11 Movies Saved by Historical Inaccuracy

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by yank_eyetie, Jul 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Bridge at Remargen (it happened but the film is fictional)
  2. So someone is complaining that 'Hollywood' is far more entertaining by making things up in order to be entertaining, than sticking to the truth. I can see where on a purely 'entertainment' level that seems right.

However, for many people in the world, whether the great American public, or the cider drinking Chavs of Great Britain, what they see on the silver screen, at home on video or DVD or on their video Ipod, if presented as 'historical', is the truth. Bust. No matter how historically inaccurate, they obtain all their facts from watching that film, rather than reading a history book at the library, a visit to a museum or, god forbid, at school.

If 'Hollywood' wishes to portray actual people or events in history, it should do so in a historically accurate fashion. If they wish to entertain...... do what people have done for years, stick to fiction, write a good story and base your 'movie' on that.
  3. U571 is the reason Hollywood should leave history the hell alone.
  4. bobath, that is one film I will not watch. Its a hollywood/spetic saving the world senario. Just pi$$ a spetic off and ask when did WW1 & 2 start?

5. Got to agree with you there I have never watched and never will U571, The Patriot and that other one that Mel Gibson did where he wore a skirt
  6. I've never seen it. I saw the trailer and just knew it wasn't going to be for me.
  7. WWI
    June 28 1914 - Franz Ferdinand assassination.

July 7 1937 - when did you think it started? 1939?

Perhaps you want to watch patriotic British films where the French are the heroes?
  8. And when did the USA turn up in WW1 and WW2 if they started in 1914 and 1937 respectivley, oh yes......... late.
  9. Just for perspective, the first allied forces to repel an axis attack were the Greeks on the Metaxa Line (and to be honest I'd defend a line named after brandy)

Also the ONLY country to declare war was Britain and the Commonwealth, everyone else was invaded and replied accordingly, but I agree the septics are always late and demand their share of the loot upfront
  10. Thats not fair. You need to watch Pearl Harbour. Ben Affleck fought, and won the Battle of Britain all on his own.
  11. Errr, the US had no real reason to "turn up" for WW1 at all. It being a war between royal scum and their misguided subjects and all. And in WW2 "we" showed up at exactly the right time. Maybe if Britain and France, the so-called victors of WW1, had kept an eye on the Krauts during the 20's and 30's, your cuntries wouldn't have been given such a painful lesson in Teutonic revenge.
    People shouldn't go to the movies for a history lesson anyway. :roll:
  12. my dad is bigger than your dad and will beat your dad up.....!
  13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I don't mind you turning up late at all nothing like throwing on a couple of subs with fresh legs for the last 20 minutes to try and kill the game
    Well done for getting the swear words in
    Agree with you on the Hollywood and history bit never get it right especially that bit they keep trotting out about saving us from talking German

Keep up the good work and well done for getting in on the current two on time

When England beat Germany 5 - 1 it's a little known fact that at 4 -1 the USA Soccer team asked if they go nip on the pitch and claim a historic win :D
  14. U571 isn't that bad a film if you take it for what it is. It never actually says that the Allies need the Enigma machine, it states that the yanks do & at the end they explain that the Brits stole one first and then I believe the Yanks did too.

Let's face it, our best war film, Zulu, is absolutely packed to the rafters with historical innacuracies. Thats what makes it such an awesome film because writers have been liberal with the truth but have adapted it for a damn fine ripping yarn