10p Beer! Irresponsible, or a public service?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jul 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

BBC News

Encouraging binge drinking on Tyneside - is that even possible?

2. When I was a student in York there was a nightclub that had a flat rate entry price and then all you could drink (keg beer, selected shorts). That was seriously 'kin irresponsible. Bad enough on a holiday when there's no pressure of time, but "See what you can manage in four hours - go".

There's a curry shop In Glasgow that does all you can eat and drink for £16. That's quite clever, because the food is excellent, and as soon as you wire in that knackers your drinking. There's no real combination of food and ale that allows you to shift more than £16 worth in the time, unless you're a giant.

3. Cant do £16 worth?

Amateurs.

Name, address and phone no. of establishment please.

At the rush.

Ta.

(My treat)

4. The Millenium Platter - http://www.altnation.com/forums/food-drink/123762-millenium-platter-dumbarton-road.html

[I've just had a terrible thought - I'm the platoon commander in Platoon, Tom Berenger has just ripped the radio from my hand, "Check your fire! Check your fire!" Pokes me in the chest, "Your f****d up fire mission has just killed a lot of people".

It's a nice wee wumman that runs it. Spare her :) ]

5. so hardly a massive campaign of binge drinking then, however;

Police Supt Dave Wormald said:
    I wonder if 'speaking to the management' helps another quota to be met?

6. BrunoNoMedals

Their outrage powers are weak.

7. There was a pub near where I lived in London that sold pints of tap slops for 50p. This was 20 odd years ago - pints cost about £1 to £1.50 back then AFAIR.

8. whereabouts? I'm in the weege tonight and that would do the trick nicely.

9. Thursday nights at Ikon and Diva :D

The entrance fee was based on what time you got there. IIRC it was a fiver before 22:30, then increasing by a fiver every half hour. I only made it there once... by christ I was bat faced :D

It was also the only place where my feet have literally stuck to the carpet... Tried to walk away and my shoe actually came off 8O

Sadly no longer open.

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Sure bier in the NAAFI at Bruggen (Javelin Bks) when I was there late 80's was only 1Dm a pint,equivenent to 30p in the UK at the time.
    Cant see what the problem is..

11. 10p a beer? In the wallet tightening times of the credit crunch I can only applaud!!!!! :clap:

12. I remember when I was about 14 (32 years ago) and living in Brecon. One of the local pubs had over ordered on their beer and were knocking out heineken at 10p per pint and watneys at 5p per pint.

I set of with a pound note in my grubby mits. Was on my 5th or 6th pint when this bloke at the bar started chatting to me. Asked him what he did for a living and he replied that he was a police sergeant. Nearly choked on my beer, amde my excuses and left. Bas***d.

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

What are they going to say precisely and what has he actually done wrong. Fcuking nanny state.

14. So they're trying to ban supermarket promotions as it's not being responsible, they're trying to ban promotions and happy hours in pubs and clubs because it's not responible, as far as i remember, on a night out money really didn't come into it, when you're pissed you don't really keep your accounts in order and waking up the next morning you really wonder how you'd spent 80 quid or whatever it was. It was about the time Goldschlager hit the pubs as well and that was about £3.50 a shot back then and went down a bit too easily.

All this is doing is giving punters cheaper booze, they'll still drink the same amount, or are they going to ban cash machines within a mile of a pub as well?

15. BrunoNoMedals

Don't fcuking give them ideas.