rugger though for all these new houses.

Both Molesworth and Alconbury have had a lot of money pumped into them over the past few years, presumably by the Yanks, but a lot of the infrastructure is in pretty good nick at both.

Both Molesworth and Alconbury have had a lot of money pumped into them over the past few years, presumably by the Yanks, but a lot of the infrastructure is in pretty good nick at both.
For what? Alconbury is going to be 5,000 houses and its runways haven't been used in years. The USAF part is quite small now.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
HMS Nelson Wardroom. Makes perfect sense, what with the abundance of Officer accommodation in the Portsmouth area.

jim30

LE
a lot makes sense but very surprised to see Nelson is going. not sure what you could really do with it given its listed status and work needed to make it into a usable hotel.

Latest Threads