10th SFG (A) Green Beret awarded Frederick Award

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Aug 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

10th SFG (A) Green Beret awarded 2008 FSSF Frederick Award for professional excellence and courage under fire
    U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Mike Meares

Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force – Arabian Peninsula
    BALAD, Iraq (Courtesy of CJSOTF-AP Public Affairs, August 12, 2008) – In 1962, President John F. Kennedy called the Green Beret “a symbol of excellence, a badge of courage, a mark of distinction in the fight for freedom.” More than 46 years later, a Special Forces operator lived up to those words and upheld its traditions during a deployment to Samarra, Iraq.

Sergeant 1st Class Sean Howie, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne), was awarded the 2008 First Special Service Force Frederick Award for his professional excellence and courage under fire during a deployment to Samarra, Iraq in 2007.

The Special Forces medical sergeant conducted 215 consecutive days of continuous combat operations as the operations sergeant in an area deemed one of the most hostile in Iraq at the time.

Attached Files:

2. Wow- the US Army has devised yet another way of congratulating themselves. Astounding! My hat is doffed in salutation of their ingenuity.

Trip- an important life lesson passed down through the ages:

Self praise is no recommendation.
  3. He's been in SF for 17 years! From his 10th birthday by the look of it. Must slather on the Oil of Ulay of a night. :D
  4. Fcuk me Tripwire, those long winter nights in the trailer park must fly by.
  5. That's not all, the good MSgts Unit got an award too.
    There's a lot to be said for the understatment of the Royal Marines.
    4 members of 45 Commando Royal Marines attatch themselves to the outside of 2 Apache helicopters to attempt the rescue of a comrade. Feck me tea and medals at the Palace for Royal thinks me...Er no "They were doing their job." says the duty 'Royal Marines' spokesperson.
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

In the US Army a SSgt commands a 'Squad', the equivalent to our section commanded by a Corporal. I'd guess that the rank structure is a bit different within the SF though.
  7. Horsesiht. I've done a fantastic job.
  8. Are these awards anything to do with Fredericks of Hollywood?
  9. why do yanks need all them badges????
    fook me blind but what are all the ribbons about, jesus christ if that was a brit he have been fighting since the boar war
  10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Apparently, there are some people who are both colored blind and have a problem reading a simple document. The SF NCO in the picture is wearing a 'Rifle Green,' color beret. It is not the standard 'Black' US Army beret.

The article clearly states, the mans rank as a 'Sergeant 1st Class,' which is one rank higher then a SSG. The article was written by a SSG.

As for the award, I think that the article mentioned, why it was awarded and who it was named after. Gen. Fredrick, who commanded the First Special Service Force of WWII fame. "The Devils Brigade."

The FSSF, is part of the linage of the 1st Special Forces Regiment. The award stem's from the FSSF Association's members who are Veteran's of that organization. There are both American and Canadian members of the FSSF Association.

As for the picture, who knows ... what might have caused that look. He appears to me to be a what we would call a squared away soldier and/or Senior NCO.

BTW: Crabtastic, as you can see the award doesn't come from the US Army, it comes from the American & Canadian WWII Veterans of the FSSF, which IMO is a real honor, to get an award from them.

Attached Files:

11. id call it something up his bum nco ha ha
  12. Tripwire i dont think anyone gives a shite about the US ******* armys news.
  13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Don't read it then! :wink:

Attached Files: