1000 more USMC for Islamabad

Apparently.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=23715

To a query on increase in the strength of the US personnel at Islamabad’s mission, the spokesman said 1,000 US Marines who will be coming to Pakistan will be deployed at the US mission in Islamabad. He said there was no restriction on the number of personnel that a foreign mission could station at its mission but it was done through mutual understanding.

Great posting for the jarheads...... all those girlie bars and nightclubs in Islamabad.....

The US must have one heck of a compound to barrack all those guys. Maybe its all a scheme to create an irresistible target for the jihadis, in order to draw them off from attacking Pakistani institutions...?

Mr_Deputy said:
...or draw them into a conflict.
Also isnt Islamabad where most Taliban go for R&R? If so this is like a reinfoced CAI mission to my mind!
Good on them tho - its what needs to be done.
Whatch for repercussions in UK if it gets messy. Large Pak community herefor course, many with little sympathy for us in the war - I have heard quite a few interviews etc with Pakistanis.
Please excuse my septic ignorance, and no thread drift intended, but is
"Pak" OK but "Paki" bad????

Mr_Deputy said:
xromad said:
Mr_Deputy said:
Also isnt Islamabad where most Taliban go for R&R? If so this is like a reinfoced CAI mission to my mind!
Whatch for repercussions in UK if it gets messy. Large Pak community herefor course, many with little sympathy for us in the war - I have heard quite a few interviews etc with Pakistanis.
Wrong according to who? I feel it could be wrong if intended to. In all other cases I can't see the problem. I heard a US senior officer use the term 'Paki' in a briefing aired globally.
I'm a Brit and don't mind being reffered top as that. It is simply a short form.

Don't pander too much to PC brigade, there is more to life.
Thanks. I was just wondering how broad based the "insult" was. I cannot fathom a reason for it, but I am here of course and not there.

No pandering here :D

RangeStew said:
I wonder if the USMC wouldn't mind starting with Leicester, Bradford and Peterborough then move on to Islamabad ?
Good idea, they could stage through these areas for acclimatization....(but I thought Peattyburrow was a Polish enclave)

Odo

xromad said:
I believe the term paki only became a "bad" word in the UK because of the widespread use of the prefix "fookin" and the suffix "bastard(s)".

The fact that it was/is used as a catch all for anyone of asian appearance can't have helped either.

xromad said:
Mr_Deputy said:
I am unaware of any difference.

Odo_de_StAmand said:
RangeStew said:
I wonder if the USMC wouldn't mind starting with Leicester, Bradford and Peterborough then move on to Islamabad ?
Good idea, they could stage through these areas for acclimatization....(but I thought Peattyburrow was a Polish enclave)

Odo
As long as the Jarheads use live ammo... :twisted:

Latest Threads