12 Hour shifts???

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Serving_Monkey, Dec 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the Corps stance on 12 hour GPD shifts?? i'm quite fed up of doing these especially when the unit is fully manned, is there anything out there which says we should be doing this?? :?

2. Why were they shortened to 12 hours?

3. 10 hour days 14 hour nights went to 8 hour shifts under the Euro working time directive a long while ago, 12 hours shifts came in due to Op tempo's in 2003 and as far as I know are pretty much the norm now Corps wide. Same sort of shift patterns MDP and a lot of Civ Pol forces work.

4. So now UK has to comply with the Working Time Directive which is, I think, 48 hours per week, four shifts and you are done?

5. working time directive is a 48hr week. As far as i am aware military are exempt from this.
    a lot of civillian firms also get around it by using the magical phrase period of availability (poa).
    Which means you are available for work but their isnt any. so this does not count towards 48hr week.

6. We don't have to comply but work within the spirit of the directive where possible.

This is worked out over a 17 week period and unbelievably comes out within the time frame required. This includes training days and rest days.

10s and 14s no longer works due to driver's hours prohibiting working over 13 hours a day.

Thank god I don't have to do shifts anymore it was ruining my youthful good looks.

7. Every shift system has its advantages and disadvantages. Even the 8 hour system means that you have to work at least 9 days in a row before you get any rest days.

As mentioned by Use_the_Force, if you average it out over an extended period the 12 hour cycle comes in under the 48 hour rule.

8. I wouldn't recommend any of those that I worked other than the eight hour twelve day cycle (Trg, Days, Mids, nights) as many Trg days fell on weekends and Bank Holidays and the six section unit had no other commitments other than the Police Station. Once an Exercise came along we went to 48 on, 24 off.

9. I believe the Branch in the UK are finding it hard to work a full 48 hours a week nowadays so couldnt they do the odd shift or two in the MPS to help out?

10. Come on Daytona, we want coppers not fashion victims.

11. a 12 hour shift when some poor bastard is marooned in the desert waiting out for some relief, any time would be nice and you care for 12 hours?? if thats the worse thing you have to gripe about then i suggest you marry into a ginger family!!

12. I like gingers, but I concur with you.

13. **** off Snail. You're a clerk. The closest you come to a 12 hr shift is having your nails done.

14. a 12 hour shift when some poor fatherless is marooned in the desert waiting out for some relief, any time would be nice and you care for 12 hours?? if thats the worse thing you have to gripe about then i suggest you marry into a ginger family!!

cheggarsRE

ahhahahaha