10+ mile runs. Oldness. Broken.

FailyScaley

War Hero
Do many of you do these, especially some of the older farts?

I'm early 40s and my body is starting to feel them much more acutely than it used to.

I'm doing 3 or 4 11-13 mile runs each week, plus a few more normal c.5mile runs. I always have 2 days off the fizz. Probably average about 50 miles running per week. Almost all of it is essentially fell running or gravel/mud paths on t'hills.

I'm not setting records, normally slog round at an average pace of 8 to 8.5 mins/mile.

I do enjoy them but have a niggling feeling that my body is starting to decide it's time to be middle aged. I don't want it to be.

I suppose I could use a good warm down process, it's something I've never bothered with before. I do 20 mins of stretching each morning before my daily bodyweight circuits and free weights.

For reference I'm a 6'3" mega unit of 100kg.

Any suggestions? Better stretching and warm down periods or should I just **** it all off and get down Wetherspoons each morning at 8am for seven pints of wife beater?

Most PTIs these days are half my age and while they're always grand lads I need some age/weight/size specific advice I think.

I'm a few years behind you, but recovering from a significant period of 'don't you dare do PT' and feeling it!

I'm doing 3-5 miles as a normal daily run, time dependant, and really know when I haven't cooled down properly. I'd think about seeing if the QMSI is about for advice as (s)he'll tend to be more in your age bracket.

From what I've seen since getting the green light to train again I'd suggest the end of activity stretches and cool down are absolutely key.

What niggles and signals are you getting and we might be able to offer more specific advice - I'm guessing ankles, knees, back?

FailyScaley

War Hero
I'm a few years behind you, but recovering from a significant period of 'don't you dare do PT' and feeling it!

I'm doing 3-5 miles as a normal daily run, time dependant, and really know when I haven't cooled down properly. I'd think about seeing if the QMSI is about for advice as (s)he'll tend to be more in your age bracket.

From what I've seen since getting the green light to train again I'd suggest the end of activity stretches and cool down are absolutely key.

What niggles and signals are you getting and we might be able to offer more specific advice - I'm guessing ankles, knees, back?

Thanks. Good points.

Re specifics, other than the general soreness of being me (!) it's nothing laser focused. Ankles and back ok, knees as can be expected.

Should also add I'm a reservist now so without the benefit of that close monitoring. Am doing it all myself, fitting it in around some kind of life on the outside.

I'd say it's mainly muscular rather than joints at this stage. I'm carting around an awful lot of me!

Thighs, inner thighs especially. Shoulder blades down my back. Neck and head. I know that's not particularly descriptive!

I still feel great, but assume I'll feel like that when I'm a properly old bloke.

FailyScaley

War Hero
Also to add:

Each morning I wake at sparrow fart and before the Mrs and kids start laying waste to the house I do...

Circuits, pressups, triceps dips, leg raises, burpees, other bits. Do them in 25s, 3 full circuits.

Also do a 30 minute free weight session. Only 6kg dumbells, the usual stuff.

I practice and teach Krav to civvies and my unit. That's 2 x 2hr sessions a week. It's pretty brutal.

Then the running / cardio. Also generally Walk about 8-10 miles a day in addition to running. I like the walking.

Thanks. Good points.

Re specifics, other than the general soreness of being me (!) it's nothing laser focused. Ankles and back ok, knees as can be expected.

Should also add I'm a reservist now so without the benefit of that close monitoring. Am doing it all myself, fitting it in around some kind of life on the outside.

I'd say it's mainly muscular rather than joints at this stage. I'm carting around an awful lot of me!

Thighs, inner thighs especially. Shoulder blades down my back. Neck and head. I know that's not particularly descriptive!

I still feel great, but assume I'll feel like that when I'm a properly old bloke.

Always been reserve, so never that closely 'monitored'

I'd look at what kit you are wearing to run too - decent undershorts and running socks can make a huge difference on the thighs and legs - they do on me.

if it is inner thighs then look to do some groin work after running, make sure the inner thigh is stretched off and coooled down properly. upper back from running, I've never experienced, maybe some neck, shoulder rotations and twists to stretch off, you probably know the arm down the centre of the back one?

I have to say that this is an age thing and it isn't likely to get better.
Whilst it's admirable that you want to keep this up, it may be that you have to re-think you phys routine.
I'm not saying this as a fitness freak, but it's a simple fact that you are getting older and you will have to work your way around this by changing the routine and allowing yourself more time to recover and apprecite that you are not in your 20's anymore.
I enjoy hillwalking but my knees are really now letting me know I'm about to hit 47 and I have to adjust my walks accordingly :(

lert

LE
Same age bracket as you but stopped running seriously about 5 years ago after having both knees rebuilt and having a reasonably serious bike crash that left my lower back with some alignment issues.

Since then cycling has been my main source of CV phys and now the spring's here I'll put in around 250-300ish miles a week split between the commute and some longer rides at the weekend. Like you though it's getting harder to ignore the niggles and general aches.

If I could recommend one thing to add to your routine it would be yoga. It's as good a flexibility and core workout as exists anywhere, will do your joints no end of good and if you can get over the image problems and self consciousness there's normally an astonishing amount of clunge in the class. I'm not going to say it changed my life but it's kept me doing more than might otherwise have been the case.

Instead of having 2 days off completely, it could be worth having "flexibility" days, and having an extended stretching session to work on overall range of movement, as opposed to a warm-up / warm-down routine only. You'll still be working the muscles, but in a non-impact way, so they don't tighten up afterwards.

FailyScaley

War Hero
Thanks gents, some really interesting stuff here.

@olafthered noted. I actually know my trainers are a bag of bollocks now and need replacing. I used cycling shorts years ago when being horribly beasted, will get a pair. I have some swank 'hilly' running socks which are great. Also; fnar at 'groin work', I've always been particularly diligent in that respect!

@Speedy that make me frown. I know you're right but I'm not ready to go quietly into the night just yet. Points noted though, thanks.

@lert is pilates similar? My wife does it so she could perhaps teach me some moves. I have an unreasonable hatred of cycling, I'm not sure why. Perhaps one to get over. I don't have the money for swank bike or kit though.

@Major Fuckwit That's a very good idea actually, cheers. I really love the stretching, makes me feel so good when I've done it. I'll aim to factor that in. Cheers.

YetAnotherRock

War Hero
I'm no expert, just sounds like a LOT of Phys - overtraining is just as limiting as little or no training.
May be worth looking at the Maffetone HRM method (180-age) and focus on building your aerobic engine! Requires patience but makes training much more enjoyable and potentially injury free.

FailyScaley

War Hero
I'm no expert, just sounds like a LOT of Phys - overtraining is just as limiting as little or no training.
May be worth looking at the Maffetone HRM method (180-age) and focus on building your aerobic engine! Requires patience but makes training much more enjoyable and potentially injury free.

You're probably right but I've little choice really. I'm prone to run to fat very quickly. If I didn't do it I know I'd hit 120kg in no time which is scary. I like to keep the 100kg bang on if poss, it suits me.

Heartrate wise I've always worked on 220-age but will look at your suggestion. Thanks.

For reference on a 10 mile run at 8 minute miles my Heartrate will be around 130 on the flat and downhill and up to c.175 on the uphill. It tends to max out at about 195 but can push it higher when I'm blowing my hoop out.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
As you get older, the big enemy is injury and I'd incline to shorter runs mixed in with other exercise so you do something every day without your body giving you a hard stop - a two week lay up because of a pull is really boring and you simply don't heal as quickly or as well and you lose fitness faster. My Springer insists on a five mile walk (he does about fifteen) and that, combined with a run, a game of squash or a bike ride balances my deep affection for beer and grub. I'm thinking of taking up rugby refereeing next season to ensure a compulsory Saturday afternoon trundle.

I'm just north of fifty and the secret for my vintage seems to be to keep very active but don't tear the arse out of it - which is easier said than done if you've played competitive sport for most of your life. What keeps me sensible is the knowledge that I can easily add half a stone if I knacker myself.

FailyScaley

War Hero
What keeps me sensible is the knowledge that I can easily add half a stone if I knacker myself.

Thanks. The above is a major concern.

I've been banged up before, a few times actually, but nothing too bad since my mid 30s. It does sincerely worry me that a bad injury now could see me ruined. I've carried a leg injury since T1 and rehabilitated it to a good level. It's still ugly as hell though. Never going to be an underpants model for Littlewoods.

My walking is my bread and butter fizz. The c.10 miles a day (at c.12 minute mile pace) keeps me moving. And I absolutely love it.

The running, weights etc is to keep me contemporary and useful in unit. It's not an option. Well, of course it is, I could just leave or take on a less arduous role - but I don't want to. I always imagined 45 was the time for that.

Gah, ageing is a bloody curse.

Thanks to all.

lert

LE
@lert is pilates similar? My wife does it so she could perhaps teach me some moves. I have an unreasonable hatred of cycling, I'm not sure why. Perhaps one to get over. I don't have the money for swank bike or kit though.

You sound like you can still run reasonably seriously. I can't, that's why I cycle.

I've never tried pilates but I think it's reasonably similar to yoga, a bit more focussed on stopping your wife's pelvic floor falling out though. Yoga is a pretty whole body evolution and is actually very good body conditioning. You'll get a proper dab on and ache in some very unusual places but it'll be worth it. Most local authority gyms run classes for next to nothing.

Thanks gents, some really interesting stuff here

@Major Fuckwit That's a very good idea actually, cheers. I really love the stretching, makes me feel so good when I've done it. I'll aim to factor that in. Cheers.

I use a book called "the anatomy of stretching" to build a daily stretch, depending on what I think needs most work on a given day. It's less than £20. I'll stick up the ISBN when I get home. Good thing is, the author has a website with other flexibility stuff on for free.

FailyScaley

War Hero
You sound like you can still run reasonably seriously. I can't, that's why I cycle.

I've never tried pilates but I think it's reasonably similar to yoga, a bit more focussed on stopping your wife's pelvic floor falling out though. Yoga is a pretty whole body evolution and is actually very good body conditioning. You'll get a proper dab on and ache in some very unusual places but it'll be worth it. Most local authority gyms run classes for next to nothing.

Am pissing myself here. As is wife after I read that out. That's precisely why she goes to pilates!

Thanks, will have a look at local leisure centre online. Am sure they'll do it. Ta.

FailyScaley

War Hero
I use a book called "the anatomy of stretching" to build a daily stretch, depending on what I think needs most work on a given day. It's less than £20. I'll stick up the ISBN when I get home. Good thing is, the author has a website with other flexibility stuff on for free.

Fantastic. Thanks very much.

The running, weights etc is to keep me contemporary and useful in unit. It's not an option. Well, of course it is, I could just leave or take on a less arduous role - but I don't want to. I always imagined 45 was the time for that.

Gah, ageing is a bloody curse.

Cheers, ****! I hit 45 today!

P.s. You Bastard!

D

Deleted 4886

I'm 54- I do 4-5 km a day 6 days a week- once a week I do 14-16km across hills and all sorts. it's enough for me. I don't run as I have a 6km per hr pace and don't wan't to knacker my knees any more. On Sundays I rest.

Latest Threads