1000 'dangerously' untrained TA deployed on Telic

MrPVRd said:
Sobering thought:

If "we" were (apparently) deploying reservist troops who may not have been at the required standard, what were the Spams doing?

8O
Can't speak to standards, but don't they have much longer pre-deployment training periods (and much longer deployments).

Prior to Telic, the senior management always maintained the 4-6 weeks deployment/training time before Ops. I know of TA soldiers sent to Telic 1 with less than 1 years TA service and certainly less than 30 total training time, including trade 8O .

Do you really expect soldiers to be fully competent with this little time and with never having fired a rifle! Some lads were mobilised with a weeks notice or less and found they were not required when the got to the mobilisation centre and thay were sent home again. :evil:

I know one unit where the most experienced soldiers didnt get mobilised, why? I will never know but most of the guys with 8 years service or more werent called. :roll:

Anyway FF you just hate the TA, how long have you got left to do?

I dont hate the TA at all, having had the misfortune of deploying with a TA unit I was disgusted in their lack of military bearing, professionalism and conduct.
They were more interested in getting their 'hardship' allowance and seeing how much shagging they could get in (male and female) and moaned constantly about the workload and discipline. When reminded that they only did it as a hobby so they could sack it when they got back, the usual reply was "you need me more than I need you, the Army couldnt function without us".
While some were very good, they were let down by the typical 'weekend warrior' types.

E

error_unknown

Steady FF. Don't tar us all with the same brush. Yes, there were a few types that did 'chamf' a bit about conditions. But considering the vast majority of us got less than a weeks notice to put our lives on hold, then had to fight the system to get anything like our civvie salaries (I dropped £20k), I think we did pretty well. I know that a lot of regs are now going to say 'hand your kit in, you took the shilling etc'. I don't disagree, but we signed up to defend the realm, not sh*tty little deserts in the middle east.

During my stints in some of the lovliest places the British Army has taken us, some TA Officers and other ranks have shown nothing but exemplerary conduct both military and professional. Others have lived up to the TA tag all too well.

With the DMS at present, all trade groups are struggling to cope with the amount of tours and the TA really are needed by us to get us out of the smelly brown stuff. However, that said, the TA still need to come up to our standards prior to deployment and those with the most experience should be deployed first.

What you are no doubt seeing is political interference at our level, where it is seen that we are getting them trained to an adequate standard prior to deployment, when in reality the training they receive is lacking. Therefore endangering them and us.

E

error_unknown

D-L

I agree entirely, on early Telic deployments had little or no 'beat up' training , whereas even regs get several months pre-depl trg.

A massive number of the most experienced troops were called for Telic 1 (and some crows too). That coupled with subsequent tours has left a skills gap with fewer experienced sldrs able to deploy.

Later telic deployments have had up to 2 months pre-depl trg, so hopefully the gap is closing!

Das Stab said:
, but we signed up to defend the realm, not sh*tty little deserts in the middle east.
Bloody right.

polar

LE
Filbert Fox said:
I dont hate the TA at all, having had the misfortune of deploying with a TA unit I was disgusted in their lack of military bearing, professionalism and conduct.
FF, what did you expect from TA medics? You can't judge the rest of the TA from you experience of the AMS TA.

I used to parade at the same TAC as these loggies, never once did I see them with rifles, they seem to spend all their weekends driving up and down the M1/A1. As for the medics at the same location - we saw the parties but never anyone in uniform.

polar said:
As for the medics at the same location - we saw the parties but never anyone in uniform.
which is my point exactly, certain elements seem to think that if they can get away with this type of behaviour on 'camp', why should deployments be any different? Maybe its the PSIs that need a kick up the arrse, but surely those personnel themselves should realise that their hobby has become reality and should behave accordingly.

The vast majority did and still are doing so.

Just because you had it poor time with your stabs dosn't mean they're all bad. Good and bad soldiers is no exclusive to the TA

i have said, as has DL, that some of the AMS TA do a great job, but the trouble is, the cowboys arent in the minority.

Filbert Fox said:
i have said, as has DL, that some of the AMS TA do a great job, but the trouble is, the cowboys arent in the minority.
Then this is a PSI issue - pisspoor PSIs leads to pisspoor soldiering.

twicer

Old-Salt
mushroom said:
Twicer,
I went through Chilwell for Telic, and it was pretty obvious that if one wasn't up for it, there were ways out. The take up rate for stabs was far higher than that for reservists. So kindly refrain from making ill informed and defamatory comments (or shut the f-ck up in other words),
Mushy,

I am in the TA and have never been a regular, however, I still stand by what I said. As for 'ill informed' comments.... I worked for RTMC for 12 months and I know what went/goes on during the mobilisation process having been involved in it as both student and DS. The training I received for weapon handling was poor and no-one would have passed had it not been for those of us who were SAA trained (I include myself) teaching the rest!

Luckily at that time everybody had volunteered for mobilisation and wanted to go. I think this gave RTMC a false sense of security as at the time we were all trying hard to pass the ITDs, but now that some DO NOT want to pass it can be very hard to raise the standards suddenly and so some get given passes despite not really wanting them or reaching the required skill.

Latest Threads