111 squadron history

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by aradia, Nov 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi, just wondering does anyone know anything about the history of the 111 squadron which has now disbanded, i can't find much about. i know it was based in RAF Leuchars but that's only because my grandfather used to be an armour in 111. any info about it would be great as i would love to do a tribute for them because there is next to none

2. "St leucas"

:mrgreen:

3. i know i spelt it wrong

4. Sorry to appear rude, but do you not know how to use Google? I put "111 Sqn RAF" into Google and found a raft of websites showing the history fo 111 sqn and well as a lot of images.

They were involved in some of the biggest battles in the Battle of Britain - so try including Battle of Britain in the search.

There are tributes to 111 squadron including paintings of some of their most famous operations. I think that the painting recently commissioned for RAF Northolt shows a 111 Sqn Hurricane takling off.

If you are still lost they contacting the RAf musuem at Hendon.

5. no probs, i tried google and i still feel there is alot more than is being shown so i'll contact the museum thanks

6. Try the libary or ABE Books if you want some detail.

S A Burton 'Adstantes: 111 (Fighter) Squadron' (Private 1996)
    H Griffiths '111(F) Squadron: the first 75 years' (Tri-Service c1992)
    Anthony Robinson 'RAF fighter squadrons in the Battle of Britain'
    Sands 'Treble One: the story of No. 111(F) Squadron RAF' (Private 1957

7. thanks, i mean i've got some things of my grandfather's but i want to expand on it, i'm sincerely grateful