10,000 British troops to be in Afghanistan within a year

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr._Average, Feb 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably the result of leaving Iraq soon thus having more troops available for Afghanistan. Just a guess of course.

2. If only all other NATO countries were so comitted

3. Jackpot cannot wait for my turn!

4. Or next turn!

5. From the same article: "However, the Canadian government confirmed last week that it plans to withdraw all its troops from the country within two years, a move which will create a vacuum that can only really be filled by the US or Britain."......is this pukka gen? I hadn't heard anything reference the Canadians pulling out altogether?? How long before the Danes/Estonians get the urge?? I've got a sneaky suspicion that I heard the Danes were scaling down somewhat.....its Sinday and Im too lazy to Google though!! :)

6. ^^I remember reading something about the Danes moving to the North. I will try and find you a link.

7. Yes the Canadians are pulling out.

8. I was in Afghanistan in '06 and there was talk of the Canadians pulling out then. They were taking a fearsome amount of casualties at the time.

9. Obama thanked the Canadians profusely for their contribution on his visit North this week, and acknowledged they were leaving. The Canadian Prime Minister repeated his message that Canada were pulling out.

The Canadians have certainly made a marked contribution to Afghanistan, and filling their place is something the Germans should now be encouraged to do.

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I take it that last bit was said in jest? The chances of any European NATO member (other than the East Europeans) going anywhere near the fighting is negligible. The Dutch, who are down South, are heading out next year in a fighting capacity, and aren't too happy to have been stuck in a bad area to start with!

Sorry, I take that back - the Danes are still in here for the time being. It's the 'large' Armies in Europe who will not put their troops regularly in harm's way - German, French, Italian, Spanish - and I fear that, no matter what Mr O'Bama promises them, they are not about to start now.

11. The Germans have just agreed to increase their troop numbers- by an earth- shattering 250- 300. :roll: There is absolutely no chance of them doing more before 2010 as none of the politicians will take a decision before the election in September- especially a guaranteed vote-loser like that.