10k compo for offense caused by our glorious Sovereign

10k-for-ni-civil-servant-offended-by-royal-portraits

The outrage bus has not had an outing for a while now, so it´s weapons free on this gem of an outrage story. A civil servant in the Northern Ireland Office has been awarded 10k compensation for offence caused by having to work near portraits of HM and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. For those who will not open a Guardian link on pinciple, I will expand. Apparently he didn´t object to the Queen in person, and agreed that her portrait could be replaced by a photo of her meeting local people. So they put up a photo of her shaking hands with Martin McGuinness.

I´m not making this shit up.

Perhaps the individual should not accept payment, or handle, currency with the sovereign's countenance on it either?

The outrage bus has not had an outing for a while now, so it´s weapons free on this gem of an outrage story. A civil servant in the Northern Ireland Office has been awarded 10k compensation for offence caused by having to work near portraits of HM and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. For those who will not open a Guardian link on pinciple, I will expand. Apparently he didn´t object to the Queen in person, and agreed that her portrait could be replaced by a photo of her meeting local people. So they put up a photo of her shaking hands with Martin McGuinness.

Feck...I thought it was another sausages thread...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I saw that earlier and could hardly believe it. The person should have been transferred if they didn't like the portraits of their Head of State and consort. We have also had the head of civil service in NI making political statements. Time for rule to be imposed if the Paddies can't do it themselves.

Typical N.I. Civil Service. Full of Fenians.
With some 40% of the population as RC, wouldn't you expect at least 4 in 10 civil servants to have a similar viewpoint, or should government institutions be only for the Protestant population?

You were making it up about being “weapons free”- you’ve put the thread in the Int Cell you f@ckin doughnut.
Yeah, I thought long and hard about that for about 10 seconds. I just couldn´t bring myself to post a link from The Guardian in the NAAFI. I don´t even know if that´s possible.

Should have put some more cheery photos up then. Like oh, I dunno. Gibraltar maybe.

With some 40% of the population as RC, wouldn't you expect at least 4 in 10 civil servants to have a similar viewpoint, or should government institutions be only for the Protestant population?
% of RC in NICS is way, way above that. I worked there for 8 years. In an office of 99 staff, I was one of two Prods. Now while that's not representative across the board, it is an example.

No. Not every catholic is anti Monarchy, or even nationalist for that matter, any more than every Protestant is a tub thumping Hun. HM is the head of state and therefore her image is to be seen in every CS building. That some might find that offensive is purely a personal viewpoint and not grounds for a compo payout due to PTSD, hurt feelings or percieved offence.

Yeah, I thought long and hard about that for about 10 seconds. I just couldn´t bring myself to post a link from The Guardian in the NAAFI. I don´t even know if that´s possible.
Yes, I see your dilemma. On balance I think it’s probably best if Guardian quotes and articles are confined to The Arrse Hole.

No. Not every catholic is anti Monarchy, or even nationalist for that matter, any more than every Protestant is a tub thumping Hun. HM is the head of state and therefore her image is to be seen in every CS building. That some might find that offensive is purely a personal viewpoint and not grounds for a compo payout due to PTSD, hurt feelings or percieved offence.
Yeah, I phrased that wrongly. As you've pointed out, and Jorrocks has illustrated well, the idiot in this issue (see my opinion at post 2 on the thread) is not representative however, my reaction was to the apparent feeling that if you're RC you shouldn't be in the NICS, which the 'offending' poster has since clarified.

Yeah, I phrased that wrongly. As you've pointed out, and Jorrocks has illustrated well, the idiot in this issue (see my opinion at post 2 on the thread) is not representative however, my reaction was to the apparent feeling that if you're RC you shouldn't be in the CS.
I expressed myself poorly as well. What I should have said was "There's plenty of them who don't like The Crown, but like a half crown"

**** it! Now peace breaks out?
As pointed out by another poster, despite it being Friday night, we're not in the NAAFI Bar, and healthy to be able to have a discussion without anyone's 'action on' being to start mashing buttons.

E2A; inability to spell.

Last edited:

Latest Threads