10k compo for offense caused by our glorious Sovereign

I did conduct a straw poll to pick an historical figure who was incontrovertibly a mathematician however.
I obviously haven't imbibed enough (yet) to make sense of that! Only a G&T (coincidentally, Cork) and a shared bottle of Chilean Merlot with Mrs S.O. this evening.

Last edited:
10k-for-ni-civil-servant-offended-by-royal-portraits

The outrage bus has not had an outing for a while now, so it´s weapons free on this gem of an outrage story. A civil servant in the Northern Ireland Office has been awarded 10k compensation for offence caused by having to work near portraits of HM and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. For those who will not open a Guardian link on pinciple, I will expand. Apparently he didn´t object to the Queen in person, and agreed that her portrait could be replaced by a photo of her meeting local people. So they put up a photo of her shaking hands with Martin McGuinness.

I´m not making this shit up.
Now that the precedent has been set, I wonder what will happen next?

Controversial I know, but after two tours in NI 87-90 and 94-97 I have a dream that i'm the CEO of a huge conglomerate think Amazon or Facebook, my accountants shuffle in and tell me every country in the world is going to tax us at 75 % except NI they're not going to charge a penny, in fact they will pay the rates and heating for 50 years. Without hesitation I would opt for some third world Shithole instead of NI, its the only part of the UK I could see a "srebrenica massacre" or " Warsaw ghetto" situation take place.
We might have it bad in Glasgow but nowhere near that of NI, every single person was on one side or the other irrespective of position or role., I'll assume it's now a 21st century multi generational, multi cultural, multi faith, multi sexual, multi whatever bastion of freedom and liberty but I have my doubts. I seem to recall both sides were as bad as each other.
0h, In case the historical enquiries team are watching, since leaving the forces I fell and hit my head whilst celebrating martin m'cguinness's death and unfortunately remember nothing of my time there

Last edited:
What surprises me about this story is the idea that there are any pictures of HMQ still in government offices in NI. It was my understanding that in accordance with Fair Employment legislation all flags and emblems, including pictures of the Queen, were removed from workplaces, especially government-run workplaces including courts, 20 years or more ago.

So where was this workplace where the guy was so offended by the pictures (note plural) of HMQ and the DoE? The fact that the employers asked him what sort of pictures could replace them and he suggested pictures of the Queen meeting local people (including Marty McG) suggests it was somewhere like Hillsborough Castle, I cannot imagine we are talking about any ordinary run-of-the-mill government office.

10k-for-ni-civil-servant-offended-by-royal-portraits

The outrage bus has not had an outing for a while now, so it´s weapons free on this gem of an outrage story. A civil servant in the Northern Ireland Office has been awarded 10k compensation for offence caused by having to work near portraits of HM and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. For those who will not open a Guardian link on pinciple, I will expand. Apparently he didn´t object to the Queen in person, and agreed that her portrait could be replaced by a photo of her meeting local people. So they put up a photo of her shaking hands with Martin McGuinness.

I´m not making this shit up.
Whenever I used to work from home I used to see photos of my mother in law that my wife had about the house

WHERE’S MY F*CKING COMPO?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The individual offended obviously had a cheap lawyer. Being offended by the institution usually nets way more.

:)

What surprises me about this story is the idea that there are any pictures of HMQ still in government offices in NI. It was my understanding that in accordance with Fair Employment legislation all flags and emblems, including pictures of the Queen, were removed from workplaces, especially government-run workplaces including courts, 20 years or more ago.

So where was this workplace where the guy was so offended by the pictures (note plural) of HMQ and the DoE? The fact that the employers asked him what sort of pictures could replace them and he suggested pictures of the Queen meeting local people (including Marty McG) suggests it was somewhere like Hillsborough Castle, I cannot imagine we are talking about any ordinary run-of-the-mill government office.
That surprised me too, especially as he works/worked at The Parades Commission. Never saw a photo or portrait of Her Majesty in my time in the NICS, and that was quite a long time ago. I'm wondering did one of the "Higher Ups" drop a major bollock, and this £10k is a neat way of making it all go away.

ETA: Thinking back. I worked in Castle Court (Royal Avenue). Our offices were atop the shopping centre. The NICS got the first 5 years rent for a pound a floor IIRC. The rationale was that the IRA might blow up a shopping centre, but were highly unlikely to bomb a Social Security Office. And I'm not even joking.

I digress. In the summer, those offices were sweltering: the huge Mitsubishi air conditioning units on the roof never worked from day 1. Opening the windows wasn't an option due to the sheer noise levels in Royal Avenue. So the blokes used to wear football shirts. Anything with a "percieved religious affiliation was not allowed, so no England/RoI/NI/Rangers etc etc. Premier League was OK.

Ironically, the only complaint received was about ME, from another Prod who worked upstairs about my "Celtic" shirt. It was actually the yellow short-sleeved Chelsea goalkeeper jersey from the AUTOGLASS era. He thought the "CFC" on the badge was Celtic Football Club. Twat. Fair play, the Staff Officer told him to go and boil his head.

Last edited: