105 Regt Tartan Rank Slide

105 dont wear the horrendous tartan slide anymore.

i have a few. what rank do you want?

HVMB

Cowhead said:
Write a letter to said regt and ask for details of their PRI?
What PRI?? 105 aint got one, troops get directed to Garrison PRI.

I believe they are getting rid of their Ross tartan kilts and other bits n' bobs. :) :) :)

105 discontinued the wearing of the slide in 2006 for reasons not givin.
looks like only the regulars are alowed to wear it so much for the one army
pipes and drums will still wear the ross tartan though. hvm boy should get to know his regimental history before gobbing of about it though

RQMS 105 has no Ross tartan rank slides, most of the Regiment kept their slides as a souvenir of 'times past and the end of an era' lol, and the Ps & Ds are on the way out

OP Ack pm me, I might be able to help :wink: :wink:

Dont think so, but how many pipers, proper pipers does the Regt have :( :(
I've got a comb and tissue you can borrow :lol: :lol:

i will let the pipers know that their not proper pipers when i am back at the tac i am sure they will pass their regards to you as well

d12gnr said:
105 discontinued the wearing of the slide in 2006 for reasons not givin.
looks like only the regulars are alowed to wear it so much for the one army
pipes and drums will still wear the ross tartan though. hvm boy should get to know his regimental history before gobbing of about it though
Its nothing to do with the regs vs TA, 19 Regt have worn and dropped their slides several times dependant on the whim of the DRA/CO, same as Bty Stable belts and other regimental funnies

all 105 pipers are fully trained pipers one is an instructor fully qualified
pipe major is a bsm of one of the btys.
must be an english thing with the tartan they have been trying to stop us wearing it for years, another piece of history going to the wall.

d12gnr said:
all 105 pipers are fully trained pipers one is an instructor fully qualified
pipe major is a bsm of one of the btys.
must be an english thing with the tartan they have been trying to stop us wearing it for years, another piece of history going to the wall.
I know a couple of pipers from former HQ Bty, one a lassie, and a couple of guys who were training on the drums.

Seen nothing of the Ps & Ds for a while. As I said earlier, word is that the Pipe Band kit is being backloaded and the Ross tartan accoutrements will probably be sold off.

Another Pipe Band, and a little bit of tradition, bites the dust. :(

For the record, the tartan rank slide was abandoned earlier this year when 3 of the (then) 4 BCs reported to the CO, at a Comd Gp Conf, that, having consulted their soldiers, their Btys were not willing to pay for more to be made. After several years with the same original stock, and since these items don't come through the system, they were looking tatty and needed replacing.

This was a simple decision - if you want to keep them, you've got to pay for them. Sadly it seems, the majority did not.

In terms of the P&Ds, yes, it'strue the band will be 'disbanded'. However, enought piping kit will be maint for each Bty to have 2 pipers each, with the remainder of eqpt being sold off and any takings returned to PRI. And yes, we do have a PRI, but only just. It was set up about 4 months ago and is slowly building funds. Shortly, the Regt hope to provide a shop facility. Sadly, if a PRI fund has existed before now, we might not have had to get rid of the rank slides in the first place. In a couple of years we might have enough money for someone to propose that we buy a new stock and start wearing them again!

HVM_Boy said:
105 dont wear the horrendous tartan slide anymore.
d12gnr said:
hvm boy should get to know his regimental history before gobbing of about it though.
Er... i think you find what i said was right. we dont were the slide anymore. Yes its true, and im my humble opinion true that the Pipes and Drums do and should still wear the tartan. No matter how horrendous the tartan looks, i still recognise it as our regimental tartan. I gladly wear the ' Rupert the Bear' tartan trews at any opportunity... although mostly for comedic effect.

d12gnr said:
Well, how do you think i feel!!! The Scots have been trying to make us wear it for years!!! A Scottish tartan for a Regiment that is not *Scottish!!!

:p

*The Regt is Scottish and Ulster. Some people (usually the Scots and the English) tend to forget this at convenient times!!

Well, how do you think i feel!!! The Scots have been trying to make us wear it for years!!! A Scottish tartan for a Regiment that is not *Scottish!!!

what regt are you in then, you dont like wearing your regimental tartan but you put that other badge on your sleeve( not your brigade flash)
and i thought all ruperts dressed for comic effect

d12 it was an englishman that forced through the introduction of the Ross Hunting Tartan, and the name of the Regiment is Scottish and Ulster Gunners (so not an exclusively Scottish Regt).

Which badge are you refering to in your post to HVM Boy?

By the way HVM Boy I am back in the province and I suspect I know you , especially if you owned a pair of those ridiculous tartan trews. Please PM me.

as you rightly say tazz SCOTTISH AND ulster regt.
which englishman was it who introduced it , as i dont remember an englishman being mentioned in the history of why we were wearing yhe ross tartan.
i am quite sure if you do not want to wear the tartan the co will stop you having to wear it as he did with the rank slide

Tazz said:
d12 it was an englishman that forced through the introduction of the Ross Hunting Tartan, and the name of the Regiment is Scottish and Ulster Gunners (so not an exclusively Scottish Regt).

Which badge are you refering to in your post to HVM Boy?
I think it was referring to the Ulster Gunner brigade badge (shown below) that used to be worn on our left sleeve. It is no longer worn on any of our uniforms. It was replaced by the 107 bde flash when we started wearing the RA TRFs on the right sleeve.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr Army Reserve 14
krinkle Gunners 12
Hairyhaw Gunners 8