100 Royal Marines defeat 1500 conventional US troops in exercise

Is there any milage in an "Excercises I (or my mob) put a spanner in..." thread? I'm thinking of an occasion where BUOTC contributed to a timetable slipping. Were you at that camp @CaptainPlume?

If it was Summer ‘92 then yes. I think the only one where we exercised against other TA troops culminating in defence of STANTA FIBUA village. Following year a blur, & my last year a bit like a Cub Scout camp thanks to new CO so I did one to another Unit.

If it was Summer ‘92 then yes. I think the only one where we exercised against other TA troops culminating in defence of STANTA FIBUA village. Following year a blur, & my last year a bit like a Cub Scout camp thanks to new CO so I did one to another Unit.
My memory isn't going then.

The new CO hadn't arrived yet because I remember the old CO grinning wryly as he recounted encountering the enemy recce elements, vehicle borne and mob handed.

So the Adjudant and I drew our pistols...

Basic were up front, with us in depth on the other side of a valley type affair so we could hear when the enemy arrived and see movement but it was too far to see any detail. Thus I was denied the magnificent sight (or so he said) of a certain rugby playing Subbie firing the GPMG standing from his shoulder in the latter stages of their defence.

We had been spared digging in by a wandering RE type with a digger but had to put out wire at ankle height in front of our position. The only difficulty was that the gloves intended for the task (which we had practiced with) failed to materialise and we had to do it barehanded (OC A said "Just be aggressive with it.")

We got the stuff laid out and then waited for the enemy, who appeared first in the form of the aforementioned recce types. Someone must have "seen" them moving up on the flank because my section were despatched towards them to cause a contact. We puddled off through the trees of the intervening forestry and took cover behind a bank just inside the treeline. ISTR they hove into view pretty much as we lay down, dismounted and began to patrol towards our prepared position and thus straight at where we were lying.

Its a this point that my tactical genius contribution came to be. Since we were trading space for time I thought we ought to delay opening fire as long as possible. Unfortunately, we had not discussed this before they showed up and this resulted in a vigorous improvised sign language debate about when we should open fire. My i/c felt the time was 'now' but when he started this they were 150-200m away, the debate continued til the lead bod was 50m distant at which point I relented and fired the GPMG.

I seem to recall that they were due to pass though our position at 1200 or so but didn't reach us until twilight and it was getting dark as we buggered off and left them to it in the dark.

Last edited:
A lot flooding back, including friendly Sapper, disappearing wiring gloves, GPMG at the shoulder & Colonel Richard showing Cavalry flair. Think The Fist got a bit tasty with people from his parent Unit IIRC.

Army Club was a lot of fun ;)

Last edited:

Latest Threads