12-bore Range Template

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by blue-sophist, Nov 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

So what is the realistic hazard range for a 12-bore?

Yes, I know, "how fast does an aeroplane go?" and that stuff.

The reason I ask is that my brother-in-law has seen a guy shooting in the field at the end of his garden, and shooting at rising birds with the Golf Course in the background.

So ... take a typical 12-bore, with a typical cartridge. How far do the pellets go? 100m? 200m? What would you consider a realistic template?

2. Top of my head I seem to recall the CPSA give a distance of 275yds. A lot depends on the site and wind, I recently shot about 200m from a road but had a 30mph wind blowing head on so no problems

3. Using No 6 shot you're unlikely to cause any damage beyond about 75m. Realistic range for pheasant is 30 - 50m. Anything over that and I don't bother wasting the ammunition.

4. blue-sophist

Agree with that, from my personal experience. I used to use No 5 Express with 1 1/4 oz load, IIRC. Long shots are NAUGHTY!

But my BIL is mainly concerned about human hazard.

5. Check PM's B/S.

6. blue-sophist

Done .. thanks, Josey. :wink:

7. In answer dear boy, the size of the shot and choke of the tubes are the deciding factor, in the Fens I use an old single tube Canadian Winchester, someone once referred to it as a ‘Cooey’! Don’t know why..
    It’s chambered three inch magnum and choked like a fox’s arse-hole, I take geese with it out at sixty yards or more with four shot.
    If one were firing a sabot the range would increase, a clinically complicated friend of mine from Sussex shoots hairy pig, (in Sussex,) using solid lead ball-shot cast in a scissor mould.
    He sits by the kitchen range & melts the lead in a ladle, casts the ball and rolls it through the barrel to make sure it drops out the other end !
    If a deer crosses his path, he maintains that the ball will vaporise the beast’s head with an impressive red cloud out at forty yards.
    Buckingham.

8. So ... take a typical 12-bore, with a typical cartridge. How far do the pellets go? 100m? 200m? What would you consider a realistic template?

Beg pardon, didn't see that, five shot open choke thirty five yards shouldn't penetrate skin.

9. I have five or six shot in my head which I've carried since the age of sixteen, two of which are under the scalp the others penetrated through the skull.
    the silly bugger behind me swung for a duck flighting off a river, the first I was aware, my ears started ringing like a fire alarm, I reached round and wiped my hair and found my hand soaked with blood.
    The hospital opened the scalp & first tried to use a probe tipped with an electro-magnet !
    I had to inform them that lead was non ferous.
    Sal'ah.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is a template that the police can insist on when a temporary application for a clay shoot is submitted but its neither here nor there the law on a single person or group not paying to shoot ( so not a syndicate but paying public) is that the shot fired shouldnt leave your property or that on which you have permission to shoot!

11. blue-sophist

And yet No 5 will make it through feathers, skin and pulp internal organs in a pheasant at 35 yards?

Next opinion, please ...

12. It depends entirely on where the shot land, if they strike the primary flight feathers, well they’re very thick and resilient, whereas human skin is tougher than pheasant skin.
    It depends, are you’re talking about effective kill ranges for game birds against Johnny Golfer going home with holes in his Pringle ?

13. And yet No 5 will make it through feathers, skin and pulp internal organs in a pheasant at 35 yards?

If phesypeg was roosting and you fired from underneath the tree, it would 'pulp’ the innards, (unsporting) if you’re standing at the peg and firing at crossing birds it’s highly unlikely the total shot column makes contact, generally two or three shot catch the bird.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bollocks it does, you come here and I'll fire open choked no 5s at you at 45 yards and you will collapse in a world of hurt! I suppose you believe that crap about issue 9mm not going through a wet blanket!

15. Oh, thats news Ugly.
    Pretty Springer by the way, does she pick-up for you ?