11th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by angular, Apr 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any photos of the 11th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers from raising to disbandment? I'm looking for background information on the service of one of my Great-grandfathers.

If you can, post them on this forum for everyone to see, and let me know that you've done it.

Cheers.

2. 11th Bn The Lancashire Fusiliers was a Service Battalion raised on 22 September 1914, shortly after the outbreak of the First World War. The battalion served in France and Flanders and suffered such heavy casualties that it was temporarily amalgamated with 4th Bn The South Staffordshire Regiment for the period 20 June - 7 July 1918 as No 1 Composite Brigade, 25th Division. The battalion never recovered and was disbanded on 12 August 1918 in France.
    The 11th Battalion was reformed during the Second World War. In May 1940 50th (Holding) Bn was formed and converted into 11th Bn on 9 October 1940. It was disbanded on 20 August 19145 in Italy.