10p Beer! Irresponsible, or a public service?

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
BBC News

Encouraging binge drinking on Tyneside - is that even possible?

When I was a student in York there was a nightclub that had a flat rate entry price and then all you could drink (keg beer, selected shorts). That was seriously 'kin irresponsible. Bad enough on a holiday when there's no pressure of time, but "See what you can manage in four hours - go".

There's a curry shop In Glasgow that does all you can eat and drink for £16. That's quite clever, because the food is excellent, and as soon as you wire in that knackers your drinking. There's no real combination of food and ale that allows you to shift more than £16 worth in the time, unless you're a giant.

Cant do £16 worth?

Amateurs.

Name, address and phone no. of establishment please.

At the rush.

Ta.

(My treat)

EgyptianPTInstructor said:
Cant do £16 worth?

Amateurs.

Name, address and phone no. of establishment please.

At the rush.

Ta.

(My treat)
The Millenium Platter - http://www.altnation.com/forums/food-drink/123762-millenium-platter-dumbarton-road.html

[I've just had a terrible thought - I'm the platoon commander in Platoon, Tom Berenger has just ripped the radio from my hand, "Check your fire! Check your fire!" Pokes me in the chest, "Your f****d up fire mission has just killed a lot of people".

It's a nice wee wumman that runs it. Spare her :) ]

But Spy's owner said only 36 surplus bottles had been offered for 10p each, limited to one per customer, and were not part of any promotion.
so hardly a massive campaign of binge drinking then, however;

Police Supt Dave Wormald said:
"My neighbourhood officers will be speaking to the management at this establishment to take the appropriate course of action to discourage them from offering such promotions."
I wonder if 'speaking to the management' helps another quota to be met?

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
theoriginalphantom said:
But Spy's owner said only 36 surplus bottles had been offered for 10p each, limited to one per customer, and were not part of any promotion.
so hardly a massive campaign of binge drinking then, however;

Police Supt Dave Wormald said:
"My neighbourhood officers will be speaking to the management at this establishment to take the appropriate course of action to discourage them from offering such promotions."
I wonder if 'speaking to the management' helps another quota to be met?
Their outrage powers are weak.

gobbyidiot said:
There's a curry shop In Glasgow that does all you can eat and drink for £16. That's quite clever, because the food is excellent, and as soon as you wire in that knackers your drinking. There's no real combination of food and ale that allows you to shift more than £16 worth in the time, unless you're a giant.
whereabouts? I'm in the weege tonight and that would do the trick nicely.

gobbyidiot said:
When I was a student in York there was a nightclub that had a flat rate entry price and then all you could drink (keg beer, selected shorts). That was seriously 'kin irresponsible. Bad enough on a holiday when there's no pressure of time, but "See what you can manage in four hours - go".
Thursday nights at Ikon and Diva :D

The entrance fee was based on what time you got there. IIRC it was a fiver before 22:30, then increasing by a fiver every half hour. I only made it there once... by christ I was bat faced :D

It was also the only place where my feet have literally stuck to the carpet... Tried to walk away and my shoe actually came off 8O

Sadly no longer open.

Sure bier in the NAAFI at Bruggen (Javelin Bks) when I was there late 80's was only 1Dm a pint,equivenent to 30p in the UK at the time.
Cant see what the problem is..

10p a beer? In the wallet tightening times of the credit crunch I can only applaud!!!!! :clap:

I remember when I was about 14 (32 years ago) and living in Brecon. One of the local pubs had over ordered on their beer and were knocking out heineken at 10p per pint and watneys at 5p per pint.

I set of with a pound note in my grubby mits. Was on my 5th or 6th pint when this bloke at the bar started chatting to me. Asked him what he did for a living and he replied that he was a police sergeant. Nearly choked on my beer, amde my excuses and left. Bas***d.

The city council has branded the sale "irresponsible" and Northumbria Police plans to speak to the bar's management.
What are they going to say precisely and what has he actually done wrong. Fcuking nanny state.

So they're trying to ban supermarket promotions as it's not being responsible, they're trying to ban promotions and happy hours in pubs and clubs because it's not responible, as far as i remember, on a night out money really didn't come into it, when you're pissed you don't really keep your accounts in order and waking up the next morning you really wonder how you'd spent 80 quid or whatever it was. It was about the time Goldschlager hit the pubs as well and that was about £3.50 a shot back then and went down a bit too easily.

All this is doing is giving punters cheaper booze, they'll still drink the same amount, or are they going to ban cash machines within a mile of a pub as well?

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
Argee2007 said:
So they're trying to ban supermarket promotions as it's not being responsible, they're trying to ban promotions and happy hours in pubs and clubs because it's not responible, as far as i remember, on a night out money really didn't come into it, when you're pissed you don't really keep your accounts in order and waking up the next morning you really wonder how you'd spent 80 quid or whatever it was. It was about the time Goldschlager hit the pubs as well and that was about £3.50 a shot back then and went down a bit too easily.

All this is doing is giving punters cheaper booze, they'll still drink the same amount, or are they going to ban cash machines within a mile of a pub as well?
Don't fcuking give them ideas.

I was watching an report on the BBC (via BFBS) last night, reporting that the price of beer is too high, and between that and the smoking ban was causing pubs in Gateshead and Newcastle to close. Apparently 'to beat the credit crunch' people are staying in.

Make up your minds FFS!

Ninja_Turtle said:
I was watching an report on the BBC (via BFBS) last night, reporting that the price of beer is too high, and between that and the smoking ban was causing pubs in Gateshead and Newcastle to close. Apparently 'to beat the credit crunch' people are staying in.

Make up your minds FFS!
Beer sales in pubs have dropped by 10% in the last month alone.Speaking to Jayne who owns my local today,she agrees!

spike7451 said:
Ninja_Turtle said:

Make up your minds FFS!
Beer sales in pubs have dropped by 10% in the last month alone.Speaking to Jayne who owns my local today,she agrees!
Taking this personally, I'm off back home to Newcastle on leave, hopefully to plug the gap in my local's takings! :D

Latest Threads