10 years ago

Last time I saw my old man was 10 years ago today. It was a Wednesday, and he was a regular Army training Major at 34 Sigs TA in Middlesbrough. He went off out on his racing bike in the afternoon and got hit by a car. Any body remember him? He was from Aberdeen and had 8 kids, was in the Signals for 25 years.

He loved the Army, and was proud to be part of the Royal Corps. Just wondered if anyone one in here knew him.

George W, was at Ouston before I was born, 39 Inf Bde HQ and Sig Sqn when I was born, 16 Sigs in Krefeld and 2 Sigs in York and a few more postings in between.

Feel for you, Mate, I was in 69-91, so we served at the same time but don't think I knew him.

I hope the two buggers I spawned do something like this when I pop off this Mortal Coil, doubt it, somehow.

I do believe he was our training major. I think I joined just after the accident, all those who knew him were greatly affected by his passing.

Yes I knew him. It was indeed a sad loss. I feel for you and your family. I can’t believe that it has been 10 years already.

It was obvious that he made an impact on a good many people judging by the turn out for his funeral and I have not been to a funeral where a life was celebrated more.

A true gent.

Regards,

Q.

Thank you for that Q, I have sent you a PM.

It really is helping me feel better knowing that there are people that haven’t forgotten him, thank you.

thank you for that q, i have sent you a pm.

It really is helping me feel better knowing that there are people that haven’t forgotten him, thank you.
hello, 4 this 2, its just over, not out.

He was my troop commander in Verden (1978/79) I used to babysit for George and Linda when they only had 2 daughters.

He was a friend as well as a boss.

I was gutted when I heard about what happened to him.

Yes knew him too when I was in 34 Sigs... great bloke. 10 years.

Also 3 years since another (ex) 34 Sigs guy died on ops 'Tomo' cas no 96 in Afghanistan, also a great bloke.

16 years today.

(The OP is my younger brother).

@06FA56Paderborn we did indeed have a maroon van, before that was a brown van, a minibus my dad got on the cheap from Heathrow, and it served us many a year!! I still have fond memories of those vans, and probably the reason I drive a VW now.

I hate this time of year.

16 years today.

(The OP is my younger brother).

@06FA56Paderborn we did indeed have a maroon van, before that was a brown van, a minibus my dad got on the cheap from Heathrow, and it served us many a year!! I still have fond memories of those vans, and probably the reason I drive a VW now.

I hate this time of year.
Don't blame you for hating this time of year you have good reason to do so.

Your mother popped into my thoughts just the other day, someone mentioned the dog we had at the time in York, a Flatcoated Retriever, which in turn led my thoughts to your Mum and the Australian Cattle,(correct me if I am wrong but that is how I think of them) dogs she had. Hope she and the rest of the family are well.

Don't blame you for hating this time of year you have good reason to do so.

Your mother popped into my thoughts just the other day, someone mentioned the dog we had at the time in York, a Flatcoated Retriever, which in turn led my thoughts to your Mum and the Australian Cattle,(correct me if I am wrong but that is how I think of them) dogs she had. Hope she and the rest of the family are well.
Australian Shepherd! She still has two of them, although in the 16 years she has stopped the breeding side of life, and concentrating on loving dogs in the normal way. She also now has a collie. I am currently in Scotland, but was back in York yesterday and visited her in Strensall for a brew and the like. She's doing as well as she can do at this time, and if I can figure out who you are (apologies, my brain has been pickled over the years), then I will most certainly pass on your regards! If you are who I think you are, and your dog was black (and you lived next door to the left as I look in my mind to the front of the house), then I'm sure she will know who I mean. Although now I think about this, I'm getting a sense of de ja vu about discussing this with you...? Might be the old age...

I conversed by PM with the OP, your brother, back in 2011 so he may have passed on the gist of our conversations. Indeed we did live next door and our dog was black, I was "husband of" as it was Mrs 06 who was serving at the time if that gives you any more clues. I know what you mean about the old age.... just creeps up on you.

Latest Threads