11 November commemoration

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Poppy, May 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. from the Government News network:
    "Thursday 22 May 2008 12:00
    Ministry Of Defence (National)

MoD announces intent to commemorate the 90th Anniversary of the First World War Armistice

Veterans Minister Derek Twigg has announced that a commemorative service and wreath laying will be held this year to mark the 90th Anniversary of the end of the First World War.

Derek Twigg, Veterans Minister, said:

"I am delighted to announce our intention to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the end of the First World War. I believe there is national desire to mark this important date in our history and I fully support this".

Details of the event are yet to be finalised, however it is expected to be centred around a service at the Cenotaph at 11.00 on Tuesday 11 November 2008. The MoD will announce further details in the coming months. "

some duplication of effort here surely if the usual Remembrance Sunday event goes ahead (which I can't see it not doing)?

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Surely the finest example of New Labour spin? Announcing that something's going to happen, which has been happening for ninety years!

I wonder if he'll announce that Christmas will fall on 25th December, the sun rises in the east, and Labour lost the Crewe & Nantwich by-election?

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Is this a non statement or what?

An attempt at a good news statement for an event that happens every year - tossers clutching at straws :evil:

4. Is there a service at the Cenotaph every Armistice day as well as every Remembrance Sunday?

Is this a non statement or what. Announcing that something's going to happen, which has been happening for ninety years.

String up the MoD, let's have a coo.

:roll:

5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

This is a non-post, repeating a post two posts earlier.

String up Sven. Let's have some peace and quiet!

6. So are You saying there IS a service every November 11th with traffic stopped, bells and whistles an all that jazz? At the Cenotaph?

And for Your information, it is a montage of Your post and ITCs, parodying Your inability to tell the difference between Armistice Day and Remembrance Day.

Unless, of course, there IS a service at the cenotaph on the 11th the size of the following Sundays - in which case I apologize without reservation.

7. Sven, there has been a sizeable service at the Cenotaph on the 11th of the 11th at 11 o'clock for (at least) the past ten years, originally organised by the WFA I believe. Obviously it is not of the scale of the national service of remembrance...

8. The point I was trying to make was that, contrary to claims, it obviously won't be the same old thing - that MoD will be pushing the boat out. The reasons may not be as stated but it is hardly doing NuLabours trick of announcing that which is already going to happen.

Unless someone knows differently of course.

9. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Christ Sven. Talk about splitting hairs. You are playing "devil's advocate" to an insane degree over the last week or so.

10. Week or so??????