1 year tours

Just seen Sky news quoting a newspaper (Telegraph?) that we're heading for 1 year tours.

Thoughts?

You're not going to have a say anyway so get it down your neck. The plus point is like the yanks lessons learned wont be forgotten every six months. Negative point is your missus isn't going to be there when you get back and she will have flogged your DVD's.

I suppose it's a novel way of keeping tour intervals the same with a smaller army!

Replacing 'short-tour syndrome' with 'couldn't-give-a-fúckitis'

Z

Zarathustra

Well considering at the moment with PDT your looking at nearly a year anyway, we'd end up doing a year PDT then a year away then straight back into PDT. Still as long as they didn't axe LSA we'd rake it in.

You're not going to have a say anyway so get it down your neck. The plus point is like the yanks lessons learned wont be forgotten every six months. Negative point is your missus isn't going to be there when you get back and she will have flogged your DVD's.
Just every 12 months instead...

Not to mention the longer duration would require more r&r and down time to ease the stresses of tour.

On the plus side POTL would be 2 months long, and you'd have a another 2 months worth of leave to take on top, excluding any leave not taken prior.

6 months PDT, 12 month tour, 4 months off minimum.

Not to mention the longer duration would require more r&r and down time to ease the stresses of tour.

On the plus side POTL would be 2 months long, and you'd have a another 2 months worth of leave to take on top, excluding any leave not taken prior.

****ing hell, can I sign back up? (Oh I see 12 months in the middle, **** that). I'd have done it when I was young and keen though.

I wonder if JPA would allow you to take over more than 15 days onto your next years entitlement,its hard enough fitting it all in now.

I wonder if JPA would allow you to take over more than 15 days onto your next years entitlement,its hard enough fitting it all in now.
It does now... 15 are automatically carried over, in certain circumstances then more can be carried over.

I would imagine a whole 365(+) days on tour would count as 'certain circumstances'.

Op bonus would be nice too.

I think there's a need to distinguish between tour lengths for what you gentlemen would so sweetly call REMF's, and frontline infantrymen.

If the year is spent sitting in Bastion then OK, it's a bit tough on families , but no different to unaccompanied tours that have gone on for years.

For frontline infantry, it's a different matter, and we'd need to change the way ops are run if it wasn't to end in massive PTSD problems.

P

pp0470

I think there's a need to distinguish between tour lengths for what you gentlemen would so sweetly call REMF's, and frontline infantrymen.

If the year is spent sitting in Bastion then OK, it's a bit tough on families , but no different to unaccompanied tours that have gone on for years.

For frontline infantry, it's a different matter, and we'd need to change the way ops are run if it wasn't to end in massive PTSD problems.
Very fair point - even the seperation element must be much harder for those out front.

How about 12mth and 6mth tours running concurrently & length decided by role and duties?

Admin nightmare I know, but still...

On another point, is it possible to get mid tour R&R flights direct to BKK??

I heard on BFBS this morning that it's apparently only int. postings and OMLT type jobs that are looking at 12 monthers out there.

However, that should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

Before we decided to surrender and do a runner in 2015 and discussions were ongoing for plans that would basically turn Bastion into the largest city in Afghanistan, there was talk of building married quarters there...

I heard on BFBS this morning that it's apparently only int. postings and OMLT type jobs that are looking at 12 monthers out there.

However, that should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.
The Telegraph article suggests 12 months for OMLT types and possibly 9 months for others. Its what the US generals want. The recent 3 part series on Afghanistan mentioned this specifically. Every 6 months a different Brigade and a different commander, with new ideas, I can see their point of view a lack of continuity.

Having said that, I did speak to some US troops who were on year long tours when I was away, morale varied some very low, some indifferent, some good.

For the record, I think my dear lady would go nuts, DVD's would be the least of my worries.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
A fair few people have already done 1 year HERRICKs, and others are doing so now. I worked on a HERRICK a couple of years ago with several UK Officers who were on 1 year tours. They had 3 x R&R, and extra leave at the end. All completed the tours without mental or physical collapse, although the couple I met afterwards were absolutely knackered. They were in HQ postings - not frontline, certainly, but still non-stop, and anyone who thinks that senior (Col and above) have a slack time on Ops should think again.

So it is do-able, has been done already, and a good body of evidence already exists relating to the benefits and effects of a twelve-monther. In other words - it's nothing new, another made-up crap story, nothing to see here, move along........

The US have wanted us to follow them on this matter for years. They did in Iraq, in Afghanistan and will do so for future conflicts we go skipping hand in hand into.

The British have always refused, what we do works for us. I'm not suggesting that masses of troops would leave, but then we don't need masses to leave to create problems. Bringing wives and families around to the idea would be very difficult. It's hard enough for many as it is.

I think we are safe for a while. We just have to remind the yanks of the last time they thought they knew better than us, but didn't; Sangin.

how about if they did an r and r package where after 4 months you can go home or have the option of having it on a Rand R island with booze , entertainmnet laid on for a week. you get this twice during your tour and get take ehier one. Or at least a weekend away from the FOB so you and your lads can have a few pints and unwind without the fun police in bastion breathing down your knecks