11th and 12th Battalion Middlesex Regiments - Help with research

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by KarinB, Nov 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, Sorry this bit is long winded but I would like to give a brief reason why I have joined this site and posting a thread.
    I am a genealogist and whilst researching my familys' tree have discovered two great uncles who died during WW1. Through various genealogy websites I now have their military records (luckily their records were not among those destroyed during WW2) giving me their regiments, army numbers and other info. From the CWGC I know where they are buried and next Spring intend to visit their graves to pay respect on behalf of the family they never knew or knew them. But researching their military career is out of my depth - I have looked up various things and think I can pin-point where they died, the battles, locations etc - but would really like to do an in-depth study on them and the things they went through. I am writing a family history for my cousins who are all over the world and they also would love to know more about them.

Can anyone on this site point me in directions that would be useful for me to look at. I live in France so cannot just pop into the archives etc.
  2. Whilst some on here may be able to help with your query, you might get a bigger response over on this forum Great War Forum
    Good luck in your search
  3. I have copy of the Middlesex Regt. 1919 - 195somehting. I'll take look tomorrow in case there is anything that may be useful to you in it.
  4. I presume you have worked out the actions in which they died, but may not know that much about the military world to put their previous activity into context? This site has the basic details of the history of these battalions in the Great War., The Middlesex Regiment in 1914-1918

By co-incidence this lunchtime we hosted a lecture by Charles Messenger on the 8th Battalion the Royal Fusiliers who were brigaded with 11th Battalion the Middlesex Regiment. Charles had been commissioned to write the battalion history by Charles Skey whose father had won the DSO and MC with the battalion. These units served together from their formation until their disbandment in early 1918. This was a band of brothers story. November is the month in which we remember those who fought and fell and it was very proper to single out one of the 40+ battalions of the Royal Fusiliers. (next year Gary Sheffield has offered to talk about the 22nd RF.

I think you will find Charles Messenger's Book "Brief but Glorious" useful as a parallel tale to that of the 11th Middlesex
    Finding out the story of your relatives is a laudable task. When you have done it I hope you will consider publishing the story.

You can start by telling us who they are so we might be able to help.
  5. Hi
    Thank you for your kind replies. I have also now joined the Great War Forum but any other resources would be very welcome. Re my Great Uncles:-

John Nelson Winchcombe - Born 1886. Enlisted 23/6/15 at Mill Hill. Posted to France and served initially with the 6th Bn until 7/12/15 then joined 11th Bn on 8th. He died on 23/2/1916. From the little I have found so far I know his regiment was part of the 12th Eastern Division and that the days around his death were described as follows - Units moved back into the Loos trenches at the Quarries on12-13 February 1916 and by 15 February held the line from there to theHohenzollern Redoubt.
    From the CWGC site I know he is buried at the Faubourg D'Amiens Cemetery in Arras.

Walter George Winchcombe - Born 1888. Enlisted 1/9/14 at Willesden. Posted to France on 5/9/14 and only served with the 12th Battalion. He was promoted to L/cpl on 3/5/16. He died on 14/7/16 after being injured the day before. I know he was taken to the 96 Field Ambulance. His regiment was part of the 18th Eastern Division and from what I have found so far I believe he was wounded at either Montauban or Trones Wood before dying the following day.

There was a third brother - Thomas William Winchcombe who survived the war but died in 1922 - according to family stories he died as a result of gassing in the trenches.

I have to confess I know very little about the First World War - when I was at school in the 60's it was not considered 'history' so my knowledge is very basic - but growing at a phenomenal rate daily. My husband is ex-services so can help me on the 'technicalities'. I am spending hours each day (to the detriment of the housework but it will still be there tomorrow) scouring the internet for everything I can lay my hands on. My cousin in Canada is going through the family papers to see if he can find anything and I still have two aunts living who are getting a questionnaire in their Christmas cards. I live about 7 hours from the Somme area and hope to spend at least a week there next spring visiting the area, so any suggestions would be most welcome.

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Walter's entry in CWGC site is here:
    Walter Winchcombe

Thomas died 4th qtr of 1922, his death is registered in Windsor

Edit to say I see you have this infomation on your Ancestry tree.
  7. 11/ and 12/Middlesex regiments were part of K1 and K2 respectively and served with the 12th and 18th (Eastern) Divisions in France and Flanders. I suggest the regimental history (Diehards in the Great War, two volumes written by E Wyrll, reprints available from the N&M Press) and the divisional histories (Brumwell and Nicholls respectively, again reprints available you lucky man).
  8. If you look on Google street view maps etc you might still see Mill Hill camp (Inglis Bks) However it's now being pulled down to make way for a new housing estate not sure if some of the older Victorian buildings that were used as living accom will remain might give you an insight into the type of block he lived in whilst undertaking basic training