10 PARA remembered - Gen Petraeus

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by OldSnowy, Sep 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This seemed to have slipped out without notice: quote from Gen Petraeus' speech to RUSI last week:

"Like all Americans, Ambassador Crocker and I value very highly our two nations’ longstanding relationship and the important contribution your country’s service men and women are making in Iraq. I’ve been privileged to serve with conventional units and special forces of the UK over the years on operations and exercises throughout Europe and the Middle East, including Bosnia and of course in Iraq. I’ve enjoyed wet November exercises on Salisbury Plain, jumps from a balloon at an old RAF base, and mess rugby with a territorial parachute regiment unit in Edinburgh, and the latter was particularly memorable, I can assure you."

So, there you have it - he is what he is today because of a Mess Dinner with 10 PARA. I hope you're satisfied!

(Edited for Mongness - should be 15 PARA, not 10.)

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

OldSnowy,

10 Para was the southern based Bn, centered on London (disbanded, with the remenants merged into 4 Para under SDR).

If the dinner was with the porridge gobblers, then he would have been hosted by 15 Para (disbanded, with the remenants merged into 4 Para under Options for Change).

Blast - my ignorance of all things Maroon shows itself again! - OS

3. Well i fecking didnt,maybe thats why i never made General though :?

4. Off topic: The 10 PARA banner is one of the few British army banners kept outside the UK. It is at the Airborne museum in Oosterbeek.

I remember reading an article about the Parachute regiment donating it to the museum when the battalion was disbanded somewhere in the 90ies.

5. 15th Battalion, a good unit with some excellent lads...much missed

6. 10 PARA was disbanded in the summer of 1999 and subsequently in Sep of that year we marched onto the lawn outside the Hartenstein Hotel in Arnhem for the last time as 10 PARA and marched off as 10 Company, 4 PARA for the first time.