105mm in afghanistan

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by The_0ne, Mar 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How are the 105mm being used in afghanistan by 29cdo and 7rha

Are they staying with the guns or doing ops as infantry etc?

2. Being used by my brothers Regt out there just set new mogging record as well

3. To kill Terry Taliban.

Hope this helps.

BB

4. fook me your mom must be proud that her son is so intelligent

5. 29 cdo arn't in Afghan, it's 4th regt, and before that 19th. Yes, there with the guns, set a record of 126 in one firemission.

6. I know they arent in afghan at the moment thee probably in norway winter training?

What i meant is when they were out there did they just stay with the guns all the time or did they accompany rest of 3 commando on ops around town etc

7. mmm... I'd hold back with the 'lack of intelligence' insults with such a poorly worded OP.

8. a record of 126 what - dropshorts? :p

9. ho ho ho - care to go anywhere without us TheSpecialOne?

Or without our FSTs that control the air/aviation/mortars/guns?

Thought not...

10. We had our own MFCs but the FOOs were welcome to tab along, as well as the Crab FACs

but yes, everyone is welcome to join the party - as long as they don't leave their sense of humour behind! :p :lol: :) :D :wink: :bounce:

11. Sense of humour is firmly intact - needs to be in this job!

Drop short jibe is just so old I couldn't resist responding...

12. well, I'm an old soldier. My first incarnation in gren was as a gunner on the 105s. My first job was jumping out the back of a 1 Tonny and taking the wheel off so that we could point the barrell in the right direction. It was a cnut of a job, especially when muddy, so I know that gunners need a good sense of humour.

(mind you, firing the 105 in the A/T role was a blast! 8) )

13. A blast and pointless - I often wondered as I ran through anti-tank drills why I wasn't spending that 5 minutes or so in the back of my Pinz driving flat out in the opposite direction!!

14. It was quite funny, we spent a morning carrying out A/T shoots on the 105 on the ranges at Larkhill, then the afternoon firing the Charlie G. It was like overkill to underkillin one easy lesson! :lol:

Which gets me to thinking - apart from long range hits where the layer cannot see the target, has the 105 ever been used to take out a vehicle of any kind?