100 REGT TO GET COMBINED PARA AND COMMANDO ROLE

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by LIGHTGUN-DC, Mar 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the TA FAS (now delayed till oct????) 100`s soldiers will get the chance of a lifetime with the added support role to 29 , soldiers already have the chance of attempting p coy and subsiquent parachute training. 29 missed out on op telic due to the navys cut backs a few years ago when they binned 289 Bty, now someone has seen the light and put a proposal to get that role back,. 201Bty will support 7 Para, 266 Bty to 29Cdo and 307 to 40 Regt. All regiment personnel will have the chance to be badged both para and cdo under this new scheme, a scoop for any TA soldier and unit. So if you want to transfer to the royal regiments premier TA regt, give us a shout. 8O

2. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

I remember seeing members of 29 Cdo RA quite distinctly during Op Telic 1. :?

3. He was talking about TA units? Since 289 was binned 29 has not had a dedicated TA Bty?

4. GunnersQuadrant

The question should be does it really need one within its role with 3 Cdo Bde?

5. Well 131 Cdo Sqn RE has been on the orbat of 3 Cdo Bde for ages,so why not.Prior to that it was a Para Sqn,that supported the now defunct 44 Para Bde.

6. When I was being mobilised for Telic 1 there was a group of gunners wearing Para headdress. They were told that they would be going to the AS90 Regt, and were thoroughly delighted. In Camp Centurion, a Gunner officer came in and said - Light Gun people you'd best go to 3Cdo Bde. They walked out to the transport wearing RM berets and the broadest grins possible.

7. GunnersQuadrant

And i am sure that the Cdo lads were so impressed with someone picking a beret out of a box to deploy with them. Get real

8. So it is true about 100, well I would very much like to join but oh yes they are so far down the line in terms of promotion plots that not only can I not transfer into the regiment but there are members of the regiment currently waiting for a space so they can move back!!!

9. No it isn't true about 100 Regt RA - at all.

They will merely provide the 'Contingent Component' for certain 'tied' regular Regiments. With money as tight as it is across the board, does anyone honestly believe that they're going to throw dosh at the TA to effectively collect badges for capabilities they will (in all certainty) never EVER use.

Do I really need to repost CGS' letter on this - or can we assume that 'LIGHTGUN-DC' is talking utter rubbish throughout the entire post?

Thought so.

10. Deleted.

11. Ah Froggy,

That would be a good idea, in fact I like it a lot except for one thing at the moment that would mean training again for cloud punching!!!! Done it before, bought the daft yeomanry jumper, hated it. Maybe I'll stick where I am until 269 does finally re role as a guns battery once again and then..... well we'll see!!!!! Then again from what I hear they'll be tied to 103 and that isn't that great either. Ho hum what to do!??!?

12. Worked with some of the 100 guys who had been given maroon lids on their gun camp in Feb-startling lack of a sense of humour in all of them.
    That said, their PSI's were from 29 and were pretty decent.

And considering there was a nice shiney photo of 29's gunline on Telic 1 on the front of my Haynes Light Gun Manual, I would have to come to the conclusion that they were indeed there. :wink:

13. What's the score with 103 Regiment these days?

14. 103 are ok but there are too many big wigs trying to play personal politics and making some massive errors in judgement. It becomes a little wearing after a bit.

15. 103 are still converting to light gun a year on :oops: