11.6' to 14' Laptop

I have an Alienware R2 which I bought three years and is a bit old in the tooth now, but hoping to get a few more years out of it by buying the amp and an external graphics card (RX 5700) - that's my gaming machine.

For actual work though I use a MacBook Air - got given a 2015 model hand-me-down at my new job and before that was using a 2013 11" model, cannot recommend them enough. You obviously have the apple Premium but I think it's worth it for the OS etc. (Also told the otherday there's another hand-me-down I can have soon - a 2017 Retina iMac - they're just going to wait until the next IT refresh comes around so they can stick an SSD in it for me).

They'll probably tell you that they need to replace the motherboard....kerching....
Even more weird, the left corner of my screen now has rainbow style vertical lines...the screen itself is not broken.....ahhh christ, I really can't afford to spend much money these days..did a diagnostics check but all it said was my battery "may" have to be replaced in the future.

It's been a good 5/6 year run, but let's say what the "geniuses" at the apple store say when I take it there later..

Don’t need to replace the logic board for the speakers.
More worried about the vertical rainbow colored lone on the corner than the speaker if I am honest...I can do without a speaker...just use my headphones....the lappy itself seems to work fine..and I can't see any cracks or anything on the screen.

JNM

War Hero
More worried about the vertical rainbow colored lone on the corner than the speaker if I am honest...I can do without a speaker...just use my headphones....the lappy itself seems to work fine..and I can't see any cracks or anything on the screen.
Could be an issue with the underlying LCD. Plenty of places can replace the panel I believe for a not extortionate amount of money.

Went to the Apple store @Westfield Stratford to get an initial diagnosis, no can get in as they were fully booked. So have to do the trek again tomorrow...but was advised to be there sharpish by 11am, so I can get on the list...

Something really is definitely weird though, the lines keep coming and going away, expanding on how much usage or long I use it for.

Sitrep - it's going to be expensive. Just been to the Genius bar, apparently there's likely an internal crack in the LCD panel. They said the lappy itself will work fine but don't put any pressure on the right side. Will cost about £450 to replace the display....ouch! Wish I didn't cancel my Amex insurance...but felt like I was wasting money as I didn't use it for 5 years and never claimed anything, while paying every month..

JNM

War Hero
Know any places you can recommend?
It’s more a local thing, like there’s places around here that I’d take it to but its Just a case of looking around. There should be a few PC repair places that do it if you’re near a big town or city. Saying that it is fairly old I don’t know on the availability of the panels

It’s more a local thing, like there’s places around here that I’d take it to but its Just a case of looking around. There should be a few PC repair places that do it if you’re near a big town or city. Saying that it is fairly old I don’t know on the availability of the panels
Thanks...will do some research...apparently these are Samsung supplied retina panels..

Sitrep - it's going to be expensive. Just been to the Genius bar, apparently there's likely an internal crack in the LCD panel. They said the lappy itself will work fine but don't put any pressure on the right side. Will cost about £450 to replace the display....ouch! Wish I didn't cancel my Amex insurance...but felt like I was wasting money as I didn't use it for 5 years and never claimed anything, while paying every month..
Big bucks to repair those things. I have one that had a bottle of beer spilled on it (not by me). It had to have a new battery and keyboard. Both under AppleCare, but would have otherwise been $400. Last year it had another bottle of beer (my fault) and again the keyboard and battery are shagged. It does however work, so it's relegated to being a desktop with a fixed monitor and external keyboard. It has a fair bit of memory and an SSD, so it's not bad performing as a desktop.

Maybe you could do similar with your MBP and just get an external monitor for it.

JNM

War Hero
Thanks...will do some research...apparently these are Samsung supplied retina panels..
It’s either gonna be Samsung, LG or Japanese display. All basically the same just whoever won the contract for that model.

Big bucks to repair those things. I have one that had a bottle of beer spilled on it (not by me). It had to have a new battery and keyboard. Both under AppleCare, but would have otherwise been $400. Last year it had another bottle of beer (my fault) and again the keyboard and battery are shagged. It does however work, so it's relegated to being a desktop with a fixed monitor and external keyboard. It has a fair bit of memory and an SSD, so it's not bad performing as a desktop.

Maybe you could do similar with your MBP and just get an external monitor for it.
I know. It surprisingly performed flawlessly from 2013...till the other day, despite me not being the best of "carers." I actually had an apple extended warranty too, but that goes only up to 3 years max...which came in handy as they had to replace some board of other which paid for more than the cost of the warranty.

I actually had Amex "gadget" insurance, which covered all my Apple products in the household (2 Macbooks, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads) for a nominal fee every month. The deductible was only about £35 too.

But after not using any of that for about 5 years and splitting from my GF (that's why I listed 2 of everything), I just stopped it, as I thought I was just wasting money.

Would've come in handy - I love Amex customer support and assistance in general. Very prompt with everything.

Can't really do a monitor though, since I am "mobile" at the moment. It was funny talking to a pretty girl sitting next to me, watching her lug a huge iMac at the genius bar...got talking to her...obviously was in the fashion/ creative biz/..apparently they have a few conked out ones and wanted to salvage what they could.

Just_plain_you

Old-Salt
Wish I didn't cancel my Amex insurance...but felt like I was wasting money as I didn't use it for 5 years and never claimed anything, while paying every month..
How much did it cost per month?

anglo

LE
Can't really do a monitor though, since I am "mobile" at the moment. It was funny talking to a pretty girl sitting next to me, watching her lug a huge iMac at the genius bar...got talking to her...obviously was in the fashion/ creative biz/..apparently they have a few conked out ones and wanted to salvage what they could.
"Can't really do a monitor though, since I am "mobile" at the moment"

You been thrown out of your squat ?

Latest Threads