Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

100 Royal Marines defeat 1500 conventional US troops in exercise

BB then the solution is quite simple. If you don't trust US CAS provide your own.
If we don't trust US CAS, maybe we should just leave you to it.

The USAF is perfectly capable of killing your SF as well. IIRC the guys that killed the Fusiliers had been told not to engage but did so anyway.

Maybe stop giving cowboys access to weaponry?

ETA...
Wondered who on earth would be twat enough to mark this Old...

Which reminded me why I put the tedious, supposedly Commissioned HAC turd on Ignore some years ago.

Bless.

Last edited:
If we don't trust US CAS, maybe we should just leave you to it.
BB it kinda seems your Army is going to be shrunk to the point it won't be able to deploy conventional forces along side our own. Cyber and Drones are great, but we have those already. You lot need to modernize your armor, arty etc and ditch the gloried light infantry which have some very real limitations against other forces who are heavy and your next door neighbors. Your light battalions will run the very real risk of being cutoff and bypassed and left to wither on the vine when dealing with people who believe in maneuver warfare.

Well from what I have gathered they seem to be the equivalent of our Rangers when it comes to training and selection etc. They were organized in a more conventional manner and seem to trying to do the whole 12 man detachments which has it's pros and cons. But will your RM keep the ability to actually conduct an opposed amphibious landing? It kinda seems like they are trying to emulate the SBS to an extent.

I do think they'll keep the amphibious landing capability but it won't be used as much. Obviously it will depend of missions in theatre.

Maybe to support the SBS like the SFSG do?

The point of placing articles is to shape perceptions and the fact that Carter attached himself to the article with such an extended name-check shows that this is a perception shared at the highest level. If it was done casually, that makes those involved even more cretinous.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Where you see dangerous perceptions at high levels and some others see some kind of conspiracy to support further cuts, all I see is a puff piece which which the CDS has remarked upon.

One of us is right; I hope it's me.

BB it kinda seems your Army is going to be shrunk to the point it won't be able to deploy conventional forces along side our own. Cyber and Drones are great, but we have those already. You lot need to modernize your armor, arty etc and ditch the gloried light infantry which have some very real limitations against other forces who are heavy and your next door neighbors. Your light battalions will run the very real risk of being cutoff and bypassed and left to wither on the vine when dealing with people who believe in maneuver warfare.
Yep.

Seems as if our Army is very much the poor cousin, while the RAF and RN seem to ahve thought about future needs threats and requirements, and seems to be fielding some very capable kit - T45, various types of submarines, Typhoon, F35 etc.

Yep.

Seems as if our Army is very much the poor cousin, while the RAF and RN seem to ahve thought about future needs threats and requirements, and seems to be fielding some very capable kit - T45, various types of submarines, Typhoon, F35 etc.
Yes and without trying to be an offensive Hillbilly from BFN...
Your Army will be used as an example of what to fund and what not to fund in our own budget wars.
When the end strength cuts come to our Army so the Navy can screw up their ship building program even more, the light infantry mafia is going to be told to eat a bag full of dicks. The 11 Active and 5 Guard ABCT's won't be cut. Infantry BCT's will take the hit and the National Guard will get to make up the slack if it comes down to it.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, we’re a fighting nation by birthright.
Getting shiters and knocking the piss out of each other then bezzering afterwards is part of our DNA. Everyone has come over here and had a pop, the Vikings, the Romans, the French and every other cxxt who thinks they can take us on. It may have taken us a while to reconsolidate, but we’ve managed to fxxk everyone off back into the oggin with a “fxxk me that was an expensive hiding” look on their faces. Bottom line, we don’t need anyone else.
We just pretend we do so we can rob all your kit (why pay for it when a mug and his kit is easily parted).
So hand over your Gucci kit, scoff and ammunition and fxcking watch how fighting is done properly

A similar thing happened on Exercise Reforger in 87.
One British armoured sqn and a Bundeswehr infantry company ruined the day for the 'Hell on Wheels' Armoured Div.
Great fun, excellent training but in the grand scheme of things nothing to get excited about.

The RM were used as a free thinking enemy who did throw some curveballs at the Semper Highs.

I recall a UK TV doco which featured footage of a USMC excercise where the OPFOR were themselves USMC. At one point the OPFOR had hidden in a FIBUA type facility and the doco types were interviewing their commander (in the dark). He commented that he could hear Blue Forces around them, at one point I think downstairs in the same bulding. They were clearly not being thorough and he pointed this out sying his guys would be able to cause great trouble shortly.