11 Million motorists unable to read map

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by oldbaldy, Aug 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

2. I take it that also includes officers that drive! :)
  3. Funny, I always thought that there were more than 11 million women drivers.
  4. It's probably the 11 million asylum seekers.
  5. The quote was interesting: in my experience most of them couldn't read a map before they became reliant upon satelite navigation.
  6. Bad show. I don't have sat nav but I do have an up-to-date road map in my car, and I use it too, when my inbuilt nav system (in my noggin) fails.

Just checked - need to get a new map, its last years...
  7. 11 million Asylum Seekers are issued with Sat-Nav with benefits Offices marked as "Favorites" and number one POI!
  8. explains the lack of maps in the shops

I know several people who use satnav and made total prats out of themselves doing so. Can't understand why they trust the tech so much - it designed by humans, built by humans and programmed by humans and the humans chosen to do the work probably have 1 brain cell beteween them.
  9. You may not meet anyone to ask directions on the hill, you are, however usually going to meet someone to "ask" directions in the street. If not, you can just drive on till you see some signs.....ppffttt. People talk sh1te.

I am sure there are about 11 million women drivers.....Maybe if you include orifices....
  10. I am an officer but I can read a map AND operate a GPS. Yes, actually I am a Gunner! How did you guess?
  11. I am an ex WO, can read a map and use a GPS. And I am/was Cavalry! :D
  12. It was the chocolate labrador avatar! :D :D :D
  13. I have met lots of officers who THOUGHT they could read a map.........
  14. Well done!! You obviously had a good SNCO who dedicated a great deal of his spare time nurturing you.
  15. I remember driving for an officer up around the border between BiH and Croatia. He decided to do the map reading and took us straight into the middle of a suspected minefield. Thankfully, before he decided to step out the vehicle and stretch his legs, I did a quick check with my GPS to confirm our location and we backed out of the area very carefully. He very quickly handed the map reading over to the Staff Sgt who was with us.