10 Worst British Aircraft

Maalox

On ROPS
On ROPs
The Harry Tate initially had a bad reputation for killing pilots due to it giving absolutely no stall warning, and for being slaughtered during the "Fokker Scourge". It subsequently gave a better account of itself.

The Harry Tate initially had a bad reputation for killing pilots due to it giving absolutely no stall warning, and for being slaughtered during the "Fokker Scourge". It subsequently gave a better account of itself.
I think you mean Bloody April (1917) as it didn't enter service until November 1916, well after the 'scourge' was over.

Are there any statistics on the number of carrier landing accidents (per x landings) involving the Sea Vixen compared with the Buccaneer?

Same area airframe and engines, and the same carriers. However the Buccaneer was intended to be a naval aircraft from the outset. Could this explain the difference?

I'm going to nominate the Tornado. An aircraft spiked by build partners. It could have had at least another 700nm range and a sizeable increase in weapons load if it wasn't a Nato/ eu unity program Bae had a "plan" to lengthen the beast for the GR4 but money got in the way of capability. No change their then.
N.B. still love the beast. All that in an airframe that's tineyweeny.
in otherwords a IDS in the ADV airframe ?

Are there any statistics on the number of carrier landing accidents (per x landings) involving the Sea Vixen compared with the Buccaneer?

Same area airframe and engines, and the same carriers. However the Buccaneer was intended to be a naval aircraft from the outset. Could this explain the difference?
The Bucc was designed from the outset with Boundary Layer Control and blown flaps for a lower landing speed. The Sea Vixen was really designed as a trans-sonic interceptor.

At least 61 Buccs were lost to 1978
Buccaneer
I was watching an interview with a RAF Tornado pilot post Op Granby
When asked about the losses to the Tornado fleet of 6 combat and 3 non combat crashes he pointed out they lost aircraft on fast low level training every year in peace time.

I was watching an interview with a RAF Tornado pilot post Op Granby
When asked about the losses to the Tornado fleet of 6 combat and 3 non combat crashes he pointed out they lost aircraft on fast low level training every year in peace time.
We expected to lose a lot more Tornados than we did.

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads