1 year hard labour commuted to 60 days FP No. 1 - bugger!

Command Sergeant Major? Someone looked up the wrong acronym!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Aussie soldiers passing British locations disliked to a great extent seeing British soldiers undergoing field punishment No1 and often untied them from the Limber wheel. To the Aussies it was akin to the treatment dished out to their ancestors. I am surprised to see here that it was used on Aussies, I thought Birdwood disallowed it?

Aussie soldiers passing British locations disliked to a great extent seeing British soldiers undergoing field punishment No1 and often untied them from the Limber wheel. To the Aussies it was akin to the treatment dished out to their ancestors. I am surprised to see here that it was used on Aussies, I thought Birdwood disallowed it?
Perhaps this is one of those cases where the officer dealing at CM overstepped the mark. It happened a lot. The reviewing authority then restored the correct limits for troops not conscripted.
Entries made in the records of soldiers were not always immediate, and the unit may have waited for the sentence to be confirmed or amended at the mercy of higher command. More so in wartime.

Maybe hard labour would have been the preferred option...

Well that is probably why FP No.1 was given- the thinking must have gone something along the lines of " if we put soldiers in the glasshouse for these kinds of offences, they'll just do it to get out of fighting ".

Well that is probably why FP No.1 was given- the thinking must have gone something along the lines of " if we put soldiers in the glasshouse for these kinds of offences, they'll just do it to get out of fighting ".
Almost certainly. I read in one book about WWI executions ("Blindfold and Alone", perhaps?) that at the start of the war a group of deserters were seen being marched away to start very long sentences and all were smiling. We started shooting deserters after that.

Latest Threads