1000 People Massacred in Ivory Coast!

The Roman Catholic charity Caritas says more than 1,000 people were massacred in Duekoue. That's 200 more than the estimate we heard from the Red Cross. A Caritas spokesman told the Associated Press that Caritas workers visited the town on Wednesday and one neighbourhood was filled with bodies of people who had been shot and hacked to death with machetes. The UN mission has nearly 1,000 peacekeepers in Duekoue but says it has no information of mass killings, AP reports.

Linky .... BBC News - Ivory Coast crisis

I say why is Cavalier Cameron NOT doing anything about protecting these people??

O'wait, there is no wealth in this country.......,so NO protection for these people!

Sad but true!

I say why is Cavalier Cameron NOT doing anything about protecting these people??
Because there's no British involvement worthy of intervention, be it commerce or history.

Côte d’Ivoire as the name implies is in the French sphere of influence so let them sort it.
Exactly, and they already have a Bn (ish?) of troops there.

What would you like him to do exactly, please explain in a coherent structure why the Premier is Cavalier, and more important how to co ordinate with the troops already there from France. Since the UN is mediating surely the British Ambassedor to the UN is attuned to what is reuqired.

Now does anyone remember a certain UK Prime Minister signing an agreement with France? We may be involved whether we like it or not.

The Roman Catholic charity Caritas says more than 1,000 people were massacred in Duekoue. That's 200 more than the estimate we heard from the Red Cross. A Caritas spokesman told the Associated Press that Caritas workers visited the town on Wednesday and one neighbourhood was filled with bodies of people who had been shot and hacked to death with machetes. The UN mission has nearly 1,000 peacekeepers in Duekoue but says it has no information of mass killings, AP reports.

Linky .... BBC News - Ivory Coast crisis

O'wait, there is no wealth in this country.......,so NO protection for these people!

Sad but true!
And you appear to be surprised! FFS, the only time Africans stopped killing each other in such numbers was when the Europeans stopped them during their colonial rule! It has been going on for millenia in various parts of Africa, a way of life where one tribe decided to beat up a neighbouring tribe for slaves/land/cattle etc!
Despite all the bleating by the handwringers, little or nothing was done to stop Mugabe in Zimbabwe from allowing/encouraging his followers, the so called war veterans, from murdering white farmers & opposition politicians & their supporters following their independence! Just watch the rainbow nation as it slowly descends into a similar state as the population realise they are worse off under the corrupt ANC leaders than they were under apartheit!!

What would you like him to do exactly, please explain in a coherent structure why the Premier is Cavalier, and more important how to co ordinate with the troops already there from France. Since the UN is mediating surely the British Ambassedor to the UN is attuned to what is reuqired.
Having had a look through Air Filter's other posts, it would appear he cares less for dying Africans than for slagging the PM.

No commerce of any worth?

They are the world's largest supplier of cocoa FFS!

If I cannot get supplies of finest dark chocolate for Mrs H on her birthday, anniv and Xmas my life will become a misery. Deploy troops now to secure supplies.

No commerce of any worth?

They are the world's largest supplier of cocoa FFS!

If I cannot get supplies of finest dark chocolate for Mrs H on her birthday, anniv and Xmas my life will become a misery. Deploy troops now to secure supplies.
It rather sums up the 'doublethink' of AIR FILTER's ideology:

'You are not allowed to intervene in countries where Britain has huge commercial interests [O&G] unless you intervene in every country in the world that has suffering.'

Let's hope, Herrumph, that Venezuela doesn't go tits-up otherwise we'll be forced to invade to protect the supply of roses in lieu of chocolate for Madam H.

Considering there's already 11,000 odd UN peacekeepers in the Cote d'Ivoire, I doubt the small det of Brownies that the UK could afford to provide could really make any worthwhile difference to the country.

Considering there's already 11,000 odd UN peacekeepers in the Cote d'Ivoire, I doubt the small det of Brownies that the UK could afford to provide could really make any worthwhile difference to the country.
Agreed, and more to the point: why should we?

It wouldn't take too long to name a handful of god awful countries where human rights abuses (the real kind, not the European type) take place with depressing regularity, so we must ask ourselves in which of those Britain can and should intervene.

Côte d'Ivoire aint on my list.

No, seriously, there is a important principle here.

If it aint a oil floating country or a country that holds other assets of "great wealth", we simply do not want to know.

People are people at the end of the day are they not? regardless of origin.

Are we only prepared to help people in peril depending on the the wealth status of their country?

Cavalier Cameron is soon out of his mouse hole when he can smell a profit out of such disasters.

This really grips my shit.

If it aint a oil floating country or a country that holds other assets of "great wealth", we simply do not want to know.
True. We're really pulling in the financial benefits from Kosovo right now, for a start. Sierra Leone's been a gold mine for the British too. As for the billions we made from East Timor, well you can see why we deployed forces there.

No, seriously, there is a important principle here.

People are people at the end of the day are they not? regardless of origin.

Are we only prepared to help people in peril depending on the the wealth status of their country?

Cavalier Cameron is soon out of his mouse hole when he can smell a profit out of such disasters.

This really grips my shit.
The PM's job is, surely, to look after British (and NI) interests. Would you intervene first in a country that produces oil & gas, or a country that provides cocoa to the UK?

Would you have intervened in the various massacres in Jos, or those in Matabeleland, or in Rwanda, or in Cambodia? I'd prefer British resources to be concentrated where they have a positive impact on British interests.

Lets just hope that U.K Forces are not being sucked in to a scenario that we find difficult to exit from .... like another Afghan or Iraq.

Repeat global images of Western Forces bombing various parts of the Middle East on a daily bases are doing nothing positive for our home security effort.

Now we have a major multiple military commitment in sand land at astronomical cost to the British tax payer.

I hope Cavalier Cameron knows what he is doing!
Just guessing here, call it me stratching my balls before i go for a whizz.
But are you wanting elements of HMF to enter into a polictical deadlock which the UN is unsuccesfully trying to deal with, as other arsers have stated 11,000 peace keepers are there already.

How many do you wish to send and just how closely do you wish the bean counters to audit the expenditure in SH support offshore RN participation and mst important of all the sending of media ops to ensure Embedded correspondants are able to accurately cover the news.

After all you seem to have taxpayers money aka the defence budget as your major mojo stick.

Right bladders almost at Victoria Falls overflow so must dash.

ps may i suggest you read up on British foreign policy in regard to UN assistance.