10 have quit due to Nimrod safety

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by singha61, May 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From AP
    At least 10 pilots and crew have quit their posts at RAF Kinloss in the last decade because of safety concerns over the ageing Nimrod fleet, it is claimed.

Aviation writer David Morgan said he was aware of a number of Nimrod personnel who had left the Scottish air base following worries about the aircraft's systems, including air-to-air refuelling.

He was speaking in the wake of a coroner's ruling that the entire RAF fleet of Nimrod aircraft has never been airworthy and should be grounded.
  2. Hmmm, 10 years and "at least 10" pilots and crew quit....nothing to do with perhaps they may have left due to time served, other reasons etc.
  3. It would be quite nice if David Morgan could state his sources for this statement. It may be true, but at present it cannot be verified. I'd have thought that the personnel leaving for the reasons he suggests would/should be prepared to make their views public - in the interests of supporting their former comrades in arms.

This is a serious and worrying issue. Casual and perhaps unsubstantiated comment does not help.
  4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

10 crew in 10 years eh.... Wonder how many Fast jet crew have left in that time?
    Considering how much more civ airlines pay compared to the RAF plus they are already multi-engine trained make's them a prime catch for the likes of BA ect.
    Slow news day perhaps?....
  5. 10 in 10 years!

I suggest the author of this non-story identifies the current outflow rate across this TG before he starts wibbling again.

Cos it's you guys, I'll tell you what the outflow rate is: 89%.
  6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

After Granby we lost blokes in droves to BaE ect because of the better pay & conditions offered on the outside.(at least 5 Armourer's from my Tornado Sqn)
  7. We've had more Lynx pilots 'quit' due to 'safety concerns' ffs. Non story.
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If the 10 in question stated in their decision "because the facking thing is a death trap" as one of their reasons for leaving then its a reasonable to report it. If a Lynx crew quit because "the rattling hurts my fillings" or the FJ crew quit because "its lonely" then it isn't...