12 Aug Terrorist attack in the US

The driver's mother has confirmed he was in Charlottesville to attend the rally.

Must be a white bloke then.

Still, we mustn't jump to conclusions: just becasue it's the United States, he's not automatically going to be a member of the Religion of Pies.
Has @Oddbod been lifted yet? Do we still have an extradition agreement?

I see Virginia is an open carry Commonwealth- I thought this was a cop at first then I saw it was a militia member. Maybe better in the Un-Ally thread but I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with citizens on the street dressed Iike this. .
wahoos.jpg

I see Virginia is an open carry Commonwealth- I thought this was a cop at first then I saw it was a militia member. Maybe better in the Un-Ally thread but I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with citizens on the street dressed Iike this. . View attachment 292954
How comfortable are you with citizens on the street dressed like this?

Because this lot were involved a great deal of the fighting yesterday. The militia weirdos weren't.

Want to really blow your mind? One of the arrests yesterday was for carrying a concealed firearm.

I would have no issue with such a thing but then I am perfectly fine with responsible citizens owning firearms regardless of their beliefs.

How comfortable are you with citizens on the street dressed like this?

Because this lot were involved a great deal of the fighting yesterday. The militia weirdos weren't.

Want to really blow your mind? One of the arrests yesterday was for carrying a concealed firearm.
Errr- at what point did I say he was fighting. My point was that I am not comfortable with yay-hoos strolling the streets dressed for Iraq, even though he has a Constitutional right to.

Errr- at what point did I say he was fighting. My point was that I am not comfortable with yay-hoos strolling the streets dressed for Iraq, even though he has a Constitutional right to.
Someone is peacefully and quietly exercising his first and second ammendment rights, I see no issue with this.

I should add by the way that I've seen no sign that the bulk of the people protesting against the outside protesters were anything other than the normal student population, plus the local citizens, neither of whom would be pleased to see the sort of people who came to defend the statue rocking up in their town.

What you are seeing there is a clash between two broad elements of society who have radically opposing views and little interest in compromise.

The overall situation isn't new. What has brought it to our attention is the increased level of violence, of which the car attack is the most notable.
I do not dispute that there were cock ends and unpleasant types in both parties - However many of these counter protesters are just as guilty of going to cause trouble - being nothing more than violent thugs - but insisting the other side is all bad Nazi types and they are nought but little lambs defending the rights of minorities (not to mention the frequent portrayal that the 18 EDL cretins started the trouble with 157 masked arms youths) is simply dishonest and a a continuation of the past 50 yrs or so deliberate attempt to pretentd the violent far left doesn't exist

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
IMG_2791.JPG

I was generally under the impression that wars about freedom include the freedom for people to have unpleasant views.

At the end of this post you will find ten samples of how the major news media are reporting it. I read each article until I found the first paragraph contrasting the two sides to see how they were described. Most described them as counter-protesters, or used similar phrases. The only one that used the term "anti-fascist" to introduce them was "The Independent". I don't know much about the latter newspaper, so I can't really comment on their use of this term.

I don't know what news media you are reading, but not many major mainstream news outlets seem to be describing them as "Anti Fascist protesters".

The news stories that I've seen describe the town where this is taking place as a small city hosting a university and with a very large student population. Wikipedia lists the university as being the city's main employer.

The university calendar states that student orientation for autumn semester begins in less than a week. UREG: Academic Calendars Given that, I imagine the city is presently full of newly arriving students with a lot of time on their hands. And I don't think I need to describe the sort of environment that this would create.

Given the nature of the protest and the demographics of the place it was being held, I don't find it too surprising that things turned out violently. The KKK and American Nazis who came to town for their protest would have to be pretty dim to imagine it turning out any other way.

Here's the list of news sources that I consulted to see how the news media were describing the two sides. I selected them by putting some search terms into Google and picking news sources that I've heard of. I'm not claiming that all of them are top notch news sites, but that wasn't the point.

The Guardian: Charlottesville: man charged with murder after car rams counter-protesters at far-right event

The BBC: bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-40913928/car-rams-into-crowd-of-people-at-charlottesville-rally

The Independent: One dead as car hits crowd of anti-fascist protesters amid white-supremacist violence in Charlottesville

The CBC: Civil rights probe launched after clashes at white nationalist rally in Virginia leave 1 dead

The Globe and Mail: White nationalist rally in Virginia linked to three deaths, officials say

US ABC: Justice Department opens investigation into deadly Charlottesville car-ramming

CNN: Charlottesville Car Crash Suspect ID'd - CNN

Fox News: Ohio man, 20, identified as suspect accused of driving car into Charlottesville protesters

Australia ABC: One dead after car ploughs into protesters at US white supremacist rally

South China Morning Post: Three dead, dozens injured at chaotic protest in southern US

Here's a black Nazi holding an antifa flag.

Last edited:
Humour?! In Current Affairs?! Oh, I need a lie down.
Hold me I'm scared, this sort of thing is the downfall of empires...
Where's Viro when we need him.

Hold me I'm scared, this sort of thing is the downfall of empires...
Where's Viro when we need him.
It's subterfuge. The protest is actually nothing to do with race, it's about freedom of expression in online forums, and it was ViroBono in the Challenger making a point :)

Could you kindly explain who gets to make the arbitrary choice of who gets to be a "proud American" and who does not? I mean first of all the whole world was not involved and the war was supposedly about freedom, so people died for people to be free to hold as I said before, some pretty unpleasant views.

I have seem them, or ones like them, at a number of events now and it doesn't bother me in the slightest any more.

I am considerably more bothered by those who turn up for no other reason than to try and prevent someone else's freedom of assembly through violence.

Could you kindly explain who gets to make the arbitrary choice of who gets to be a "proud American" and who does not? I mean first of all the whole world was not involved and the war was supposedly about freedom, so people died for people to be free to hold as I said before, some pretty unpleasant views.
One can hold whatever views one likes. What matters, is what one does about those views. If those actions (if any) contravene extant law, then the Courts get to decide 'who gets to be a "proud American" and who does not'.

Judging from the news and social media I think both sides of morons are enjoying their hysterics enough that I can safely guess things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. A free speech protest is in the works for 19 Aug in Baltimore. Anyone want to take bets on what the bodycount from retaliations will be?

From the right, there needs to be an acknowledgement that the people involved in this were ligitimate nazis. The protest might have been about tearing down a war memorial, but a bunch of bellends show up doing the roman salute with swastikas on their flags- there is no reason to second guess their motives or start the paranoid dribbling about false flag operations. A spade is a spade. These cretins were certifiable extremist mongs which would probably explain why one of their number went off the deep end and turned someone into a smear on the tarmac. There is no reasoning with extremists, and they have cancer in their ranks that needs to be chemo'd otherwise it will dominate any discussion involving future protests.

On the left, they need to admit that they started the ball rolling on political violence at the Berkley protests et al, and that crying when they become the victims is disingenuous; you antagonise enough, eventually you will catch the blowback when some nutter decides the rules don't need to apply to them. Groups like antifa have been scuttling about smashing people's skulls in with chainlocks, pepper spraying, beating people into comas and setting building on fire at any protest to the right of Stalin for months now. Throwing around phrases like 'become ungovernable' and 'bash a fash' then screaming 'nazi' at even centerist free speech protestors was openly inflammatory and forces people to the extremes. What the hell did they think was going to come of it but violence?

Meanwhile anyone in the center or with a grain of common sense is, as usual, going to get lumped in with one group of mongs or the other when trying to refute the stupidity of both.

Tragic for the person who died? Yes. Surprising to anybody even vaguely following recent events? Not in the slightest. The extremists of both sides were talking about a war in the streets, well its looking a hell of a lot like they're going to get one. It is only a shame they can't be rounded up and set on a desolate island to sort it out Battle Royale style, with plenty of napalm to deal with the leftovers.

I do believe there were lots of Germans in the US and it wasn't until Pearl that the US thought about incarcerating the Japanese, but did they ever intern Germans? About 11,000 so not many. Be a bit of a come down if the US were seen as a source of terrorism in the very near future. And all those guns and things bangy. It's a quagmire, Giggity! Oops, sorry, that's Glen Quagmire. :cool:

Edit for info